U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Some of you asked specifically which thread Anifani was referring to. Although she has given me no permission to speak for her, I am pretty sure I know which thread she is talking about, and it is "Broke 60 year old friends". It's very active and hence is already quite long. It didn't get nasty right away, so I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to slog all the way through it just to satisfy their curiosity.

Just to cite an example, there was one suggestion that we posters in the Retirement Forum probably consider the movie "The Purge" to be a pleasant little fairy tale rather than a dystopian nightmare. I just rebutted that one.

Happy New Year, every one!
It started out as a good thread and I hope it is back on track. The OP brought up some thought provoking scenarios and then others provided a lot to think about, as well. There is no reason to insinuate that folks are evil people b/c they have managed to plan well for retirement nor is there any need for personal attacks . . .

I don't understand what agenda folks have when they take things off track and "scold" others for their beliefs. We all have opinions and our various experiences have brought us to where we are today. There is always the opportunity to see a different side to an issue -- and that is very appreciated. It is good to have different perspectives. We don't all have to agree but calling people ignorant or insinuating that they are irresponsible and greedy is totally inappropriate.

 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757
Unless purposely trolling I find that posts such as those pointed out here are just as, if not more than, informative and educating than are the ones most of us can identify and concur with.
Those may be warm and cozy but teach us little or nothing.
The others keep me very mindful of who else shares this planet with us and how they think.
In this country it also gives us insight into who else is voting and answering surveys and may be influencing political decisions.
Forewarned is forearmed.
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Unless purposely trolling I find that posts such as those pointed out here are just as, if not more than, informative and educating than are the ones most of us can identify and concur with.
Those may be warm and cozy but teach us little or nothing.
The others keep me very mindful of who else shares this planet with us and how they think.
In this country it also gives us insight into who else is voting and answering surveys and may be influencing political decisions.
Forewarned is forearmed.
All good points.
It is very enlightening to see other views. One reason I read the Politics section (and sometimes post there) is exactly for the reasons you mention -- to be exposed to the thought processes of folks who think differently than I do or who have different insights and opinions. It does help understand what the political undercurrent may be.

The older I get, the more I realize that it is easy to assume that the rest of the world (or even our neighbors) have come to the same conclusions I have about issues that affect us all. It is good to be reminded that they may have very different perspectives.
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Reputation: 7276
I'm enjoying a taste treat that I haven't had in over 40 years - Brown Bread - the kind that comes in a can. Certainly can't find it on the grocery store shelves in this area but hey you can find most anything on the internet.

I ordered a case of 12 and will share with my southern friends who've never had it or even heard of it.

My new year got off to a good start yesterday with some cleaning and purging of stuff in the garage that I'll never use and moving some items that belong in the storage/garden building back where they belong. Perhaps I can continue the trend and continue to clear out what I don't really need/use/enjoy and have less stuff to deal with and more time and energy to enjoy the things I do want to do.

Hope this is the best year yet for all my C-D friends.
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Personally, I'd rather see more of the art of persuasion than the insistence on insult. If, for example, someone says they like XYZ and I strongly believe in ABC, it would be interesting to persuade for ABC. The XYZ person now takes offense at ABC and closes out discussion. Of course with persuasive debate the threads would be 3 or more times as long and we could be on CD all day. It's bad enough already!
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm enjoying a taste treat that I haven't had in over 40 years - Brown Bread - the kind that comes in a can. Certainly can't find it on the grocery store shelves in this area but hey you can find most anything on the internet.

I ordered a case of 12 and will share with my southern friends who've never had it or even heard of it.

My new year got off to a good start yesterday with some cleaning and purging of stuff in the garage that I'll never use and moving some items that belong in the storage/garden building back where they belong. Perhaps I can continue the trend and continue to clear out what I don't really need/use/enjoy and have less stuff to deal with and more time and energy to enjoy the things I do want to do.

Hope this is the best year yet for all my C-D friends.
I haven't seen the brown bread in a can in many, many years. Thinking back, I don't think I have seen it since the late 70s. I had forgotten about it.

Did you order from a specialty store or Amazon? I need to research this - would love to have it again (and my son has never had it - gotta share it with him).
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Reputation: 7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I haven't seen the brown bread in a can in many, many years. Thinking back, I don't think I have seen it since the late 70s. I had forgotten about it.

Did you order from a specialty store or Amazon? I need to research this - would love to have it again (and my son has never had it - gotta share it with him).
Ani, I found it on amazon $36.00 for a case of 12 cans, it qualified for free shipping. OH, it tastes as good as I remembered it to have done.
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Ani, I found it on amazon $36.00 for a case of 12 cans, it qualified for free shipping. OH, it tastes as good as I remembered it to have done.
I love Amazon! Thank you so much. I am going to order some. Great to keep on hand - I used to keep it in my pantry - always had something to offer when someone showed up for a cup of coffee or tea. Add a little cream cheese and/or jam -- instant tea party fare.

Can't wait to get mine!
 
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It started out as a good thread and I hope it is back on track. The OP brought up some thought provoking scenarios and then others provided a lot to think about, as well. There is no reason to insinuate that folks are evil people b/c they have managed to plan well for retirement nor is there any need for personal attacks . . .

I don't understand what agenda folks have when they take things off track and "scold" others for their beliefs. We all have opinions and our various experiences have brought us to where we are today. There is always the opportunity to see a different side to an issue -- and that is very appreciated. It is good to have different perspectives. We don't all have to agree but calling people ignorant or insinuating that they are irresponsible and greedy is totally inappropriate.
Yep. You and I have always been on the same page about these things. That thread has been "cleaned up" to some extent, I just noticed this morning. There were two trolls, and except for their posts it's been a good discussion.
 
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Yep. You and I have always been on the same page about these things. That thread has been "cleaned up" to some extent, I just noticed this morning. There were two trolls, and except for their posts it's been a good discussion.
It has been a good discussion! In the end, I think when it comes to helping our friends or family members out (or not!) each situation is so different (plus there may be a past history). There is such a fine line between helping someone get back on their feet and enabling more dysfunctional behavior . . . not always easy to know what is best to do.

One of my friends reminded me recently that in some situations, it really doesn't matter if someone has lived an entire life of misadventure, poor money management, even drug addiction . . . if someone is hungry and cold, you don't lecture, you don't berate . . . you just get them some food, a blanket and hopefully, some shelter from the storm. That won't solve the longterm problems but none of us is going to stand by and see another person suffer when we can alleviate that pain - even if only for a short while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top