U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,041,543 times

Advertisements

I just got a new vacuum, it is too complicated for me. Everything I own, is smarter than me. The TV, the vacuum, the remotes.

That is a sign of old age, when you need kids and grandkids to explain everything to you.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I just got a new vacuum, it is too complicated for me. Everything I own, is smarter than me. The TV, the vacuum, the remotes.

That is a sign of old age, when you need kids and grandkids to explain everything to you.
What we need is an updated edition of this good old classic from 1980:

The Techno/peasant survival manual (A Print project book): Print Project Group: 9780553012644: Amazon.com: Books

Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 PM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I am really hesitant to ask what the hell can be complicated about a vacuum cleaner!
Do I have to mention that my 'new' vac, the one I am absolutely happy with must be a minimum of 20 years old?

Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
I love our chat thread!!!

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a society that doesn't care how (or if) we choose to express our spirituality?

Same for our living arrangements. Yes, gay folks are still waiting for the acknowledgement that all states will recognize their marriages . . . but that doesn't have a thing to do with what I am talking about . . . we can choose to live with whomever we please, married or not. Marriage, as a construct, is a legal matter . . . and for some, a religious matter (a rite, if you will).

But how lucky we are that no one is going to beat down the door and tell us we can't live with the person we choose to live with (whether married, or not) . . . How do people manage to survive in other societies?

I don't care what others do as long as what they choose to do doesn't affect the rest of society and no one is harmed. I guess the phrase would be . . . "consenting adults."

I have found the less I get into other people's business, the happier I am. Unless I see someone being harmed by another person or find out about someone engaging in illegal activity that harms others . . . I am a "live and let live" type.

The Golden Rule really covers it all . . . do unto others, etc.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 PM

3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Rant on/

The sunshine was nice, but ...
I wore thermal underwear, super heavy socks (thank you, DIL) and a pair of mittens over top my gloves to clear off my car. I'm not actually planning on driving anywhere, but the forecast for tomorrow morning is freezing rain. Really?!!

The thermostat is set at 69 degrees and I'm still wearing my thermal underwear. I keep thinking this is nuts. I have a relatively rare hematological disorder that causes the blood in my medium and small arteries to clot when the temperature drops in the low sixties.

Single digits forecast for Tuesday? Really?!!

I don't wanna move, dammit! <Stomping foot and wailing>

Rant off/

ER, don't you dare mention today's temperature in LA ! (Just kidding)

Thank you for allowing me to vent.
Y'all may carry on.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
You are welcome. So many sad stories of people using generators and heat sources that lead to a bad end, you hear them all winter long here. That and chimney fires!

We always wanted an insert but never got around to it.

Safe and warm to all.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:47 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Good morning chatters. It is so cold here ~ -10F not counting the wind chill ~ that I didn't even feel it when I went out to get the paper. I think I was a bear in my former life - I just want to curl up and hibernate.

Hope you are all staying warm.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
It's so danged cold here that the dogs do their business in 3 minutes and want back in. The outdoors is beautiful to look at from inside. Today the fields of snow are glaring with sunlight. We're in for much worse, we're told.

The only thing that is helping me cope is my long underwear (cuddleduds, surprisingly effective for being so lightweight) and the wood stove that heats through to the bones. Last night we had a group over around the stove and no one wanted to leave, we had to push them out the door.

I just read this morning that the cold in parts of the South is going to be worse in the next several days than in Alaska.

Anyone traveling anywhere out of city limits, pack hot water in big thermos, candy bars, sleeping bag, and all emergency gear within the car (not the trunk - inaccessible if you get stuck). Flashers, etc a wise idea too. Check your tailpipe to be sure it's not clogged with ice and snow (to avoid carbon monoxide).

Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I just read this morning that the cold in parts of the South is going to be worse in the next several days than in Alaska

I was just thinking how dependent I am on electricity in my modern, comfortable apartment. I miss my old house and my wood stove. I would have plenty of wood on the porch and a few buckets of water drawn just in case the water froze, and I would be looking forward to the adventure.

We will be fine. Its not going to last long. I am not worried, and I know I am in the right place. Just waxing nostalgic.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
ani- 'And if it harm none, do what ye will.'

LOL Umb, a bear in your former life

LMAO lenora, I'm with you, where's April?

Well, got to get my rig up to the barn and unload the 200 pounds of sand and 120 pounds of icemelt into the barn. Perparing for a rain and sleet event will make my corral a skating rink.

Then DH will look at my left front caliper to make sure it's not falling off. If not, we will take her to the service department to find out what those crazy noises are in the left front.

Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement