U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,859 posts, read 4,365,260 times
Reputation: 7134

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Well, I now must confess that for the first time I had to use the kerosene heaters even with my regular source of heat (heat pump) running yesterday. I'd left the thermostat at 62 (normally turn it down to 55 at night) but when I got up about 8:30 it was only 50 degrees in the house. So I started both kero heaters and got a good fire going with my best oak and still it took 3 hours for the house to warm up to 57 degrees.

Somebody remind me why I traded the lovely Mediterranean climate of the SF bay area for this?

Oh yeah, I promised the dogs a swimmin' hole of their very own.
Well both the pond and the creek are fr-fr-frozen so no swimming for several months yet for them.
Heat pumps should be outlawed in the MidAtlantic states. Over the years, I've had them in several homes and they're not worth ***t when the temperature drops to freezing. Sure, they flip over to "auxillary heat" when the temperature drops too low, but they never quite keep up and the "auxillary heat" simply means the all-electric generated heat results in a mega utility bill. During one especially cold winter month my electric bill was over $1,000. At this point, you might be better off adding a few well placed plug-in oil filled baseboard units to offset the inefficiency of the heat pump.

That said, I have to admit that even I'm afraid to check my gas and electric meters and I have a fairly efficient gas furnace.

 
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,589,100 times
Reputation: 7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ha ha, I was on Amazon the other day, looking at a coffee grinder, they show you pictures of what other bought who bought a coffee grinder, roller papers!
ROFLMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I am tempted to use this one on some troll, but will not do so out of fear of infractions:

"Hey, I have a great idea. Let's play horse. I'll be the front and you just be yourself."
RODLMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Well, I now must confess that for the first time I had to use the kerosene heaters even with my regular source of heat (heat pump) running yesterday. I'd left the thermostat at 62 (normally turn it down to 55 at night) but when I got up about 8:30 it was only 50 degrees in the house. So I started both kero heaters and got a good fire going with my best oak and still it took 3 hours for the house to warm up to 57 degrees.

Somebody remind me why I traded the lovely Mediterranean climate of the SF bay area for this?

Oh yeah, I promised the dogs a swimmin' hole of their very own.
Well both the pond and the creek are fr-fr-frozen so no swimming for several months yet for them.
OMG zug, you moved from the bay area? Must have been a shocking adjustment. Go you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As if the cold isn't bad enough, the ground is covered with sheer thick ice. Hardly a dry spot to place your foot. Several winters ago I bought a pair of those wire traction thingies that you pull on over your boots. They saved me from falling....on the ice. One day I was leaving a doctor's with them on and one of them caught on the rug in front of the outside door and I went flying. Just a word to the wise to not wear those indoors, pull them off.
negirl, as you know I hauled in a crapload of sand and salt. It's the same here, ice everywhere. I am dreading the weekend warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Heat pumps should be outlawed in the MidAtlantic states. Over the years, I've had them in several homes and they're not worth ***t when the temperature drops to freezing. Sure, they flip over to "auxillary heat" when the temperature drops too low, but they never quite keep up and the "auxillary heat" simply means the all-electric generated heat results in a mega utility bill. During one especially cold winter month my electric bill was over $1,000. At this point, you might be better off adding a few well placed plug-in oil filled baseboard units to offset the inefficiency of the heat pump.

That said, I have to admit that even I'm afraid to check my gas and electric meters and I have a fairly efficient gas furnace.
WOW lenora, will make note of that if we have one in FL. a THOUSAND DOLLAR electric bill? Kill me now.


off to let the horses out, have a good day all.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
7,006 posts, read 7,577,859 times
Reputation: 16409
Heat pumps - I know nothing about them but I noticed many homes in Asheville have them. My brother bought a home here in MN with electric heat - my mother raised an idiot. He'd never fess up about what his electric bills were running. So, this has me wondering if Asheville's climate is mild enough that a heat pump plus a backup source is economically feasible. I guess that's a question to ask there.

Zugor - SF Bay = a really big swimming pond

It's warming up - yea, yea, yea. I have to admit - I don't mind short periods of this cold stuff. Great excuse to hibernate.

CCc Girl- Glad to hear you bring your horses into a barn. I hear of people just leaving them outside during these cold spells - it's got to be hard on them, especially eyes & ears. Poor babies.

Bye~~~
 
Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,430 posts, read 5,305,362 times
Reputation: 7296
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
ROFLMAO

OMG zug, you moved from the bay area? Must have been a shocking adjustment. Go you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

Zugor - SF Bay = a really big swimming pond
CCc girl it was not as big a shock as you might imagine since Floyd is a unique little place where farmers, hippies and regular folks all seem to manage to get along well enough. There's a restaurant here called Oddfells'a Cantina and their logo depicts those 3 different types of people. I grew up on Long Island and went to college at SUNY Plattsburgh so it's not as though the bay area climate was all I knew.

Umbria - The Bay is a very nice big swimming pool but it could often take nearly an hour to drive from my home in east Oakland to Pt. Isabel dog park (their favorite). While the pond here is only about 1/3 acre it's about 200 feet from the back door, the creek just a bit further down the hill and with 28 acres for them to roam the property is bigger than Pt. Isabel. So now they have their own private dog park.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,589,100 times
Reputation: 7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Heat pumps - I know nothing about them but I noticed many homes in Asheville have them. My brother bought a home here in MN with electric heat - my mother raised an idiot. He'd never fess up about what his electric bills were running. So, this has me wondering if Asheville's climate is mild enough that a heat pump plus a backup source is economically feasible. I guess that's a question to ask there.

Zugor - SF Bay = a really big swimming pond

It's warming up - yea, yea, yea. I have to admit - I don't mind short periods of this cold stuff. Great excuse to hibernate.

CCc Girl- Glad to hear you bring your horses into a barn. I hear of people just leaving them outside during these cold spells - it's got to be hard on them, especially eyes & ears. Poor babies.

Bye~~~
LOL electric heat in MN, idiot is right!

OMG we spoil our horses. Rain and temps below 45F, inside. 0F and 20 MPH winds? Inside. Cheaper than a vet bill. They were inside Sunday and Monday because of the roaring winds and near zero temps. They weren't very happy about it but when the winds made all kinds of noises in the barn, creaking, whooshing, they were happy to be inside. Extra wood shavings to nestle down in to keep warm. They are happily out today, it's a freakin' heat wave of 20 F and the sun is out. They are smart, though, when they trotted out to the corral and hit the ice they stopped and carefully walked after that. Smart guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
CCc girl it was not as big a shock as you might imagine since Floyd is a unique little place where farmers, hippies and regular folks all seem to manage to get along well enough. There's a restaurant here called Oddfells'a Cantina and their logo depicts those 3 different types of people. I grew up on Long Island and went to college at SUNY Plattsburgh so it's not as though the bay area climate was all I knew.

Umbria - The Bay is a very nice big swimming pool but it could often take nearly an hour to drive from my home in east Oakland to Pt. Isabel dog park (their favorite). While the pond here is only about 1/3 acre it's about 200 feet from the back door, the creek just a bit further down the hill and with 28 acres for them to roam the property is bigger than Pt. Isabel. So now they have their own private dog park.
LOL, zug, LI to Plattsburgh to SF to Floyd! I guess you are familiar with Lake George then. Is the 28 acres all yours?

BTW farmers and hippies are regular folks, at least up here
 
Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
 
8,493 posts, read 12,303,579 times
Reputation: 19524
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay, I gotta ask . . . what is this "work" you speak of?

Day trading?

Gambling?

Drug Trafficking? (just kidding!!!!!)

Please give us a clue!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LMAO Ani!!! Madman, do tell!!!!!!
Are you familiar with the tv show Breaking Bad? (j/k)

Actually, if I were to use a tv or movie analogy, my work would be more akin to Rounders.

And speaking of work, I had another 4 hour session from 10am-2pm today and walked away with a profit of $404. So I guess that means I got a raise today from my previous $80/hr rate.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,202,322 times
Reputation: 32377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I am tempted to use this one on some troll, but will not do so out of fear of infractions:

"Hey, I have a great idea. Let's play horse. I'll be the front and you just be yourself."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My My Mr. Escort Rider - are we in a bad mood? Have a bad day? Not cold enough for you?

P.S. I am not a troll and I'm always in the front.
How strange. I deemed a joke good enough that I chose to share it, and that means I am in a bad mood? Actually the exact opposite is true; if I am in a bad mood, my thoughts do not normally turn to humor.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,589,100 times
Reputation: 7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Are you familiar with the tv show Breaking Bad? (j/k)

Actually, if I were to use a tv or movie analogy, my work would be more akin to Rounders.

And speaking of work, I had another 4 hour session from 10am-2pm today and walked away with a profit of $404. So I guess that means I got a raise today from my previous $80/hr rate.
No, I've never seen either one. WTH are you doing for that cash!

on a lighter note..........

 
Old 01-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,864 posts, read 11,428,903 times
Reputation: 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
No, I've never seen either one. WTH are you doing for that cash!
You may soon receive a DM about the wonderful multilevel marketing program he has found and, after whetting people's appetites, will be willing to share.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,589,100 times
Reputation: 7542
HIW, OMG, not another Ambit thing, BTDT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top