U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
As far as deer go try a product called deer scram. It is available from amazon and has worked for me. We have only seen one rabbit in almost 5 years and we assume the snakes in the creek are controlling that population. Squirrels a plenty and I suspect we have had a racoon that would actually take bird feeders down in the middle of the night and drag them to the woods. Tons of birds and I suspect they are guilty of something. Something was coming on the deck at night and eating the portulaca. Oh well close to nature is awesome.
Oh, aren't the raccoons rascally???? I have them up at the mtn. house, too!

Raccoon story:

We all know how intelligent they are, and those little paws really do function like hands. Well, for years we had a terrible problem with raccoons tearing into the garbage. With pickup only once a week in winter, there were times garbage just had to go out even though it wasn't pickup day. My son was going to college and living in that house and he was really aggravated about having to continually pick up garbage that the raccoons had strung all over the hill.

So he devised a system, using bungie cords and some kind of mountain climbing hooks; drilled holes into the garbage can, and strapped the lid down. No way the raccoons could pry that lid off!!!

That night, he heard the raccoons chattering and fussing. They couldn't get the lid off! The next morning he was shocked to see that instead of taking off the lid, they had chewed a very large hole in one corner of the bottom of the garbage can, and had pulled the inner garbage bag liner out, chewed through it and had once again scattered garbage everywhere.

So he got tabasco, cayenne pepper and jalapenos. Spread the tabasco and cayenne pepper all over the bungie cords, poured cayenne pepper into the garbage bag along with the jalapenos.

That night I get a phone call about midnight, with my son laughing so hard he could hardly talk. He was out on the deck, holding the phone out so I could hear what was going on. He said there were maybe 6 to 8 raccoons out there, just raising hell. I could hear them all chattering and . . . SNEEZING!!!! They were sneezing over and over and the chatter was like a cartoon. My son turned on the porch light and they were slapping their faces, shaking their heads.

They still come around but they make a very very wide birth around the trash cans these days . . . we don't even have to strap down the lids any more.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, aren't the raccoons rascally???? I have them up at the mtn. house, too!

Raccoon story:

So he got tabasco, cayenne pepper and jalapenos. Spread the tabasco and cayenne pepper all over the bungie cords, poured cayenne pepper into the garbage bag along with the jalapenos.

That night I get a phone call about midnight, with my son laughing so hard he could hardly talk. He was out on the deck, holding the phone out so I could hear what was going on. He said there were maybe 6 to 8 raccoons out there, just raising hell. I could hear them all chattering and . . . SNEEZING!!!! They were sneezing over and over and the chatter was like a cartoon. My son turned on the porch light and they were slapping their faces, shaking their heads.

They still come around but they make a very very wide birth around the trash cans these days . . . we don't even have to strap down the lids any more.
Great story

Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Great story
Glad you enjoyed it!

I only wish we had a video of those raccoons sneezing and slapping their faces, lol.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it!

I only wish we had a video of those raccoons sneezing and slapping their faces, lol.
That is one of the great post. TY. And payback for so many of us

Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That is one of the great post. TY. And payback for so many of us
I thought my son was rather brilliant - both with figuring out a way to rig the trashcan -- and with his critter management through use of pepper.

Raccoons are very destructive! Here in Charlotte, they have managed to tear up every single potted plant I had on the back decks. That's a dozen pots. Plus flower boxes. And they have shredded up expensive outdoor furniture cushions - 2 x now. I can't leave our cushions out overnight - too expensive to keep replacing them.

I want to live in harmony with the critters around my house and have worked hard to make sure they have a habitat where they can survive. But at the same time, by making it a good place for them, I have put myself in a situation where my property gets impacted.

My cat was attacked by the red-shouldered hawk that I am so proud of having hang around. . . nearly killed him.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Mathjak,

Out walking in this beautiful time of year, I'm wondering if you have any fall pics to post?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
I'm not a skilled photographer like Mathjak of LauraC, but FWIW here are some shots from northern Virginia taken in the last few weeks:

The last two are part of a group of statues outside a Northrop Grumman office. It's supposed to be a man taking a break from work to play with his dog--but I took this shot the day I filed for retirement because when seen from behind the statue of the man symbolizes my feelings about retirement. He's left behind the briefcase and is reaching out towards blue skies in his future.

Last edited by Caladium; 10-25-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
Some more shots from northern Virginia. The alpaca photo features a newborn. That little baby was less than one day old.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Enjoyed your photos very much, Caladium! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Enjoyed your photos very much, Caladium! Thank you for sharing them with us!
Yes, thanks Caladium. You live in beautiful country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement