U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

negirl!

2nd Blizzard Watch of the season for Cape Cod area in MA. Just issued. 8-12"+ of snow possible

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH COUNTY...CAPE COD...MARTHAS
VINEYARD AND NANTUCKET.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 12 INCHES...WITH
LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...FROM MIDDAY TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS WILL CAUSE DIFFICULT DRIVING
CONDITIONS. PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ALONG WITH GUSTY
WINDS WILL CAUSE VISIBILITIES TO DROP TO ONE QUARTER MILE OR
LESS AT TIMES.

* WINDS...NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...A QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Thanks for the blizzard warning. I'm not near the Cape. I do have a friend on Martha's Vineyard and will check on her. Most of the nor'easters that hit the Cape blow out to sea or melt quickly. Where I am it's going into a deeeeep freeze for at least a week. Like 17 degrees day.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
We've also got a winter storm warning but it calling for about 2 -4 inches of snow, not a blizzard. It's expected to start about 4 am here.

Looks like we won't get temps above the freezing mark until Saturday afternoon so the fireplace will get a good workout and the dogs will be great snuggle partners.

I swung up to the post office and got several DVD's in the mail going back to Netflix so I don't have to run up there tomorrow in time for the once a day collection.

The good news is that I'm about 110 pages in to The Bully Pulpit and it's about 750 pages plus notes so that should give me plenty of entertainment. So far it's a very good read.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM

5,428 posts, read 6,645,614 times
zugor, your retirement life seems so contented.

enjoy the book and maybe a cuppa

Old 01-20-2014, 05:19 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
We're getting another cold zap: -16F tonight w/o the wind chill and Wed night another -15F.

I also have tons to do to stay inside so right now I must run out and get some (drum roll) paint (will I EVER get this done?????????). Next time - a much smaller house. Another stop at the library.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
The "warm" 40 degree days are over. I don't live anywhere near the Cape but I bet we will get a few inches of snow anyway and it's supposed to be the deep freeze again for a while.

Last week my daffodils started to come up. Fools.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Earthquakes, and Blizzards, and Hurricanes ... oh my!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,311,926 times
Today was fabulous! Almost 60 degrees, sun shining, and a southeast wind barely blowing. Out all day, and the wife, and neighbor got their walk in as well.

OK, that's all in the past till probably April. The rest of this week will see temps dropping into the teens, and single digits with highs getting up to freezing if we are lucky. Oh yes, snow as well. But, it's all right since we got groceries today. Plenty to eat during hibernation, and some good movies on the DVR. It helps to remember Ecclesiastes.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

-3 at the barn, -9 on the back porch. Stay warm all.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
zugor, your retirement life seems so contented.

enjoy the book and maybe a cuppa
What a lovely thing to say. I suppose I am reasonably content for the most part. Perhaps with a dash of resignation thrown in about some of the things I would have liked to do but never had the opportunity - such as travel to Europe. I can recall being 16 as a girlfriend and I tried to imagine what our lives might hold in store. As you can guess the roads traveled were quite different than what we imagined.

In my early 50's as I looked forward to life after retirement at 55 I began dreaming/researching the possibility of opening a camp ground in the Sierra's near Mariposa that would cater to folks with well behaved dogs since my dogs and I loved to go camping and had had several unpleasant encounters with non-dog people while camping and I hated the tight restrictions everywhere. With a decent pension I only needed the place to pay for itself and much of the profit would get donated to the local spca.

Research showed that county regulations were going to make it nearly impossible to do what I wanted and I made the decision to move "back East". It was here that I got seriously involved with dog rescue and found it to be far more rewarding than a simple, fun campground. The dream evolved in to something better.

Two hungry dogs are patiently waiting for breakfast so I'd best go get them fed.

Snow started later than predicted and we only now have enough snow to change the black asphalt driveway to white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement