U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Winds aren't too bad and the sun is nice and strong so I did not have to keep the horses inside today, we are thankful.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM

3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
No sun here. Just snow...snow...snow and wind. I've gone out several times to clear the car in hopes that the final clearing won't be burdensome. My unknown snow fairy cleared my sidewalk earlier today, so I didn't have as much to clear this afternoon. Of course, the winds will blow a lot of the shoveled snow back onto the cleared areas, but hopefully not all of it.

While shivering outside, I had a flashback of walking to school in the bitter, cutting cold. I recall wearing thin cotton hand-me-down pants and an equally pathetic winter coat. I don't remember having a hat (although if I had one, I likely would have lost it. Ditto: gloves). I'm bummed out thinking of kids who are in a similar position today. Play outside? Yeah, right. The one thing I swore when I had children was that they would have any clothing they wanted (excluding anything I considered slutty. ) I even handed over my credit card to my daughter when she went shopping with friends. I don't know why, but she never abused the privilege.

I also thought about the young homeless woman who hangs around my neighborhood and wondered if she'll be sleeping under the hospital bridge tonight. Around Christmas time, I had the opportunity to speak with a local merchant who knows her and her circumstances. I briefly considered offering to let her live with me, but she is allegedly so mentally unstable (occasional manic rages requiring hospitalization) I found myself reluctant to do so. Perhaps when the roads are clear I'll try to find her and give the idea further consideration after I've had the opportunity to personally assess her potential to "act out".

Obviously I'm already sick of the weather even though we still have several bone chilling days ahead. I'll try to be more cheerful from this point forward.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
No sun here. Just snow...snow...snow and wind. I've gone out several times to clear the car in hopes that the final clearing won't be burdensome. My unknown snow fairy cleared my sidewalk earlier today, so I didn't have as much to clear this afternoon. Of course, the winds will blow a lot of the shoveled snow back onto the cleared areas, but hopefully not all of it.

While shivering outside, I had a flashback of walking to school in the bitter, cutting cold. I recall wearing thin cotton hand-me-down pants and an equally pathetic winter coat. I don't remember having a hat (although if I had one, I likely would have lost it. Ditto: gloves). I'm bummed out thinking of kids who are in a similar position today. Play outside? Yeah, right. The one thing I swore when I had children was that they would have any clothing they wanted (excluding anything I considered slutty. ) I even handed over my credit card to my daughter when she went shopping with friends. I don't know why, but she never abused the privilege.

I also thought about the young homeless woman who hangs around my neighborhood and wondered if she'll be sleeping under the hospital bridge tonight. Around Christmas time, I had the opportunity to speak with a local merchant who knows her and her circumstances. I briefly considered offering to let her live with me, but she is allegedly so mentally unstable (occasional manic rages requiring hospitalization) I found myself reluctant to do so. Perhaps when the roads are clear I'll try to find her and give the idea further consideration after I've had the opportunity to personally assess her potential to "act out".

Obviously I'm already sick of the weather even though we still have several bone chilling days ahead. I'll try to be more cheerful from this point forward.
I'd be really careful with this woman - you possibly could help her in some other way. Do you have locks on your bedroom doors???????

This is the point of winter when it starts to wear on people. Early March I'm driving down to Southport, NC to look around. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

OK - the news guy just said "Another Arctic blast is on the way~~~~" What? Last night was -16F ~~~~~I think the artic blast is here.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
I have had people mention that there is a way to upload photos directly to this website from our computers, but have never figured it out. I would share with you some of my photos from today if I could! More snow - so beautiful! Temp low anticipated to be around 2-4F tonight.

Hubby had an another echocardiogram today and waiting on results. Depending on those results, next another cath. That will determine whether or not he can move forward with surgery (weighing out what type of surgery) Hubby is hopeful so I am being hopeful for him but I don't feel so confident about the prospects. Of course, I am not cardiologist!

Maybe I will figure this photo uploading stuff out . . . any help would be appreciated, as I don't see a way to do it on our dashboard. I guess I could set up a Flickr account for use on CD.

Hope everyone is safe and warm and content this evening!

Last edited by brokensky; 01-21-2014 at 06:52 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have had people mention that there is a way to upload photos directly to this website from our computers, but have never figured it out. I would share with you some of my photos from today if I could! More snow - so beautiful! Temp low anticipated to be around 2-4F tonight.

Hubby had an another echocardiogram today and waiting on results. Depending on those results, next another cath. That will determine whether or not he can move forward with surgery (weighing out what type of surgery) Hubby is hopeful so I am being hopeful for him but I don't feel so confident about the prospects. Of course, I am not cardiologist!

Maybe I will figure this photo uploading stuff out . . . any help would be appreciated, as I don't see a way to do it on our dashboard. I guess I could set up a Flickr account for use on CD.

Hope everyone is safe and warm and content this evening!
Photos--Someone mentioned a CD way to do it but the way I know of is to sign up for a free account at Photobucket. Then you simply browse and click on your pictures to upload them to Photobucket. Then, in Photobucket, I think you copy the image that says [img] and paste it into your post. I resize the pictures to about 400. There are other photo hosts besides Photobucket, but that's the one I'm most familiar with.

CD provides free space for uploading your photos so you can show them here but I am not sure how it works, maybe someone else here does.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Here's a link that describes adding the pics:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...tml#post814124

Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Photos--Someone mentioned a CD way to do it but the way I know of is to sign up for a free account at Photobucket. Then you simply browse and click on your pictures to upload them to Photobucket. Then, in Photobucket, I think you copy the image that says [img] and paste it into your post. I resize the pictures to about 400. There are other photo hosts besides Photobucket, but that's the one I'm most familiar with.

CD provides free space for uploading your photos so you can show them here but I am not sure how it works, maybe someone else here does.
Yes, Photobucket or Flickr will work, I believe. I have used a service like that in the past when I used to upload photos to C-D.

I just hate to have to go through all that but maybe I will open another account.

Thank you, in_newengland!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Here's a link that describes adding the pics:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...tml#post814124
Thank you, Umbria!

That is a good explanation of how to upload from one's hard drive. The problem with that method is - I don't want anything linked through embedded data back to my hard drive and I have been told that is what happens.

I guess I should just open a Photobucket account.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:12 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
yes, photobucket or flickr will work, i believe. I have used a service like that in the past when i used to upload photos to c-d.

I just hate to have to go through all that but maybe i will open another account.

Thank you, in_newengland!
Chat Thread-toco-toucan.jpg

The second method from Umbria's link using c-d is really simple.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
-19F on the back porch. Stay warm, all.

Ymbria, your concern for that woman is admirable but it would be a dangerous and full time commitment. Without the proper training you would be at risk. My SD supervised a group home for mentally disabled adilts and part of her required training was self defense. Here we have shelters called code blue centers that open when the temps drop below 10F, I'm sure she knows where they are.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement