U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ LMFAO I should pin that to my mirror.

Umbs, I just saw on the news they have frostbite centers in the hospitals up there? Blackened limbs? Amputations in the hundreds this year?
In some of the big cities they are using heated parked buses as warming centers for homeless individuals. It's brutal out there for humans and animals.

Our town actually did something useful this week the college students and food bank volunteers went door to door and left identified grocery bags for residents to fill and leave on our doorsteps after 8 a.m. I was afraid what I put out there would freeze so I waited till the collection hour at 10 a.m. This is a fairly big town so tons of food were collected. I wish there were a way to identify folks who may live alone and may not have much heat of food, but few New Englanders want so to admit that and accept help. At least the older ones don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
National Weather Service in Blacksburg says the overnight low will be around zero with a wind chill of -17. Of course I won't be out in it at it's coldest unless one of the dogs decides they absolutely have to go out at 3 or 4 in the morning which does happen occasionally.

I can't just open the back door and let them out for a quick pee break. The 13 year old black lab needs coaxing to go down the steps to the back yard when there is snow or ice so I have to accompany him down at least 3 of the steps before he leaps down the rest of the way. I wish I could teach him that to go slowly and carefully would be much safer but that does seem to be one trick the sweet old dog just can't figure out.

Guess I should be happy that he is able to realize he needs to go and makes it all the way outside before doing so.
I bought the little squirt - Jack Russell - a coat and booties at Petco. I've never done this before for any of my dogs. He would not go out and had to be carried and put down to pee. Before halfway through the first walk with his new outfit, he'd kicked off the booties and wriggled out of his coat. I guess he's too much of a he-man to admit being cold, lol. I brought them back for a refund.

The other dog, a tora inu, has a double coat (brindle) and she adores the cold, the colder the better (she hates heat).

I feel really sorry for the old old dogs that can barely walk going out into this unbelievable cold stretch.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM

9,664 posts, read 11,118,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm doing okay in my 600 fill down parka that is longer length--similar in looks to the one in the picture. Thank goodness for the hood and the zipper that goes right up to your chin. If I ever get another one and if we are going to continue in the minus temps in years to come, I would get 650 fill or more.
Quote:
But I've been too lazy to pull it out so I wear a fleece lined hoodie and flannel lined jeans under the light duty one. It's so convenient with these trips to the barn, it's like when you were a kid and jumped into your snowsuit, threw on the boots, hat and gloves and off you went.
Down is a wonderful insulator; travelers to Antartica, the Himalaya (properly singular), and other areas of extreme cold regularly keep themselves alive with down. Just keep in mind that if the down becomes wet it becomes useless mush. This can be a real problem in the event of a fall through ice into water or carrying the clothes on person or vehicle when transporting water in the same gear.

Wet cotton is a killer. Researchers have determined that the loss of body heat through wet cotton than from wet bare skin.

The cold weather gear that I keep in my car or ever wear when I may sweat is either wool , silk, or an appropriate synthetic. Keep the L.L. Bean chamois cloth shirt and flannel-lined chinos for activities in and around your home or when you have an alternative if you are in your vehicle.

The amount of insulation necessary is determined by activity level as well. There was at leat one incident recorded of a man who suffered heat exhaustion at -50 because of too heavy clothing with intense physical activity.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 PM

20,316 posts, read 19,292,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Down is a wonderful insulator; travelers to Antartica, the Himalaya (properly singular), and other areas of extreme cold regularly keep themselves alive with down. Just keep in mind that if the down becomes wet it becomes useless mush. This can be a real problem in the event of a fall through ice into water or carrying the clothes on person or vehicle when transporting water in the same gear.

Wet cotton is a killer. Researchers have determined that the loss of body heat through wet cotton than from wet bare skin.

The cold weather gear that I keep in my car or ever wear when I may sweat is either wool , silk, or an appropriate synthetic. Keep the L.L. Bean chamois cloth shirt and flannel-lined chinos for activities in and around your home or when you have an alternative if you are in your vehicle.

The amount of insulation necessary is determined by activity level as well. There was at leat one incident recorded of a man who suffered heat exhaustion at -50 because of too heavy clothing with intense physical activity.
Reading this while wearing my down filled robe. I don't plan on going anywhere near water wearing this thing. It's a great insulator when dry. In this weather even if I went outside and walked near the frozen marshland it wouldn't get wet as it is a truly frozen world out there. I keep wool in the car but in this weather I'm not going far anyway.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Quote:
^^^ LMFAO I should pin that to my mirror.

Umbs, I just saw on the news they have frostbite centers in the hospitals up there? Blackened limbs? Amputations in the hundreds this year?
I have heard of 1 young woman that got drunked up and passed out outside when it was -xxF outside - she had fingers/toes amputated. They say all it takes is 4-5 min in these -F temps to get frostbite on bare skin. Awful stuff. I think about that when I go out to get the dogs (sometimes they are too dumb to come to the door). If I slipped and hit my head it would be adios.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Down is a wonderful insulator; travelers to Antartica, the Himalaya (properly singular), and other areas of extreme cold regularly keep themselves alive with down.
We are surrounded by down in this house. Two down comforters, each in a flannel duvet on the bed, a flannel comforter with duvet on the couch, quilted down long and short coats, down fur-lined hats, down sleeping bag in the car with other gear. It is so lightweight and so warm, even with the woodstove firing down at night and no furnace on. I will be taking all my fluffy down to the nursing home. When I go out I look like Frances McDormand in "Fargo." If I fall, I won't feel a thing.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
National Weather Service in Blacksburg says the overnight low will be around zero with a wind chill of -17. Of course I won't be out in it at it's coldest unless one of the dogs decides they absolutely have to go out at 3 or 4 in the morning which does happen occasionally.

I can't just open the back door and let them out for a quick pee break. The 13 year old black lab needs coaxing to go down the steps to the back yard when there is snow or ice so I have to accompany him down at least 3 of the steps before he leaps down the rest of the way. I wish I could teach him that to go slowly and carefully would be much safer but that does seem to be one trick the sweet old dog just can't figure out.

Guess I should be happy that he is able to realize he needs to go and makes it all the way outside before doing so.

Of course this was one of those nights and the local Wunderground station says it is -1.6 with a wind chill of -17. I've got the kitchen faucet on a slow drip to keep it from freezing up like it did a couple of weeks ago and a great fire still going. Come Sundays warm up to just above freezing I will need to haul a couple more cart fulls of firewood from the main stash in the back yard around to the front porch.

Just eight more weeks until spring is technically here. WE HOPE

Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 AM

22,606 posts, read 12,480,998 times
Quote:
But can a fifteen year old girl walk down that street in perfect safety at 2 A.M.? Please don't say that's not possible anywhere. It's virtually guaranteed where I live.
In this neighborhood, yes. They do it all the time because the colleges are so close by. (there are bike patrols and all sorts of security people and police about.) In other neighborhoods - bad neighborhoods - no. Even a strong and fit 30 year old man should avoid walking around those places were drug transactions and other illegal things are going on at night. I have a favorite Vietnamese restaurant in a neighborhood in North Philly called Kensington that I like to visit once in a while, but I tend to have lunch there or a very early supper ... later at night that area makes me very nervous. I roll up my car windows. It's like two other cities I lived in: New York and Miami. You stay away from the ghettos.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:22 AM

22,606 posts, read 12,480,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's called survival.
The philosophy of my life is not to merely survive ... but to live, live, live!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The philosophy of my life is not to merely survive ... but to live, live, live!
I would say that that's nearly everyone's philosophy. (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement