U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 12:50 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,201,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Kerosene lamps produce heat as well and work well to heat water. It's slow but can produce sufficient quantities of hot water. BTW, you do have some kerosene lamps, don't you? Think about kerosene heaters and a kerosene stove as well for a grid-down emergency. The great thing about kerosene is that it's safe to store in your house very different from gasoline.
During a 5-day winter power outage in 1979, I feel asleep reading beside a kerosene lantern, was overcome by fumes, ended up semi-conscious in the ER with extreme vertigo and nausea and inhaled vomit, transferred to ICU, had to undergo a battery of neurological and nephrological and pulmonary function tests. All came out ok enough, no lasting damage, but docs told me kerosene inhalation damage can be cumulative so told me to avoid it here on out.

We have natural gas logs in the fireplace, a gas cooktop & water heater, a plethora of battery lamps and chargers so we're good for a few days without power.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
With the temps above freezing I decided that it was time to haul a couple more garden carts of wood from the big stash in the back yard to the front porch racks. Wasn't long before I had my jacket unzipped as I warmed up with the work and needed a break so here I am.

This morning I culled a bunch of dishes and glassware from the kitchen to donate to the local thrift store. Hooray for less stuff in the cupboards that I don't like and only use because it was on the top of the stack. Now I'll have to eat off the plates and bowls that I like.

Late yesterday I finally managed to fix the lazy susan in the corner cabinet and got all the canned goods back on the shelves in an organized manner. Must make a real effort to eat down the inventory - save a few bucks by using up what's already bought and paid for.

Stay safe and comfy during the next big chill that many of us are about to encounter.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:42 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
I also took this last cold spell (20-30's in Texas) and did some major cleaning and rearranging.
Pile of books for the library, bag of clothes for goodwill, some extra kitchen gadgets, etc. to give to my son.
The pantry got organized with the oldest cans brought up to the front.

Any more cold spells and I'll be painting the walls next

Old 01-26-2014, 02:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Any more cold spells and I'll be painting the walls next
If you provide us with pictures and you do a really great job I just might let you come and paint my place and I won't even charge you too much for the privilege.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
LOL, isn't huddling inside the cave fun? I, too, cleaned off the buffet, vacuumed and cleaned off the dining table which had become a depository for newspapers.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Arctic blast...

Minus 34 degrees in Minneapolis tonight, plus blizzard.
Minus 50 degrees to minus 35 degrees windchill factor in upper Midwest.
Snow in New Orleans.
Snow 48" and freezing rain in NC and SC.

Florida, anyone?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
During a blustery cold night the other night this is what went on at Stately Clark Manor: Chef Joe, who is half Italian, made a complicated pasta dish that included white beans, a tomato based sauce, turkey sausage and other things. Then the next day Handyman Rod, who is also half Italian, made a huge caldron of homemake chicken noodle soup with escarole and farfalle noodles.

What is Officer Clark supposed to do for an encore? Make matzoh ball soup and latkes and kreplach? I never asked my mother for her recipes.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:10 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
What is Officer Clark supposed to do for an encore? Make matzoh ball soup and latkes and kreplach? I never asked my mother for her recipes.
How about having a Jewish Deli night with cheesecake for dessert? Yummm...

Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Arctic blast...

Minus 34 degrees in Minneapolis tonight, plus blizzard.
Minus 50 degrees to minus 35 degrees windchill factor in upper Midwest.
Snow in New Orleans.
Snow 48" and freezing rain in NC and SC.

Florida, anyone?
Enough already!!! I can't take this anymore <shakes fist> They have closed schools for the 3rd time in the last month due to "cold". This has never happened in my lifetime.

What happened to global warming??????????????????

Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a ...........................

SCREECH!!! Wrong song! LOL

It's winter here in Minnesota...
And the gentle breezes blow,
Seventy miles an hour,
At twenty five below.
Oh, how I love ole Minnesota
When the snow's up to your butt.
You take a breath of winter
And your nose freezes shut.
Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave dear Minnesota
Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

thank you, thank you very much~~~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement