U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM

7,345 posts, read 16,790,757 times

Advertisements

We have it here as well, but also have the young "conservative" drivers here that drive like they are 90 yrs old.......very slow and cautious! Wife and I don't drive like NASCAR drivers do, but we do know how to push the accelerator DOWN!
My wife rode with her 80 yr old mother once to her sister's house. Her mom got into the carpool lane and was going so slow, she had numerous cars backed up behind them. Did her mom care......nope! Didn't pay any attention to horns honking and/or headlights blinking off and on by the car behind her.
Wife told me "that's the last time I will ride with mom!"
Speeders, tailgaters, "in and out of traffic" people are dangerous, but so are a lot of Seniors as well as those "conservative" drivers.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM

21,626 posts, read 44,615,154 times
Out of consideration for the safety of others, when one can't see, feels fear behind the wheel, can't keep the speed limit, it is time to stop driving.

We barely avoided a multi-car collision a few months back when a little old lady, totally oblivious to anything, pulled onto a three-lane road with oncoming traffic. Truck next to us swerved into our lane to avoid her, we saw this coming and swerved onto the median strip to avoid being sideswiped by the truck, people behind us slamming on brakes, and little old lady went merrily on.

This is selfish, not to mention criminal. These people should not drive.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM

28,420 posts, read 40,310,818 times
Around here is anyone with a cell phone. It's tough to stay in your own lane and drive a consistent speed when you're dialing or texting.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM

16,153 posts, read 20,992,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Today, I went into town and, naturally, got behind some old gray-head doing 20 mph in a 40 zone for block after block after block. Traffic was backed up behind him about 10 deep. Later, it was another one going 12 mph in a 35 zone and perpetually hitting his brakes. Finally, he just stopped in the middle of the street and decided to make an un-signaled left turn. After I got clear of him, I found another one, this time a woman, traveling happily along on the 2-lane state highway at the blistering speed of 38 mph, with appropriate slow-downs for the numerous curves.

That's the norm around here as we have a large senior population. It's so bad that I do my business at a small, rural post office in the next state rather than get into that crowd of old folks who clog the streets around the in-town PO. It takes some of them 10 minutes to back out of a parking space (back up and stop, back up and stop) and I got behind a little old lady the other day going up the street at 8 mph....8 MPH! I can walk faster than that! The area around the hospital and doctor's offices are even worse! And the freeway? Forget about it, unless you just WANT to merge into 70 mph traffic at 45!

Let me be clear. I AM an old folk myself (age: 62), but for the love of God, if you're too scared or too blind to maintain AT LEAST the posted speed limit, please stay home.

Surely, there aren't any CDer's among that crowd of street-cloggers, is there?
Stay home and starve? Perhaps die without medication? Our communities are no longer designed for people to live without a car. Something you may need to think about in 10-15 years

Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM

56,117 posts, read 75,247,670 times
i hear you i find a silver head sticking barely about the steering wheel on slow lane of the freeway doing 35 mph. when i go by i see the look of sheer terror on their face. i always call 911.
time to stop driving.
on the other hand, im 63, and i used to get angry honkers in the middle lane bek i was going too slow (doing 88 mph)

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-03-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 02:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
I started a new thread in the Retirement forum not too long ago about very elderly folks driving. Seems like it offended a lot of CD posters who think that people should be allowed to drive forever and not have mandatory road testing. I was kind of surprised at the majority of responses like this.

Here get a lot of black ice on some roads esp over mountain/hill roads where the sun doesn't hit in winter. In these cases I go as slow as molasses and don't care a fig about anyone behind me who doesn't like it. If I feel that I need to go slow on a highway I stay permanently in the righthand lane behind a slow truck. But if driving conditions are good and I get stuck behind anyone of any age going 20 mph and I'm in a rush, I go bonkers (no road rage, just impatient). So I see it from both sides. Very old people, imo, should not be allowed on the road. Just how that gets determined, I don't know. An elderly person may pass a road or eye test just fine, and then lose control of the car or cause an accident due to excessively slow speed.

But then again, texters and cell phone users can do the same. Personally, although I know some day I will have to leave the planet for good, I don't want it to be from a car accident. I wish like heck I could go completely carless, even now (for several reasons).

Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,654,721 times
We don't need old people to make completely stupid traffic moves here (although we have plenty of old people). Plenty of middle aged idiots flying around with their heads elsewhere... probably sitting on them.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,686,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I do stop at the red light before proceeding when turning right on red.
You should, it's the law.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:33 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,050,017 times
[quote=Charles22;21562535]You should, it's the law.[/quote}

Yes I know it's the law but more important it's just common sense to stop.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:46 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
If it wasn't for old people you would be buying Russian war bonds get a life .We all have one thing in common we all get old.One day that will be you going 20 in a 40 zone.
Oh no, it won't be me, I can assure you! If I ever get to that point I will stop driving. I am 67 and I drive exactly the same as, and as skillfully as I did when I was in my 20's and 30's. I've had race track training on the motorcycle, although I don't ride anymore. But my awareness behind the wheel of a car is undiminished. In fact, that is a sine qua non of my existence; if that ever changes, I will know my life is over.

I agree fully with the OP. Those drivers who are holding everybody up are not only a huge irritation, they are a danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement