U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ She beat me to it. Causes easy bruising, esp. in shildren.
When someone posts something like this, stating it as if it is fact, the immediate question that arises in my mind is...what about all those people that use canola and do not bruise easily nor do they have children who do not bruise easily?

 
Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
You use information as you see fit. Be selective. Don't be a sheep. If it works for you then great. It doesn't work for me. I was asked, I answered.
 
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757
I am selective. One thing I try to be selective about is what I post when I post it as a fact .
But, as you say, if it works for you not to do that............
 
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
I was asked an opinion. I posted it. What oil do I use, okay I gave the 'why' I use them maybe that's TMI.
 
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
The reason I wondered about anything other than coconut and olive oil is because of the higher temperature thing . . . Thanks for everyone's input! It is just so hard to know what to do these days.

Well, it started snowing (flurries) very lightly about 2 hours ago - and then just stopped. There was enough to barely cover the ground. This storm has been rather unpredictable -- at least, with much accuracy, b/c the front keeps shifting around . . . and with it coming up from the Gulf instead of the typical NE nor'easter . . . it is going to be interesting to watch!

I am making marinara - adding ground beef - for spaghetti this evening.
 
Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 AM
 
Location: East Coast
2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay, here is one of my favorite salads - Clark's Pear and Walnut Gorgonzola Salad:
That sounds delicious! Thanks for posting.
 
Old 01-28-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Reputation: 7276
Clark that does sound like a great salad.

We're getting a bit more snow than was originally anticipated, up to about an inch now. The schools were let out early since many of our back roads are dirt and it's a difficult for the buses to navigate those in snow. I don't think the kids mind.

I've got a crock pot of basic beef stew in the works but it won't be ready for a couple of hours yet and I'm hungry for some now.

I'm glad I hauled in lots of firewood the other day, it's helping to keep the living room extra toasty. The old dogs went back to bed shortly after breakfast and I'm half tempted to join them for a nap. That would pass the time until the stew is ready but then I'll be less likely to get to bed for the night at a reasonable hour so I'll pass and grab my kindle instead and do a bit of reading.
 
Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The reason I wondered about anything other than coconut and olive oil is because of the higher temperature thing . . . Thanks for everyone's input! It is just so hard to know what to do these days.
I use cold-pressed organic safflower "for medium heat" or "high heat" - says it on the label.

From what I've read (extensively), olive oil and coconut oil, in fact most other oils, should not be used on high heat. If I'm making an omelet I put a little real butter (never margarine or crisco!) in the pan first.

As for canola oil, there's hundreds of reputable articles that explain why to avoid it if you decide to. Here's just one:Not-So-Safe Foods You Should Avoid | Dr. Joseph Mercola
 
Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The reason I wondered about anything other than coconut and olive oil is because of the higher temperature thing . . . Thanks for everyone's input! It is just so hard to know what to do these days.

Well, it started snowing (flurries) very lightly about 2 hours ago - and then just stopped. There was enough to barely cover the ground. This storm has been rather unpredictable -- at least, with much accuracy, b/c the front keeps shifting around . . . and with it coming up from the Gulf instead of the typical NE nor'easter . . . it is going to be interesting to watch!

I am making marinara - adding ground beef - for spaghetti this evening.
OMG. At first I thought you said you were making marijuana.
Where is my mind. I just used Ragu last night but added ground beef. Tonight I'm going to turn the leftover pasta into spaghetti Bolognaise.

Today I'm trapped inside due to the weather again but I am watching the weather channel so that I can laugh at the weather in the South. They are getting snow.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OMG. At first I thought you said you were making marijuana.
Where is my mind. I just used Ragu last night but added ground beef. Tonight I'm going to turn the leftover pasta into spaghetti Bolognaise.

Today I'm trapped inside due to the weather again but I am watching the weather channel so that I can laugh at the weather in the South. They are getting snow.
Oh, if only I lived in a state where I could make medical marijuana . . . I bet that has a nice revenue stream with it.

And I have a green thumb!

YES! Charlotte is getting a little snow right now! We are all wondering if the system will stall or keep moving. No one is expecting more than an inch or so in that area of the state - but it is fun to watch! It is unusual for us to see a snowstorm coming up from the Gulf - we are used to Nor'easters coming down the coast from the NE.

Here in the mountains, we have only gotten about an inch - if that. Only flurries all day! So odd!

My sauce smells really nice! It just hit me - I did not check to make sure I had pasta in the house, lol. Wouldn't that be ironic -- all this sauce and no spaghetti, lololol!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top