U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 02:47 PM

20,809 posts, read 20,795,594 times

Advertisements

Being from the northeast, the Carolina, Georgia, etc, are "The South" to me and my head has a very hard time wrapping around the idea of snow in "The South".
Magnolias and moss draped trees and Scarlett O'Hara type hand fans....but not snow!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:12 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,577,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Being from the northeast, the Carolina, Georgia, etc, are "The South" to me and my head has a very hard time wrapping around the idea of snow in "The South".
Magnolias and moss draped trees and Scarlett O'Hara type hand fans....but not snow!
This year is just unbelievable. I think it's bad herte but we are use to "weather". I feel for those in the south that aren't. And, OMG, they are now naming winter storms - this one is Leon

Why The Weather Channel is Naming Winter Storms - weather.com

I'd love to be down at Southport, NC right now.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,408,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This year is just unbelievable. I think it's bad herte but we are use to "weather". I feel for those in the south that aren't. And, OMG, they are now naming winter storms - this one is Leon

Why The Weather Channel is Naming Winter Storms - weather.com

I'd love to be down at Southport, NC right now.
35 degrees in Southport is still pretty cold, you can't throw away your down coat and comforters before heading there.

This week we have very little snow on the ground and no ice on the roads. What we have is bone chilling cold, and it doesn't want to let up anytime soon. We broke down and put on the furnace in the middle of the night. By morning the stove had the house almost too hot. Needless to say I'm stationed by the stove and refuse to move.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
35 degrees in Southport is still pretty cold, you can't throw away your down coat and comforters before heading there.

This week we have very little snow on the ground and no ice on the roads. What we have is bone chilling cold, and it doesn't want to let up anytime soon. We broke down and put on the furnace in the middle of the night. By morning the stove had the house almost too hot. Needless to say I'm stationed by the stove and refuse to move.
Yes, I know that it's unusually cold in Southport right now. What I like about Southport is that it does get cooler in the winter, although not usually this cold. I'm keeping the cold weather gear - you never know when I could decide to rent a spot in them thar hills.

Variety is the spice of life

Old 01-28-2014, 03:36 PM

How about those down South tell what their hi temp was today ~ no gloating.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,589,100 times
It was 23F in Tallahassee this morning and they have had three inches of snow.

I made marijuana, er, marinara today, too!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM

My dog killed a rabbit today - she didn't bite it or maul it but she chased it until it just dropped dead. Bad dog - she's only slightly bigger than the bunny. She's part Brittany and has strong hunter traits - poor bunny. This winter has been tough enough without the beast chasing her/him down. She was so proud of herself when she brought it to the back door - and - she's still walking around wagging her tail. I may have a serial killer on my hands.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My dog killed a rabbit today - she didn't bite it or maul it but she chased it until it just dropped dead. Bad dog - she's only slightly bigger than the bunny. She's part Brittany and has strong hunter traits - poor bunny. This winter has been tough enough without the beast chasing her/him down. She was so proud of herself when she brought it to the back door - and - she's still walking around wagging her tail. I may have a serial killer on my hands.
So are you making rabbit stew? It's not everyday a dog brings home dinner.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,589,100 times
Aww, Umb, I know that tug of war feeling, yes, it's natural to hunt, no the rabbit didn't need to die.

A few weeks ago I walked by a mouse on the floor five times before I realized it was real and not a cat toy.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM

21,075 posts, read 20,009,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Aww, Umb, I know that tug of war feeling, yes, it's natural to hunt, no the rabbit didn't need to die.

A few weeks ago I walked by a mouse on the floor five times before I realized it was real and not a cat toy.
Oh, you almost made me spit out my coffee. Did you hear that on tv or did you think of that yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement