U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times

Advertisements

State of the Union address this eve 9:00 EST. Nothing on TV tonight, think I'll retire at 8:00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM

20,120 posts, read 20,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I know, he didn't either until our leader in CT posted the map for the southeast, he got so excited he drove to see it! No pics, though.

LOL my Dad drove from PA to VA and is laying up there to avoid the snow in the Carolinas. He's in a 2WD Highlander. Yep, saved that three grand not getting AWD. They're talking Outback now.......
What's CT leader?
For what I'm used to, that means Connecticut
I'm betting whoever 'he' is, he didn't drive all the way from Connecticut to look at some snow

Umbria, be thankful you didn't find your dog that has the luxury of a doggie door eating a rabbit next to your bed at 3:00 in the morning.
BTDT and it ain't pretty

Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

Umbria, be thankful you didn't find your dog that has the luxury of a doggie door eating a rabbit next to your bed at 3:00 in the morning.
BTDT and it ain't pretty
EWWWWW!

OK - now you can all think I am one of those people that go ga-ga over a long winter. I'm going out to buy some bunny food - yes~~I~~am. That little bunny was really skinny. I thought of boxing him up and sending him to NEG but there wasn't enough meat to make anything.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,615,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What's CT leader?
For what I'm used to, that means Connecticut
I'm betting whoever 'he' is, he didn't drive all the way from Connecticut to look at some snow

BTDT and it ain't pretty
The semi-feral cat that hangs out at our house brought me a bunny one day. The bunny was bigger than the cat. I didn't know what to do, because obviously, the cat was proud and it is a bonding thing when a cat brings you a "present" and lays it at your feet.

Or well . . . til just now, that is what I thought.

Maybe he was actually asking me to make him some Lapin a la Cocotte.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,615,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
EWWWWW!

OK - now you can all think I am one of those people that go ga-ga over a long winter. I'm going out to buy some bunny food - yes~~I~~am. That little bunny was really skinny. I thought of boxing him up and sending him to NEG but there wasn't enough meat to make anything.
I have a good recipe . . . French, even.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
I just told the killer if she did that again I was sending her to Robyn's house.

Ani - French rabbit stew???? I watched an episode of the Sopranos where the chef killed a rabbit and served it up in his restaurant -it actual looked pretty good. I bet it tasted like chicken - everything tastes like chicken.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:
I thought of boxing him up and sending him to NEG but there wasn't enough meat to make anything.
Broth?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM

20,120 posts, read 20,237,163 times
Well, actually, rabbit tastes rather like squirrel.LOL
With some of those skinny rabbits and so little meat on a squirrel, I used to use them together in a stew

Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,353,017 times
Quote:
everything tastes like chicken.
Except eggs.

Sorry. Old joke.

(And domesticated rabbit is much greasier than chicken - but really good straight off the BBQ!)

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM

20,316 posts, read 19,292,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's a certain kind of craziness that goes on in climates with prolonged intense cold. Retirees not going out every day as they once had into the workplace can slip into a state of madness for which there is no real diagnosis other than winter. I have just spent an entire two hours searching for real estate near my sister in SoCal. This is not something a true NewEnglander should admit, but there it is. I just emailed her asking details about several places I found. That's all she needs; I'll never hear the end of it.
You're right. But we're supposed to be drooling over seed catalogs, making stews and roasts, chopping away at ice, knitting, reading books, making quilts, checking on the veggies stored in the root cellar, all that good old winter stuff that just has gotten so boring and most of it I don't want to do anyway. Also, keeping the bird feeder filled even if we have to tromp out to it on snowshoes. Then there is the darning of socks and the mending of clothing.

I got sick of winter LAST winter-- it seemed like we never had summer and now it's mid winter again. This is not a good New England attitude at all. We are supposed to feel guilty if we sit down during the day. "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop." The state of Virginia is starting to sound really good to me. Must email sister who lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement