U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times

Advertisements

Found out this evening I will be a great-grandpa for the third time in September!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Found out this evening I will be a great-grandpa for the third time in September!
Congrats!!! GREAT grandpa - that is really special

Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What's CT leader?
For what I'm used to, that means Connecticut
I'm betting whoever 'he' is, he didn't drive all the way from Connecticut to look at some snow
The leader of the forum who is in CT posted the info on temp and snow in Tally and the Tally member of the thread drove to see it because he was unaware of it until the Ct leader posted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You're right. But we're supposed to be drooling over seed catalogs, making stews and roasts, chopping away at ice, knitting, reading books, making quilts, checking on the veggies stored in the root cellar, all that good old winter stuff that just has gotten so boring and most of it I don't want to do anyway. Also, keeping the bird feeder filled even if we have to tromp out to it on snowshoes. Then there is the darning of socks and the mending of clothing.

I got sick of winter LAST winter-- it seemed like we never had summer and now it's mid winter again. This is not a good New England attitude at all. We are supposed to feel guilty if we sit down during the day. "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop." The state of Virginia is starting to sound really good to me. Must email sister who lives there.
Isn't COL high in Va? I dunno......

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, now I am utterly confused. Read this and you will see why. Dear me. Where's my crisco? lolololol

Smokin' Hot or Unsafe? Is cooking with grape seed oil a good idea? | Eat Naked Now
I always see it in the Kosher aisle, have always wanted to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
These cross-conversations have me laughing out loud. It's like watching a misfired game of pingpong. I feel like I'm already living in a nursing home--in the "advanced" unit. LOL
Naw, it justs proves how sharp we all are. Multitasking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Gosh you must have had kids young and they had kids young Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Lake Luzerne NY
Fair
-15F
-26C
  • Humidity70%
  • Wind SpeedCalm
  • Barometer30.11 in (1021.6 mb)
  • Dewpoint-22F (-30C)
  • Visibility10.00 mi
Last Update on 29 Jan 6:53 am EST

Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Wow. Reading the news this morning I find it incredible that just a couple inches of snow and a bit of cold could "paralyze" the South. And it was predicted. Those conditions are a non-event up here. Motorists report being stuck in their cars without food or water or blankets, etc. (my emergency preparedness would've come in handy).

Southern friends what's happening where you are.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
National weather service greenville-spartanburg sc
458 am est wed jan 29 2014

...widespread black ice will linger this morning...
...hazardous wind chills in the north carolina mountains...

.cold temperatures and gusty winds will result in hazardous wind
chill values in portions of the north carolina mountains...mainly
at higher elevations. In addition...widespread black ice will
remain on roads and bridges across the western carolinas and
northeast georgia. Motorist should expect very slick road
conditions through the the morning hours today.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,122,985 times
Quote:
Wow. Reading the news this morning I find it incredible that just a couple inches of snow and a bit of cold could "paralyze" the South. And it was predicted. Those conditions are a non-event up here. Motorists report being stuck in their cars without food or water or blankets, etc. (my emergency preparedness would've come in handy).

Not snow but black ice.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,644,467 times
Quote:
There's a certain kind of craziness that goes on in climates with prolonged intense cold. Retirees not going out every day as they once had into the workplace can slip into a state of madness for which there is no real diagnosis other than winter. I have just spent an entire two hours searching for real estate near my sister in SoCal. This is not something a true NewEnglander should admit, but there it is. I just emailed her asking details about several places I found. That's all she needs; I'll never hear the end of it.
Keep an eye on the weather during the spring. My mum used to like to call me from Chicago to rag on me when they were warmer there than we were down here.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,644,467 times
Quote:

It's because they don't have enough equipment to deal with even a couple of inches of snow, since it's so rare there.

What used to astonish me was that Chicago - who you'd think could prepare - would come to a standstill the first snowfall of *every* *winter*! Really - for the 30 years I lived there. You'd think they'd have it figured out by now.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:

It's not the snow . . . it is the ice.

I have not had problems all winter despite the snow here in Boone. However, this snow was also mixed with freezing rain and even though we didn't get but an inch or two here where I am, and the trucks were out with salt and sand - and my road was even scraped several times - things were slick and dangerous last night and in some areas, this morning.

Today, with the sun blazing, things will melt, water will run across the roads, and then freeze . . . so more black ice tonight and in the morning.

Friends in ATL reported that this was their problem - folks sliding all over the place, wrecks blocking traffic, bumper to bumper and no place to move/go.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 8,292 times
Quote:

First, let me say that my wife and I will be retiring in 120 days, but for now, while we are still working, we enjoy our NC snow days at home! We usually get one each winter, and for this year, today was the day!

As for a couple inches of snow paralyzing the South: I'm from MA, and when I was a kid, I made lots of money shoveling neighbors' yards. Now I live "down heah", and it's true the snow in NC is mostly kid stuff, and some drivers have trouble on the ice and snow, but that's because there is so little opportunity for them to learn to drive on it. That's a good thing, right? Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement