U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times

Advertisements

Southerners: I thought ice was just on your mountain roads. I didn't get how it could last very long on your highways. Up here, there's almost always no ice on highways b/c it melts under the traveling cars. Only the "roads" or untraveled highways would get ice. Does the South have sanding trucks? We salt the roads heavily and all the cars are now covered with a displeasing white layer of corrosive salt. It's no use washing your car, it just gets covered again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
We get ice here from idling cars, even with all the sand and chemicals. Bridges & overpasses can be especially dangerous and ice is far more dangerous than snow - you literally have no control. I can understand how this would cripple those in the South. I just got an email from a realtor in the Southport area and he described a bit of his adventure with the ice today. It's funny because I think he sees those of us in the North as having super powers when it comes to winter driving. But, of course, we all do () - like today: sun shining, completely clear streets (except residential areas) and there were tons of turkeys putzin along at 15 MPH. Hey, the roads are dry. This is when I want to create a road block and start taking drivers licenses away.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
We get ice here from idling cars, even with all the sand and chemicals. Bridges & overpasses can be especially dangerous and ice is far more dangerous than snow - you literally have no control. I can understand how this would cripple those in the South. I just got an email from a realtor in the Southport area and he described a bit of his adventure with the ice today. It's funny because I think he sees those of us in the North as having super powers when it comes to winter driving. But, of course, we all do () - like today: sun shining, completely clear streets (except residential areas) and there were tons of turkeys putzin along at 15 MPH. Hey, the roads are dry. This is when I want to create a road block and start taking drivers licenses away.
I can see you as Officer Umbria dressed like Officer Marge Gunderson(Frances McDormand) in Fargo. LOL. Google it on youtube to see what she looks like.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 PM

Good Lord. I've never seen anything like this even in the nastiest northern winters.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/atlanta-...ice-snowstorm/

Just want to add how impressed I am at the generosity of Southerners helping each other. The news articles about incredible generosity and risk taking through postings on Facebook are really heartwarming. Shows the spirit of the Southern people—people everywhere when there's an emergency.

Last edited by RiverBird; 01-29-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I can see you as Officer Umbria dressed like Officer Marge Gunderson(Frances McDormand) in Fargo. LOL. Google it on youtube to see what she looks like.
I know what she looks like and I know what she sounds like. BTW - I have heard 1 person in my life time that talked that way - a roofer that every time he talked I just couldn't stop grinning. I stopped when I realized that he thought I was flirting with him.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,480,998 times
Quote:

You should see Officer Clark (aka "Kampus Kop") is his uniform ... he looks so butch!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You should see Officer Clark (aka "Kampus Kop") is his uniform ... he looks so butch!
After all these years it's definitely time to post pictures of ourselves. You go first!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 PM

He's already posted a pic of himself - your turn

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
He's already posted a pic of himself - your turn
No you next, then a few others, then maybe me.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
No you next, then a few others, then maybe me.
Nice try~~~~~don't be shy ~~~~we won't go "Whaaaahahahahahahah", promise

Last edited by Umbria; 01-29-2014 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement