U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times

Advertisements

OK - What do we like about being retired?????????

The news guy just announced that we are having ANOTHER snow storm tomorrow (2-4") and it will be in full force during morning rush hour. Let's hear it - halleluiah - roll over and peak out the window and go back to sleep.

No more~~~~~~~~~~no more~~~~~~~~~~no more~~~~~~~~~~~~no more

Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Default AWWWWW Too cute~~~

Stop Everything You Are Doing Right Now & Watch the Budweiser Super Bowl Ad Guaranteed to Melt Your Heart | Video | TheBlaze.com

Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaman View Post
First, let me say that my wife and I will be retiring in 120 days, but for now, while we are still working, we enjoy our NC snow days at home! We usually get one each winter, and for this year, today was the day!

As for a couple inches of snow paralyzing the South: I'm from MA, and when I was a kid, I made lots of money shoveling neighbors' yards. Now I live "down heah", and it's true the snow in NC is mostly kid stuff, and some drivers have trouble on the ice and snow, but that's because there is so little opportunity for them to learn to drive on it. That's a good thing, right? Right.
I just noticed that you are a new poster! Welcome!

And if I read correctly, you are also in NC, as am I.

Nice countdown to retirement - you will be retiring in the Spring. That will be a pleasant way to begin your new life.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 AM

7 posts, read 8,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just noticed that you are a new poster! Welcome!

And if I read correctly, you are also in NC, as am I.

Nice countdown to retirement - you will be retiring in the Spring. That will be a pleasant way to begin your new life.
Thank you. It's nice to be here.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Skaters on Lake George yesterday/

Yeah, Umb, I'm with you. This whole winter almost all I wanted to do was stay in bed

Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
CCcgirl - what a beautiful scene!

I am still okay with the winter weather. Everyone I know is sick of it already (except my son) but to me, this is when the earth sleeps and the long dark nights and cold days are a time for examining and repairing the inner life. And a time for planning for the next season in the cycle of life.

I don't know whether it is something in my genetic code (I seem to have inherited a lot of my genetics from my Swiss peeps) but my son and I love to get out in this stuff. The cold air is so sweet and pure and uplifting. Of course, no one wants to be out in subzero weather with the wind blowing! But in the teens or subdegree when we are bundled up properly and no wind - we are fine.

The key is having warm clothing and a place to warm up and dry off afterward.

I have an outdoor heater that makes for a delightful cup of coffee in the snow.

We used to ski. I miss it.

Anyway, I am still doing fine with the snow but am looking forward to Spring and all the tasks I hope to start in order to create my container gardens this year. :-)

Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Umbria, thank you for posting that link to the great video.

It was fun to watch and brought back a long ago sweet memory of taking my own golden retriever pup up to the riding stables in the hills so that he could meet some horses. I knew that we would encounter riders on the trails and wanted him to see and smell some horses before we met up with some and he was off leash. Like the pup in the video he too took an instant liking to the horses, although I only held him in my arms so that he could get nose to nose.

The trainers who worked with the horses and pups to make this video get a standing ovation from me. It illustrates how early one can begin training puppies and that's a good thing in my book.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:17 AM

Zugor - Thanks ` I kept hearing about this Super Bowl commercial but that it was being kept under wraps. I think it is so cute - I want that puppy and would love a horse but no place to keep it.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
That was great. Thanks for posting.
I do love the Budweiser commercials they make.

My all time favorite though is the Budweiser donkey commercial.
I'm biased here because I have 3 donkeys that I just love to death.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That was great. Thanks for posting.
I do love the Budweiser commercials they make.

My all time favorite though is the Budweiser donkey commercial.
I'm biased here because I have 3 donkeys that I just love to death.
Donkeys! Do they go "Hee Haw"?

Here's a cute video from the Wildlife Center in N MN - you can add your own captions but really, Vinnie is one brave vole:

January 24, 2014 - Holly and Vinny the Vole - North American Bear Center - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement