U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

Hint of things to come: Geoengineering: Scientists Debate Risks Of Sun-Blocking And Other Climate Tweaks To Fight Warming

You'll love this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_winter
Do the "scientists" realize this? Read: extinction.

 
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,209,134 times
Reputation: 7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Phone the library or go online to renew.
Can't rep you for this - gotta spread the love around doncha know.

Well, DUH, why didn't I think of that? Actually I forgot that there's a humane society meeting tonight so I'll be going right by the library on my way there.

As prepped as I can be for the big snow headed our way. All the basics are set - red wine, dark chocolate, dog treats, charged kindle, firewood and candles, etc, etc.
 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
As prepped as I can be for the big snow headed our way. All the basics are set - red wine, dark chocolate, dog treats, charged kindle, firewood and candles, etc, etc.
LOL that's my survival list too. Esp the first two. And a stack of movies. I keep thinking winter is on its way over but apparently not. We've gotten hit with storms into April. So far this winter we've been spared, but probably not for long. Stay safe, everyone in the path of the next round.
 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656
Guess I spoke too soon. Just logged on to weather.com and see "Winter Storm Pax" (whatever that means) is sending a foot of snow right up the coast into the Northeast before Friday. If ice coats the power lines, we will be in trouble. Weather.com shows the path, which spares the areas smack on the coast. Freezing rain in the deep South is what I would fear up here. We're lucky to be retirees and can stay off the roads, canceling our appointments. I can't imagine Atlanta going through this again, they appear not to be better prepared although they're wise canceling schools in advance this time and having people work at home.
 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,209,134 times
Reputation: 7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Guess I spoke too soon. Just logged on to weather.com and see "Winter Storm Pax" (whatever that means) is sending a foot of snow right up the coast into the Northeast before Friday. If ice coats the power lines, we will be in trouble. Weather.com shows the path, which spares the areas smack on the coast. Freezing rain in the deep South is what I would fear up here. We're lucky to be retirees and can stay off the roads, canceling our appointments. I can't imagine Atlanta going through this again, they appear not to be better prepared although they're wise canceling schools in advance this time and having people work at home.
The Weather Channel has taken to naming winter storms, the way that hurricanes are named. This storm is named Pax. Seems needless to me but then perhaps they have research which shows that their viewers want storms to have names.

I always assume that we could lose power and do the things necessary to manage without it for a time. Thus the Coleman stove is in the kitchen, both kerosene heaters are filled to the brim with an additional 10 gallons of fuel on hand, lots of water set aside in 3 liter bottles since my well doesn't pump without power and it's nice to be able to flush toilets, make coffee and tea, have the dogs water bucket full of fresh water, etc.

I'll indulge in a LONG hot shower just before the flakes start to fall and hope that I won't be needing too many sponge baths as though I were backpacking. Nothing like a week of backpacking and camping to make one appreciate the delights of modern plumbing.
 
Old 02-11-2014, 02:02 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,092 posts, read 13,356,175 times
Reputation: 14875
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

As prepped as I can be for the big snow headed our way. All the basics are set - red wine, dark chocolate, dog treats, charged kindle, firewood and candles, etc, etc.
Got this book loaded into the Kindle?

 
Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Officer Clark, your house certainly should be in BH&G!

LOL all, yet another slam storm coming, yep, sick of it too already, i'm hoping it stays south of us, sorry in_ne and negirl. They are sayibg on the news the ice in the south vould be epic, historical,

Yep, we're well stocked, too.

moonshine, check
vodka, check
gas for generator, yup
 
Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,936,627 times
Reputation: 32336
High about 80 degrees today where I live. I suppose I'll have to miss out on that snug and cozy feeling of being well stocked up on everything and hunkering down by the fire for several days with a favorite drink in one hand and a favorite book in the other. There is a real satisfaction in knowing one has prepared well. But I'm doing my best not to feel sorry for myself and to keep my envy in check.
 
Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
High about 80 degrees today where I live. I suppose I'll have to miss out on that snug and cozy feeling of being well stocked up on everything and hunkering down by the fire for several days with a favorite drink in one hand and a favorite book in the other. There is a real satisfaction in knowing one has prepared well. But I'm doing my best not to feel sorry for myself and to keep my envy in check.
Bah!
 
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
LOL Escort, did you get any much needed rain?

LMAO Umb!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top