U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,207,013 times
Reputation: 7276

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So the powerball winner was in MO.
The website for powerball says there were 2 winning tickets, one in MO and the other in AZ. I'm not sure I'd really want to win that much money.

My mechanic won the powerball plus (or what ever it's called) and won $2 million this past summer. Thinking about it I figured that would be more than enough for me. Pay off the mortgage and get a second car since I don't always need a huge Suburban when I need to go someplace. The 'burb is great for the times that I am taking foster dogs and equipment to adoption events 35 miles away, for trips to Costco to stock up on dog food, tp, etc. and for driving down across the creek to the other half of my property where my woodlot is.

Winning a huge amount seems like it would be an enormous headache at this stage of my life and I really don't have any desire to own my own jet or much more stuff than I currently have. Wouldn't mind hiring a housekeeper once a week though since I don't find routine chores to be all that appealing.

Time to do my first round of exercises to help deal with the Frozen Shoulder, then later an appointment for physical therapy for same issue. Gotta get all the critters fed too since they seem to like to eat every darn day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,664 posts, read 11,118,048 times
Reputation: 19453
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The website for powerball says there were 2 winning tickets, one in MO and the other in AZ. I'm not sure I'd really want to win that much money.

My mechanic won the powerball plus (or what ever it's called) and won $2 million this past summer. Thinking about it I figured that would be more than enough for me. Pay off the mortgage and get a second car since I don't always need a huge Suburban when I need to go someplace. The 'burb is great for the times that I am taking foster dogs and equipment to adoption events 35 miles away, for trips to Costco to stock up on dog food, tp, etc. and for driving down across the creek to the other half of my property where my woodlot is.

Winning a huge amount seems like it would be an enormous headache at this stage of my life and I really don't have any desire to own my own jet or much more stuff than I currently have. Wouldn't mind hiring a housekeeper once a week though since I don't find routine chores to be all that appealing.

Time to do my first round of exercises to help deal with the Frozen Shoulder, then later an appointment for physical therapy for same issue. Gotta get all the critters fed too since they seem to like to eat every darn day.
You could give the extra money to animal groups who help animals, work to educate people, and lobby for animal rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The website for powerball says there were 2 winning tickets, one in MO and the other in AZ. I'm not sure I'd really want to win that much money.

My mechanic won the powerball plus (or what ever it's called) and won $2 million this past summer. Thinking about it I figured that would be more than enough for me. Pay off the mortgage and get a second car since I don't always need a huge Suburban when I need to go someplace. The 'burb is great for the times that I am taking foster dogs and equipment to adoption events 35 miles away, for trips to Costco to stock up on dog food, tp, etc. and for driving down across the creek to the other half of my property where my woodlot is.

Winning a huge amount seems like it would be an enormous headache at this stage of my life and I really don't have any desire to own my own jet or much more stuff than I currently have. Wouldn't mind hiring a housekeeper once a week though since I don't find routine chores to be all that appealing.

Time to do my first round of exercises to help deal with the Frozen Shoulder, then later an appointment for physical therapy for same issue. Gotta get all the critters fed too since they seem to like to eat every darn day.


little piglets. Yes, you could give that nasty money to the mooches - after you get rid of all the mooches. OR,, give it to me. Hope your shoulder gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,207,013 times
Reputation: 7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You could give the extra money to animal groups who help animals, work to educate people, and lobby for animal rights.
Actually that is exactly my motivation when I do occasionally buy a single ticket - to build a small shelter here in this rural community and fully fund it and have paid staff since right now the little humane society that I an involved with is strictly foster based and we just don't have enough volunteers to foster as many cats and dogs as there are needing homes, or to do all the other things that are a part of every rescue effort. But then once my mechanic won I figured what are the chances of our little local market selling another big winner. So I've slacked off spending even that one dollar now and again.

Had a bit of a fight break out last night between my two newest fosters and it totally surprised me since they have been getting along just fine for two weeks. So now I have to have them each crated and in separate rooms. It is really stressing out my oldest personal dog - a 90 pound black lab is afraid of these little 15 pound girls. What's a mother to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,615,515 times
Reputation: 22439
WHAT ON EARTH? I have been posting very little on my home forum (Charlotte forum) b/c of so many negative and mean spirited comments . . . but I have continued to post some during the week on other forums - including this one.

I just had someone send me a DM asking if I had called them a "narcissist" in a DM. Now, I am assuming they are talking about a reputation comment - I have had people write ugly things to me anonymously in those comments before.

I always sign my rep comments and I would never "waste" giving someone rep only to write something ugly. That would be counter-intuitive, indeed. So I was rather stunned that anyone would think I would do this type of thing. I sign my name to my rep comments as those of you who have gotten rep from me would know.

But then it occurred to me . . . I guess anyone could write a comment and sign my name. ???? Surely the moderators can track those comments down to an IP address??? I told the person who wrote me and asked if I called them a narcissist should contact a moderator.

It is awful when people would do such things but it really concerns me that someone who has posted w/ me for a while would think I would leave an ugly anonymous comment. :-(

And it is even worse to be wrongly accused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
 
5,996 posts, read 6,853,724 times
Reputation: 15519
I am just reading about the winners.

So far this couple/family has violated every rule in the book:

Told everyone that would listen. Told their children via text message. Could not have possibly planned in 48 hours how to deal with such a windfall. Didn't keep quiet for a few weeks/months/forever while they sorted things out. Came forward themselves instead of using an agent to represent them.

I know it is exciting, but i really don't think people have any idea of how much they have actually won; nor how it will impact their lives. Start with at least 20-30,000 requests to fund someone's sob story. I don't think any of us can imagine.

But clearly these people are just winging it, and can't possibly have it end well, despite their best intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,121,826 times
Reputation: 42872
Anifani, I've seen this come up before on the About CD forum. As I recall, you don't need the person who received it to make the request, I think you can also request that a mod trace it. By all means do so, that's a really loathsome thing to do and something to nip in the bud.

IMO, if you receive a nasty rep point that is signed, it's a good idea to check with that person to see if he sent it. Most people who send mean spirited comments don't sign them, so that's a clue that something is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,615,515 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Anifani, I've seen this come up before on the About CD forum. As I recall, you don't need the person who received it to make the request, I think you can also request that a mod trace it. By all means do so, that's a really loathsome thing to do and something to nip in the bud.

IMO, if you receive a nasty rep point that is signed, it's a good idea to check with that person to see if he sent it. Most people who send mean spirited comments don't sign them, so that's a clue that something is wrong.
Good point (about someone signing their name).

Sad that some people feel they have to be ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,615,515 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I am just reading about the winners.

So far this couple/family has violated every rule in the book:

Told everyone that would listen. Told their children via text message. Could not have possibly planned in 48 hours how to deal with such a windfall. Didn't keep quiet for a few weeks/months/forever while they sorted things out. Came forward themselves instead of using an agent to represent them.

I know it is exciting, but i really don't think people have any idea of how much they have actually won; nor how it will impact their lives. Start with at least 20-30,000 requests to fund someone's sob story. I don't think any of us can imagine.

But clearly these people are just winging it, and can't possibly have it end well, despite their best intentions.
I have not bothered to check out the info on the winners! Now you have me very curious so I will go see what I can find.

I agree . . . anyone coming into a sizeable amount of money should be more circumspect about announcing it to the world . . . and IF it has to be announced, do it only after consulting a tax attorney, CPA, financial planner, etc.

I hope this is not going to be another sad situation where folks end up with a lot of life problems b/c of a sudden windfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,207,013 times
Reputation: 7276
Went down to Winston-Salem to go Costco shopping and a friend came along with me. As usual I spent far more on pet food than on stuff for my self. I managed to resist the temptation to buy a big, flat screen TV and will stick with my 24 year old 27" CRT unit for a while yet. We found a nice Chinese restaurant afterward and enjoyed a delicious lunch for a moderate price and Chinese food is not available in Floyd so it was a good treat.

At PT yesterday they gave me a simply pulley contraption that hooks over a door so I can add another exercise to work this Frozen Shoulder. If at the end of 12 sessions there does not seem to be much improvement they will send me back to my doc and said she will most likely send me on to an orthopedic specialist. I'm not willing to consider surgery at this time but there is some other procedure simply called manipulation that is done under full anesthesia. I'm not wild about that idea either.

I'll finally be taking the Suburban in to the shop for an oil change - it's taken me 5 months to put 3,000 miles on it. I guess that is one of the benefits of being retired, you get to stay home a lot. If it weren't for my involvement in the humane society and doing lots of driving to adoption events, the spay/neuter clinic, going out to help trap feral cats around the county, etc. I'd hardly go anywhere.

It's time for another cuppa joe and then get all the critters fed and meds dispensed to a couple of them, then dressed to work boots and take the 'Burb over to my mechanic.

Hope you all have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top