U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 PM

3,756 posts, read 4,269,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Has been mentioned often in the news and by the locals. You guys really got hit harder than expected and more to come. Most people don't have shovels.

Shhhhh ... Did I mention the humongous amount of snow that we have? No? Why not? Because I prefer to pretend it is not out there waiting for me to shovel. Lah Lah Lah... Just floating down the River of Denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:27 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,467,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Shhhhh ... Did I mention the humongous amount of snow that we have? No? Why not? Because I prefer to pretend it is not out there waiting for me to shovel. Lah Lah Lah... Just floating down the River of Denial.

How very strange - I have the very same river here.

I just booked my trip and I want you all to do the spring chant/dance starting 3/14~~~"No snow~~No snow~~No snow"

Old 02-13-2014, 12:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,418,870 times
Umbria, your moving trip or a vaca thing?

That river sure covers a lot of areas, it's right across the road here.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Umbria, your moving trip or a vaca thing?

That river sure covers a lot of areas, it's right across the road here.

This is a moving thing and of course will be a vaca also. Cant wait to get away - I think I'm snow blind.

Bought some new tunes for my trip. This is going to cost me a fortune but you only live once - right

Old 02-13-2014, 01:37 PM

2,513 posts, read 1,737,789 times
I watch the weather ferecasts for NY, IN and our area in FL. My poor parents and sister have had a rough winter in IN along with our neighbors in NY. In our 28 winters in NY we never had one like this one for snow and low temps.

Other than northern FL, the rest of the FL is out of the loop with all the storms that move cross the country, they all track north of here with affects that drop the temps and being some rain to our area, It's like living in a different country

Old 02-13-2014, 04:25 PM

20,291 posts, read 19,272,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I watch the weather ferecasts for NY, IN and our area in FL. My poor parents and sister have had a rough winter in IN along with our neighbors in NY. In our 28 winters in NY we never had one like this one for snow and low temps.

Other than northern FL, the rest of the FL is out of the loop with all the storms that move cross the country, they all track north of here with affects that drop the temps and being some rain to our area, It's like living in a different country
I don't think the north has even seen a winter like this, not in living memory anyway. I'm usually up to the challenge but at this point I just feel worn down from battling against the weather. Seems that's all I do!

Wondering if some regulars on here have lost power in this storm. Ours blinked on and off, hope it stays ON.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,418,870 times
no flickers here (knocks on wood)

Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM

I received this from a friend since I may be a southern gal soon~~~I told her the first time someone throws a "bless your heart" at me I was going to throw a "ufdah - you betcha" right back at em

Old 02-13-2014, 07:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,156,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't think the north has even seen a winter like this, not in living memory anyway. I'm usually up to the challenge but at this point I just feel worn down from battling against the weather. Seems that's all I do!

Wondering if some regulars on here have lost power in this storm. Ours blinked on and off, hope it stays ON.
Oh come on, in_newengland, you know darned well we've had some doozies far worse than this winter! Was it the winter of '94 when we had a major snowstorm every single friggin' Wednesday for weeks? And the Nor'easter of Halloween that started the winter of 2011 was worse than the winter we're in now. And we've had winters with snow up to the tops of first floor windows! We've lost power so many times in past winters we've become pros living by wood and candlelight. I think your memory is shot.

(Time to take a little drive up the coast for a lobster roll.)

Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM

20,291 posts, read 19,272,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh come on, in_newengland, you know darned well we've had some doozies far worse than this winter! Was it the winter of '94 when we had a major snowstorm every single friggin' Wednesday for weeks? And the Nor'easter of Halloween that started the winter of 2011 was worse than the winter we're in now. And we've had winters with snow up to the tops of first floor windows! We've lost power so many times in past winters we've become pros living by wood and candlelight. I think your memory is shot.

(Time to take a little drive up the coast for a lobster roll.)
Well! (hands on hips). I think that was the winter of '97 you're talking about--every single weekend. The winter that I decided to get out of the area I grew up in and come out here.

The Nor'easter of Halloween didn't even happen out here. So glad I moved here.

Sure, we've had bad storms but not this continued sub freezing weather. I wouldn't be surprised if this cold hasn't set a record for a winter. Then, add the snowstorms on top of it and I think this could be the worst ever. (I hate lobster rolls--moved out here for somewhat better weather.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement