U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 12:55 PM

3,430 posts, read 5,296,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Zug, and all with winter weather please be extra careful in these conditions.

The high winds filled up every dang spot I shoveled out for walkways, so had to do over this morning. By the time I got up to the barn and fed the boys and came back down to get the paper I was so warm I went out for the paper in my tee shirt (long sleeved.)
Thanks CCc, Since there is no danger of me running out of dark chocolate or red wine in the next couple of days I have no need whatsoever to venture outside other than to accompany the dogs on to the back porch and observe them for the few minutes they need for pit stops.

Like you, we have high winds today which makes the temp of 25 feel like 11 according to the wunderground site. The snow has stopped and the sun is shining brightly so at least it is not so gloomy.

I just heard from a friend who is on 3 waiting lists for someone who can plow their long, winding, dirt driveway and she has no idea how soon any of them will be able to get to her. She and her husband have their own business doing home inspections and other related jobs and so they will need to get out soon. They have already had to postpone or cancel several jobs.

The National Weather Service summary of this storm showed that of the entire area the place with the highest snow totals were here at 3 different locations in Floyd Co with Pilot coming in at 28.5 inches before todays additional snow.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:11 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,573,589 times
LOL Zugor, thankfully there is no danger of a moonshine, vodka or chocolate shortage here, either!

Our winds ended last night, it's calm and warm compared to the last few weeks. Light snow with no accumulation this morning. Two more nights in the single digits and then the warmup begins.

I do hope any one buried in has adequate supplies......

I have no idea what our snowfall total is and I don't really care at this point

Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 PM

22,633 posts, read 12,666,918 times
Talking about chocolate ... I made a very disappointing discovery!!!

I always regarded February 15th as National Half-Price Chocolate Day.

So, after breakfast this morning I strolled the six blocks to my nearest CVS drugstore, and ... the Valentine's Day chocolate was NOT on sale !!!

The clerk said that maybe it will go on sale in another couple of days ...

What is wrong with these people? Haven't been informed about National Half-Price Chocolate Day ???

Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 PM

20,987 posts, read 19,934,142 times
"They" didn't think we had enough snow yet so we're getting more now. All day long.
All night long. Today we took up chair caning. Needed to be done.

(Sorry about the chocolate. Must have been a terrible shock!!!!! Maybe there will be a lot left for you due to people not being able to get out from the snow.)

Old 02-16-2014, 07:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,383,411 times
Beware falling icicles. Our house gutters are rock solid ice and the spillover has caused a dense row of long icicles all around the house. Before we go outdoors, from the indoors we have to knock these down so we don't get whacked in the head. Since we've been in this house the ice has not been that bad. Anyone with a pileup of snow on the roof can get ice jams thus leaking and collapsed ceilings, so roof raking is a wise idea. Roof rakes are not to be found, sold out, luckily we kept ours from the former house. Last summer I bought a special kind of snow shovel for $1 at a local tag sale. It was brand new. I asked why so cheap. Answer: We're moving SOUTH.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM

That's awful, Clark, they're looking for desperadoes that missed or delayed V day. Wait it out.

Good luck with the chair repairs, in_ne!

ne_girl, I have put off roof raking in the hope that warmer temps coming will take care of it for me.

You are right about those icicles, man they are getting huge!

Chilly this morning, 13F but the sun will bring that up into the mid twenties soon. Wondering what to do today, maybe poke around the attic for new ebay things to list.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
That's awful, Clark, they're looking for desperadoes that missed or delayed V day. Wait it out.

Good luck with the chair repairs, in_ne!

ne_girl, I have put off roof raking in the hope that warmer temps coming will take care of it for me.

You are right about those icicles, man they are getting huge!

Chilly this morning, 13F but the sun will bring that up into the mid twenties soon. Wondering what to do today, maybe poke around the attic for new ebay things to list.
New EBAY things to list??? I got three listed yesterday in between caning the chair seat. This winter-being-trapped-in-the-house-weather is good for something after all. Besides, the buyers are out!!

NEG, maybe you could get some great snow pictures, especially of icicles.

Our plowing guy said maybe he can come tomorrow afternoon. oh hooray. wonder what it's like to go out in the car.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Cool, in_ne, I have some dinnerware scheduled to go off tonight. I've been listing my stuff at giveaway prices just to clear out.

I found something to do!!!!! I'm making NE clam chowdah!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM

3,430 posts, read 5,296,002 times
Quote:

I found something to do!!!!! I'm making NE clam chowdah!!!!!!!!
YUM..Unfortunately neither my transponder or my magic wand are working right now or I'd be there in a flash to partake of some.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
YUM..Unfortunately neither my transponder or my magic wand are working right now or I'd be there in a flash to partake of some.
Oh, CCc, you will be very busy and it will be yummy (although I'm one of few New Englanders who will not eat clam chowdah.)

With this talk of food, I feel almost like trying to get the front door open, climbing over the snowbanks and trudging to the homemade fudge store. We may be out in the sticks but there is an entire old fashioned homemade chocolates and fudge store that's just a 1/4 mile trudge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement