Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times

Advertisements

in_ne, maybe if you call them they could meet you at the end of the drive?

Zugor I would love to share. Bonus, I used white turnips instead of potatoes so it's low carb! It came out great BTW. I also added carrot for some color, and did half and half instead of cream. Here's the link:

New England Clam Chowder Recipe | Epicurious.com

Old 02-16-2014, 01:39 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Zugor I would love to share. Bonus, I used white turnips instead of potatoes so it's low carb! It came out great BTW. I also added carrot for some color, and did half and half instead of cream. Here's the link:

THAT sounds good (except for the clams LOL).

I did go out. With the dog-- he was so excited to really go out on his leash. We just can't dig our car out because the plows have made a concrete mountain range all along the side of our car, which we had to park right in front of the house. We couldn't park it in the driveway because our camper is there plus a tall and wide mountain of snow from Thursday's storm. It's beyond ridiculous.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:04 PM

I know what you mean, the snowpack is ridiculous on the road. I did manage to clear the end of the driveway, ahain, after they plowed us in, again.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Thanks for the recipe.

I don't know who came up with the "Manhattan clam chowder" because in my book the creamy New England is the only proper clam chowder out there. My mother and father both would only have New England clam chowder, and they were both born in Manhattan!!!

Now a tomato-based and spicy seafood chowder is another thing.

Oyster stew was another family favorite, and that is a creamy milk-based concoction as well.

Nowadays I love Thai shrimp and seafood soups. Tom Yum Goong is a spicy shrimp soup made with lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime and other things. It's delicious! Tom Kha Goong is made withy coconut milk. They all contain, I believe, the ever present Nam Pla fish sauce.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
CCC & Zugor - you two are going to be in great shape from all that shoveling - lots of work though. Enough of this. We haven't had a great storms but because of the lack of any warmer weather the stuff we have just keeps stacking up. We will have major slop in spring. This a.m. I went out to get the paper and there were lots of rabbit feet on the fresh snow - can't believe we have so many rabbits in this area and they all come to my house for midnight snack

Love clam chowdah - not familiar with Manhattan chowdah. My mom would make oyster stew but I refused to eat it because of cartoon that showed the oysters jumping up and snapping the spoon - dumb.

I see Livecontent showed up on another retirement thread - he disappears and then glad to see he's OK.

Long long long winter~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost over though.

See ya~~~~~~

Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Started this day with tears and joy ~ what an exhilarating experience, demonstration of the beauty of human life and achievement.

2014 US Nationals - Meryl Davis & Charlie White - Free Dance PERFECTION - YouTube

Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 AM

Clark, do you make your own Thai or take out? I would be hard pressed to find those ingredients up here in the sticks.

Umbria, I dunno about being in great shape, my back and legs are not thanking me. Nor do they when mowing, so the season is really a moot point.

We haven't had a rabbit here in years. Don't know why.

Cool link negirl!

Thankfully it did not get to the 5 below that was forecast. 3F at the barn. The warmup later this week with possible rain should be interesting..........

Have a great day all!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 AM

NEG, I just watched that beautiful video of Davis & White--Last night watching them on tv I said I could watch them forever. I think they got the highest score possible, will check on that. What a thrill to watch. Thanks for posting it.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 AM

meryl-charlie.com

Here is a compilation of articles and, at the end, a lot of beautiful pictures. They are on again tonight, competing for the gold!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Good morning all!

Well, I have been on a strange journey that last few weeks.

Hubby's cath procedure was cancelled the day of the procedure. I had booked a trip to Hawai'i last April 2013 for the 5th through the 14th, but had assumed I would have to cancel it due to hubby not being able to handle the challenges of travel (but hubs had said - wait to the last minute to cancel). The docs said - if you are going to do it, do it now - so off we went. I had booked flights/lodging for our son and his fiancee as well -- they are so helpful with the logistics of dealing with hubby's travel limitations and their upbeat attitudes are a blessing.

We stayed on the Big Island. Son was able to do the driving and help with Hubby's wheel chair. So we did manage things alright (although dealing with luggage and a wheel chair were challenging).

We visited the botanical gardens, had lunch in the National Park restaurant with a perfect view of a volcano, saw a black beach, watched humpback whales feeding and frolicking, and had the best food one can imagine. I bought some variations of "muu muus" which are adorable (more like caftans, I guess). We visited farmer's market for fresh fruit as we had a full kitchen and I did some cooking. Our condo was beautiful and well appointed. The kids and I got up every morning to take photos of sunrise and enjoy the wonderful Kona coffee on the patio.

We were sitting in the airport this past Thursday, ready to board our flight back to Charlotte, knowing that my friends had been texting me and saying the CLT TV stations were saying the airport would be CLOSED shortly, and finally USAirways announced CLT airport was closed and our flight was cancelled. That left us stranded in Phoenix for two days. Customer service was horrific - a nightmare.

We went to the USAir club and even with the help of the concierge there, we were not able to secure a voucher to help with hotel expense. So I just booked us all rooms at a nice little boutique hotel in the heart of Phoenix, rented a car, and said - we are going to explore Phoenix (the adult children had never been there). I love Phoenix. On the list: Roosevelt art district, art museum, the "top rated" coffee house in town, wine bar and camel back mountains. We had a wonderful time in Phoenix and it reminded me that hubby and I used to talk about retiring there and I am not sure why we stopped considering it (I guess - distance).

Met some wonderful folks in Phoenix, had a great time.

Flew back into Charlotte on Sat. We still have snow but at least our driveway was clear (melted).

I am getting caught up on laundry and have some client work so back to normal life.

Not sure about hubby's cath procedure and what is next. Long story on that and won't bore everyone with it.

I am glad we went to Hawai'i but that was our last big family trip. It was a struggle for hubby and he stayed frustrated much of the time b/c he has no stamina and can't walk but a few feet at a time. He enjoyed being there but he can't seem to accept his limitations with some grace, and I don't know that he ever will. That makes it difficult for the rest of us, to be frank. He won't even discuss talking to a professional about his attitude. He knows he is being difficult but he seems to have no filter these days.

Anyway, he had a good time in between being difficult, lol. And -- we missed Snowmageddon in the South, although we still have snow and our yard is one big mushy bog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement