U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757

Advertisements

Well now, damn you ladies!
It's been determined that the husband can't do the drive back home this spring and will fly, leaving me to go it alone.
I hadn't given a thought about the safety part of it until I read this

 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
old_cold, any reason why he can't drive? Maybe a vehicle change would help?

Is there anyone that could share the ride, even if just for companionship? Another snowbirder? Or even someone who is driving back North that could tag along, maybe share hotel expense?

I dread the move to FL, two hours in the rig and he's in pain. Someone mentioned valium.........
 
Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757
He just is no longer willing or able to sit in the car for hours at a time for 3 days.
I'll go back to 2 days without him along.
He wasn't doing any of the driving anyway so that's no different.
There's one guy that lives here and lives only 10 miles away from us up north and I gave it half a thought but he leaves earlier than we do and I'm not sure I could stand him for that long
I'm not thrilled with the whole idea but that's mostly because it's going to be pretty boring and monotonous but it'll be OK....just hadn't been thinking of the guns, dogs or insect spray until these posts (and will do my best to forget them
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Reputation: 7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm not thrilled with the whole idea but that's mostly because it's going to be pretty boring and monotonous but it'll be OK....just hadn't been thinking of the guns, dogs or insect spray until these posts (and will do my best to forget them
Maybe you could look in to helping transport a rescue dog or two, even just part of the way. They are usually very nice, quiet company and they sure do appreciate the life saving ride.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
He just is no longer willing or able to sit in the car for hours at a time for 3 days.
I'll go back to 2 days without him along.
He wasn't doing any of the driving anyway so that's no different.
There's one guy that lives here and lives only 10 miles away from us up north and I gave it half a thought but he leaves earlier than we do and I'm not sure I could stand him for that long
I'm not thrilled with the whole idea but that's mostly because it's going to be pretty boring and monotonous but it'll be OK....just hadn't been thinking of the guns, dogs or insect spray until these posts (and will do my best to forget them
We are creative
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well now, damn you ladies!
It's been determined that the husband can't do the drive back home this spring and will fly, leaving me to go it alone.
I hadn't given a thought about the safety part of it until I read this
I find it's best to have faith in your own common sense and abilities and not dwell on the what ifs. Call me paranoid but it's like you are inviting trouble.

Good luck with your trip back.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I find it's best to have faith in your own common sense and abilities and not dwell on the what ifs. Call me paranoid but it's like you are inviting trouble.

Good luck with your trip back.
Always be prepared is my motto (oops, that was the Boy Scouts). "What would you do if..." is something I rehearsed when I had to do public talks. That mental rehearsal actually got me out of a couple of scrapes.

Isn't it time for you to hit the road too? It's summer here, mid-40s and sunny. Even better where you're headed. I've always loved the idea "hop in the car and go." I don't know where (well, I do) and can't wait.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Always be prepared is my motto (oops, that was the Boy Scouts). "What would you do if..." is something I rehearsed when I had to do public talks. That mental rehearsal actually got me out of a couple of scrapes.

Isn't it time for you to hit the road too? It's summer here, mid-40s and sunny. Even better where you're headed. I've always loved the idea "hop in the car and go." I don't know where (well, I do) and can't wait.
Well it isn't 40 here - aaarrrrrgggghhhhh~~~

I'll leave mid March through ???????? I will eventually come back but not until I know this white shat is nearly gone - mid April. I'll head to Asheville for a few days on my way back.

It's tax time so I am gathering all my tax stuff so I can do them at night in the hotel when all the boogey men are out.

I'm going to borrow the biggest pit bull I can find to go with me.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Always be prepared is my motto (oops, that was the Boy Scouts). "What would you do if..." is something I rehearsed when I had to do public talks. That mental rehearsal actually got me out of a couple of scrapes.

Isn't it time for you to hit the road too? It's summer here, mid-40s and sunny. Even better where you're headed. I've always loved the idea "hop in the car and go." I don't know where (well, I do) and can't wait.
I have always liked to drive and have always enjoyed road trips, ever since I was a kid and our family took them. At age 62 I had the most wonderful experience on a six-week, 10,000 mile solo road trip from Los Angeles up through the redwood country of Northern California, the Oregon coast, the Canadian Rockies, Kansas, St. Louis, Amish country in Ohio, Buffalo, Washington D.C., the Blue Ridge Parkway, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, and back through the American Southwest. I visited old friends, cousins, my childhood neighborhood, my godparents whom I hadn't seen in over 20 years, many (mostly aircraft) museums. Several times I was invited to stay the night (up to four nights with several different people) but mostly stayed in motels. One former childhood neighbor I hadn't seen since he was 11 years old - we both enjoyed the reunion.

Since that time I have taken some shorter road trips which I also greatly enjoyed: in 2011 as far east as Baton Rouge and Little Rock and in 2012 again through Baton Rouge and Little Rock and on up to Kansas City. There are great museums all over this country, a few even off the beaten path such as the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg, Texas, and the Eisenhower and Truman national museums in Abilene, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri respectively. It was during the 2012 trip that I had the pleasure of meeting personally in the Ozarks with the only City-Data poster I've ever met in person. I was delighted with the live entertainment in Branson, Missouri, a place I had never been.

There is so much of interest right here in the continental United States. I've visited Alaska too, but not by car - my ex and I flew our own plane up there. Hawaii not yet, but I plan to go there before I croak.

I'll be taking off again in the car in August, this time (probably) as far as Blue Ridge, Georgia, where a first cousin lives.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757
Hey, there's an idea to keep a single traveling old ladies out of dangerous motel rooms at night!
Line up overnights with City Data members!

I appreciate all some of you have said about all the supplies you keep in your cars but have to admit to feeling pretty secure with a second set of keys,can of Fix-A-Flat, window cleaner and a roll of paper towels, a utility knife and most of all, my credit cards.
Of course, that is not for winter driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top