Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times

Advertisements

Last year, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century and was forced to get a cell phone. I consider a phone - a phone - and refused to get one with all the bells and whistles.

A friend, who knows me oh so well, knew I would snort (loudly) at this picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	126119

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Last year, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century and was forced to get a cell phone. I consider a phone - a phone - and refused to get one with all the bells and whistles.

A friend, who knows me oh so well, knew I would snort (loudly) at this picture

Attachment 126119
Well, I bought a throw away when I made a trip to CO a few years ago and <drum roll> - I did throw it away and never used it. I finally bought a big kids phone with all the bells & whistles. I figured with all those boogey men out there I need all the help I can get.

For many years I too refused to get that invisible leash. Maybe because as a proj. mgr. I was never free from that dam* thing, even when on vacation.

I do like my new toy - even got a Southport, NC # - ha. Sure hope I make it to NC.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, I bought a throw away when I made a trip to CO a few years ago and <drum roll> - I did throw it away and never used it. I finally bought a big kids phone with all the bells & whistles. I figured with all those boogey men out there I need all the help I can get.

For many years I too refused to get that invisible leash. Maybe because as a proj. mgr. I was never free from that dam* thing, even when on vacation.

I do like my new toy - even got a Southport, NC # - ha. Sure hope I make it to NC.
Southport is lovely and a popular retirement destination.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Southport is lovely and a popular retirement destination.
From my research it sounds like the perfect retirement location - Wilmington isn't that far so I can get my bigger city fix when I need it.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Forecasters are predicting a cold spring for the Northeast, with no real warmth till toward end of April/early May. We're nursing the remaining woodpile to get through to the end of March (used a lot this winter heating 90% with wood). We have half a tank of oil left, and we like to use up that one tank we order each fall at the end of the heating season. So we're nursing both. I refuse to buy another stick of seasoned wood or another drop of oil for this year (usually start getting green wood around now for next winter), so I'll be wearing my coat and earmuffs indoors in April if what they say is true.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I haven't gotten around to pruning back my rose bushes yet. I like to do it in the late winter, usually late Feb. ... before the sap begins to rise. It's been such a cold snowy winter.

When do you prune your rose bushes?

Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I haven't gotten around to pruning back my rose bushes yet. I like to do it in the late winter, usually late Feb. ... before the sap begins to rise. It's been such a cold snowy winter.

When do you prune your rose bushes?
When there is no more frost so you won't get die back, that's all I know. This is a good idea, thinking ahead. If I think of the present time, I think of cold and snow. Most of us in the northeast had better keep an eye on Sunday/Monday's storm. I'd love some sort of guarantee that it will be the last.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:23 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Well, the folks in California can thank my daughter for the rain! She finished taking the Bar exam yesterday and planned to look for housing today and tomorrow. I'm thinking her flight to WV will be delayed, if not cancelled, because of OUR impending storm. No, wait... We don't have an impending ice storm. La- la- la,... floating down the river.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Well, the folks in California can thank my daughter for the rain! She finished taking the Bar exam yesterday and planned to look for housing today and tomorrow. I'm thinking her flight to WV will be delayed, if not cancelled, because of OUR impending storm. No, wait... We don't have an impending ice storm. La- la- la,... floating down the river.
Yes, we're getting pounded, and the mud season is here.

I'll take it anyway we can get it. Tell your daughter thanks I hope she's not out driving in this mess.

As of noon, about 25 flights at LAX had been cancelled because of the rain ... not many for a high-traffic airport.

But the news media is driving me nuts. Wish they'd shut up already!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Congrats to your daughter - that is a major accomplishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement