U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 04:59 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I realize this may be more appropriate on another thread but I wanted to make sure you all are reminded. You may not read some of these other threads.

...her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet... etc... was stolen.
20 minutes later when she called her hubby telling him what had happened, hubby says "I've just received your text asking about our Pin number and I replied a little while ago."

When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text "hubby" in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

The wife looked stricken. She said that they couldn't do any Christmas shopping; they had no money to bring her mother for a month long visit beginning on Christmas, something that had become a tradition. Her husband turned and hid his face in his hands so his wife couldn't see the big grin.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The wife looked stricken. She said that they couldn't do any Christmas shopping; they had no money to bring her mother for a month long visit beginning on Christmas, something that had become a tradition. Her husband turned and hid his face in his hands so his wife couldn't see the big grin.
Isn't it time to go walk your dogs

Last edited by Umbria; 12-09-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A good warning.

I do not use a bank ATM or debit card. I either use cash withdrawn from a bank (my three banks have allowed me a numerical password without which no transactions even deposits can be made) or a credit card that I pay off each month with rewards.

But your moral has other dimensions, as you can well imagine. I do not text, but isn't that record permanent in your phone?

I don't text either. I keep my POS limit on my ATM card low for this reason. (We have become a world of acronyms.)

BTW - we got our first real snow today (not sure but about 6" or so) - the first one is so much fun - it's gorgeous out there.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM

Default Something to look forward to

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
The grinch wants to remind you to leave your debit and credit cards at home and eat gruel for Christmas dinner.

Santa wants you to buy what you want, eat lots of good things, and have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
But what does Rudolph want?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
[/b]

I don't text either. I keep my POS limit on my ATM card low for this reason. (We have become a world of acronyms.)

BTW - we got our first real snow today (not sure but about 6" or so) - the first one is so much fun - it's gorgeous out there.

Oops - just watched the news - we got 11" and every year people have to learn how to drive in it all over again. The news showed all kinds of accidents. Glad I'm home.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Be safe, Umbria! I am glad you are home, too. Snow doesn't bother me but when it melts a bit and forms ice . . . when it gets packed . . . oh my.

And then there are the driveways that must be cleared.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Tumbling Down

Every year, we put wreaths on all the windows on the front. Big red ribbons . . . and candles at each windowsill. It's an all brick Georgian with a hipped roof so it looks quite "williamsburg" decked out this way.

I used to festoon garlands of pine entwined with twinkling white lights all around the back deck and another huge wreath centered on the railings, where others could enjoy it at night.

We have a grove of trees at the front of the property, and so I found 2 wire deer that I covered with white lights. Even my dog enjoys sitting and looking at the deer . . . "grazing" in between the trees.

It was so beautiful. I would look out the back and see the rest of the neighborhood through the woods - twinkling white lights on back decks . . . lovely wreaths embedded with thousands of tiny sparkling lights . . . and it always looked so magical.

This year, hubby got frustrated trying to find where he had packed the big wreath and lights for the back . . . so we skipped the deck decoration. He says he can't find the deer for the front of the house, but since he fussed about how "high maintenance" they were last season, I suspect he threw them away.

So no more deer.

And the wreaths keep falling down off the front of the house.

Don't ask me why - after 30 plus years of attaching wreaths to windows - that they suddenly have decided to tumble down to the ground. It is no small task attaching them (our windows are constructed strangely, I guess) . . . and having them fall down over and over is getting to be a real pain.

I am ready to take the remaining ones down and say "forget it." Son came and tried to ascertain why the wreaths weren't staying up, and he attempted to re-attach the ones that had fallen (and stabilize the wreaths still hanging) but hubby intervened, had a temper tantrum, and so we all just backed off.

This is my life now. Hubby's stamina diminishes . . . and instead of adjusting and letting others do the tasks (or hiring someone) he would rather eliminate or do it halfway and pretend there is no problem. He gets angry if confronted about it.

He wants to sell the house and move into some sort of patio/villa home so "someone else can take care of things." But of course, it really doesn't work that way. No one is going to take care of everything. Either he does it, I do it, or we must pay someone to do it. He won't give up control and I can't always do whatever "it" may be . . . so here we are . . .

He just had his 67th birthday. I know he didn't expect 67 to feel this way. I didn't expect it to look or feel like this, either.

But here we are.

Our tumble down life.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
We've simplified the light display over the years. A decade ago my hubby liked to climb up on the roof to put lights up, and he made a point of making everything perfect.

Now just looking at that photo makes me tired. No biggie, we let the young kids next door put on the big display. We've switched to multi-colored lights, and all we do is throw a few strings on the bushes and one string around the front door and call it a day. It used to take an entire weekend to hang the lights, now we do the whole thing in under 15 minutes. And that includes untangling. And it looks just as festive. Somewhere along the line I realized a few lights looks just as cheerful as a lot of lights.

The string around the front door isn't hung perfectly anymore, and you know what, it looks great. In fact, I like it better--the perfect line was fun, but there's something so cheerful about multi-colored lights pointing left and right and here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement