U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl
Anyone in a warm idyllic place who posts about it is banned.
Well, since we are discussing gardens, I'll continue. The Meyer lemon tree is loaded with blossoms and the smell is as good as the neighbor's jasmine hedge that is in bloom. Did I mention that while in NY last summer, DH was here in FL off and on through the summer? He came home with a present for me: he had picked the limes for me so I wouldn't miss them. We don't have a lime tree, he picked 6 green lemons for me. I had a few lemons left that he didn't harvest. I made some great lemon curd at Christmas with the few he left behind.
Our blood orange has blossoms this year, yay! I was worried it wasn't going to do anything. I planted a tumeric plant last week. My major plant excitement was finding my pineapple plant with a fruit on it a few weeks ago. Our son cut the top off of a pineapple last year, rooted it and gave it to me. I put it in a huge pot eventually and apparently it likes it.
Ok, no mention of weather here.

One happy pineapple:

Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

More on the way for us, and nonstop cold. I bet the Florida realtors are hopping.

But at least we finally got some rain!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
The mountains are covered with snow; they're beautiful. When I bought my place I realized I was paying for the view; it was worth it. I can see a panorama of about four miles from my living room windows.

Saturday was in a tie for the coldest day of the year here at -17. Right now it's 43. We're coming into our snow months now; April is the big one. We haven't had a June snow for several years. It will be almost three months until the American White Pelicans reach this place for the summer. A month later the prickly pears will be in bloom. The birds will only be on the river for a few days and then migrate to the lake east of here. The prickly pear blooms only last a few days. But these wondrous events are like Christmas. Our short time with them emphasizes how beautiful and wondrous they are and how fortunate we are to experience them. We have had more than 200% of our average snowfall and a great deal of it soaked into the ground. We may see greenery for a few weeks.

Every season has its own special benefits. Let's enjoy them all.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Quote:

More on the way for us, and nonstop cold. I bet the Florida realtors are hopping.
Well I guess I can post then

We had a near 60 degree drop in 24 hours yesterday.
Went from a beautiful 79 degrees to 25 degrees..brrrrr

Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Quote:
Your yard sounds pretty, post a pic.
When I downsized/cleaned out I gave my cameras away because I had stopped using them, LOL

Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One of the things I have really enjoyed about Facebook is being able to see the great differences in weather this winter as seen through the postings of friends and family nationwide.
My niece posted a picture of Lucy (from Charlie Brown) standing in a snowstorm.

Imprinted across Lucy in big red letters were the words "This Sucks"

(She's a cattle rancher in Montana, and it's calving season)

Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Well, since we are discussing gardens, I'll continue. The Meyer lemon tree is loaded with blossoms and the smell is as good as the neighbor's jasmine hedge that is in bloom.
I miss my night-blooming jessamine bushes.

I could grow it at the old house - about 50 miles to the west - but I've killed 3 plants trying at this location. Oh well, they were water-hogs anyway

Old 03-03-2014, 04:09 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The mountains are covered with snow; they're beautiful. When I bought my place I realized I was paying for the view; it was worth it. I can see a panorama of about four miles from my living room windows.
I have traveled to 40 of the 50 states, but unfortunately Wyoming is not one of them. It is near the very top of my list of places to visit. I have been to more than a score of National Parks, but the very best ones - Yellowstone and Grand Teton - I haven't seen yet. I also want to see the Devil's Tower in eastern WY. Who, having seen Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, would not die to see the Devil's Tower???

Old 03-03-2014, 06:30 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
The most beautiful thing I ever saw in my life was in Wyoming. It was a long time ago. Toward dusk, a blue mountain not too far away and a lone horse standing at its base.

That has always stayed in my mind along with two other beautiful views--anything at Cape Cod (of course I am biased) and a scene in the Swiss Alps.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
That's my limit too, three tries with a plant and I move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement