U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times

Advertisements

Happy Birthday, Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,480,998 times
Today was strange ... I felt tired all day. I got plenty of sleep last night - 8 1/2 hours which is about a full hour more than I usually require, but I found myself drinking coffee throughout the day (I had to work today). I'm not ill, don't have a headache or anything but I've just been yawning all day. I think my blood sugars must be either too low or too high (I have been having low glucose readings lately - in the 70's and 80's - and once in a blue moon I am hypoglycemic).

Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Today was strange ... I felt tired all day. I got plenty of sleep last night - 8 1/2 hours which is about a full hour more than I usually require, but I found myself drinking coffee throughout the day (I had to work today). I'm not ill, don't have a headache or anything but I've just been yawning all day. I think my blood sugars must be either too low or too high (I have been having low glucose readings lately - in the 70's and 80's - and once in a blue moon I am hypoglycemic).
I am much like so many suffering from the winter blues. Most days lately you could just about scrape me up off the pavement. I fall asleep at 3:00 pm while reading a book, I drag through supper and am in bed by 9:00 pm most nights, falling asleep to some of the liveliest TV shows. I sleep straight through to 7:00 a.m. and then linger in bed with the laptop for an hour.

I drag myself out of bed, look in the mirror , pop my omega 3's, vitamin D-3 and other lab-manufactured pills guaranteed to give perfect health, drink several cups of coffee, and plop back down on the couch with the laptop. By the time I'm ready to go out in public it's close to noon.

I suddenly realize I have to have lunch, so I do (nothing fancy, no energy to make it) and then plop back down next to the wood stove to prep myself for going out. I don all my heavy stuff and go out into iceland, nearly fall asleep while warming up the car, and then snap to when I put on my seatbelt and roll. Once I'm out I'm OK, but then back for the 3 o'clock shutdown. I have NEVER been like this. I just had my annual physical with blood tests and the results are all normal. Diagnosis: NE winter.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am much like so many suffering from the winter blues. Most days lately you could just about scrape me up off the pavement. I fall asleep at 3:00 pm while reading a book, I drag through supper and am in bed by 9:00 pm most nights, falling asleep to some of the liveliest TV shows. I sleep straight through to 7:00 a.m. and then linger in bed with the laptop for an hour.

I drag myself out of bed, look in the mirror , pop my omega 3's, vitamin D-3 and other lab-manufactured pills guaranteed to give perfect health, drink several cups of coffee, and plop back down on the couch with the laptop. By the time I'm ready to go out in public it's close to noon.

I suddenly realize I have to have lunch, so I do (nothing fancy, no energy to make it) and then plop back down next to the wood stove to prep myself for going out. I don all my heavy stuff and go out into iceland, nearly fall asleep while warming up the car, and then snap to when I put on my seatbelt and roll. Once I'm out I'm OK, but then back for the 3 o'clock shutdown. I have NEVER been like this. I just had my annual physical with blood tests and the results are all normal. Diagnosis: NE winter.
This "thing" has become quite catchy. I had to go to the Doc yesterday for BP check so I can get more meds and the Doc started talking about this very thing. She has had many patients coming to check to see what's wrong with them - results - nothing except this dam* winter. She was actually complaining - she never complains - not very professional and all that.

The good news: spring is almost here. More good news: you have the option to sleep it off or do whatever it takes. Can't imagine going into the office everyday with a bunch of gloomy and/or crabby people.

My energy level took a nose dive around 1/1/14. Winter blues - good term. My doc said: You don't seem like your usual self. Huh? Perhaps a mood elevator might help? I almost said yes. Hate all those drugs and I will be escaping soon to:

<drum roll> the beach, sand, seagulls, walks on the beach with my 2 fur brats.

I got my hair cut - she cut 6 inches - I haven't had hair that long since I was in college. The hair dresser said to just trim it - great hair. I thought: Are you nuts - I look like an old hag.

NEg & Clark P - Hang in there. Hope you both feel better. BTW - D3s are suppose to help.

Even my dogs are slumpin around here.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 AM

332 posts, read 432,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I have hostas in NY and love them as do the deer. One day they are tall and the flowers are waving in the wind, the next day it looks like a shear was taken to them. I have a very shady yard, so have sweet woodruff, trillium, jack in the pulpit, fern and othe woodland type plants. One sunny corner with cone flowers, Black-eyed Susan, spiderwort, a huge stand of bee balm, and a cold tolerant dwarf bamboo that is 6x6.
I've been looking at bamboos here in Fl, good grief, there are clumping ones that grow a hundred feet tall, I'm looking in the 25-40 foot range. I had no idea there were so many different ones.
I passed the plant/garden gene to my son and we love to spend an afternoon at the nurseries here.
Do you know the proper name for this 'cold-tolerant' bamboo one? Please say yes. I have an irrational lust for bamboo. There is a forest in Japan filled with GIANT bamboo. I want to live inside it.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
Hmmmmmmm........never thought I would succumb to winter depression, but I am a little crankier than I was in October. DH is suffering for sure, he cusses out the weatherman on TV every night.

LOL foglover, wanting to live in the giant bamboo forest

Old 03-05-2014, 06:28 AM

20,120 posts, read 20,237,163 times
On the bamboo......Google turns up different types that are cold tolerant but, trust me, do NOT get a running bamboo.
It is not only invasive but virtually impossible to get rid of without taking extraordinary measures.
This advise is from having had it brought onto the neighboring property in NYS. Not only was it cold tolerant, it was impervious to anything that tried to eradicate it.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 AM

20,316 posts, read 19,292,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
On the bamboo......Google turns up different types that are cold tolerant but, trust me, do NOT get a running bamboo.
It is not only invasive but virtually impossible to get rid of without taking extraordinary measures.
This advise is from having had it brought onto the neighboring property in NYS. Not only was it cold tolerant, it was impervious to anything that tried to eradicate it.
That's right. You can plant bamboo but you'll be sorry once it turns into a giant weed and spreads all over the place. That's what I was told when I was longing for beautiful bamboo. I do have a "lucky" bamboo plant in the house but that's all.

It's supposed to get up to 40 degrees on Friday. It's wrong to be excited about 40 degrees but it's all we have.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 AM

30,034 posts, read 35,217,378 times
Add me to the winter blues list . My acupuncturist says it is natural as the body slows down and consolidated energy to literally SPRING alive.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Add me to the winter blues list . My acupuncturist says it is natural as the body slows down and consolidated energy to literally SPRING alive.
That explains it - we're all a bunch of tulips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement