U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 AM

20,294 posts, read 19,278,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
That explains it - we're all a bunch of tulips.
I love it. There used to be a song--"I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch and I cry all day."

I don't know what that has to do with anything but it is SNOWING NOW and dark and gray, as usual. and COLD. Keeping warm with hot tea and not going out until I have to, in a few hours.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,420,386 times
Light snow. 18F, overcast. Blech. Low of -7F forecast tonight. Lalalalaaaaaa......stay warm, all.

OTOH on Friday it will get up to 35F and I just know I will see some fool in shorts and a tee shirt.

I remember years ago it was 33F on Christmas day. The sun was out and it felt so warm I washed my truck, by hand, with cold water.

(sorry if that is a repeat post, I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,467,932 times
The last pic says it all - even the bears are sick of this.

Juliet's Den Photos - UPDATE March 4, 2014

Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

OTOH on Friday it will get up to 35F and I just know I will see some fool in shorts and a tee shirt.

I remember years ago it was 33F on Christmas day. The sun was out and it felt so warm I washed my truck, by hand, with cold water.

(sorry if that is a repeat post, I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere.)
You are one tough cookie - if it had dropped to 32F the water bucker would have frozen.

People do the same thing here - they pull out the shorts & short sleeves when the temp gets to 40F - that's only in the winter/spring. In the fall they are freezing at 40F and pull out the down filled coats.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM

30,033 posts, read 35,209,088 times
Quote:
That explains it - we're all a bunch of tulips.
The analogy is valid in Chinese medicine. Sleep and let your body prepare

Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM

20,294 posts, read 19,278,484 times
In the north most, if not all of nature hibernates for winter. Question is: are we meant to live in the north and shut down for six months? Or are we meant to live in the south and keep going year round.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In the north most, if not all of nature hibernates for winter. Question is: are we meant to live in the north and shut down for six months? Or are we meant to live in the south and keep going year round.
Interesting point. I've always heard that the pace in the South is slower - perhaps to conserve energy since they are more active all year. The pace in the North is much faster - they only have to/are suppose to go for 6-9 months - less time to get it all in.

Realistically, the heat & humidity slows people down but maybe that was part of "the plan". People may not understand that they need to slow down so they get weather to force the issue.

OK, back to my den~~~

Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,420,386 times
LOL Umb, it was so warm I think I even got a bit of a sunburn. It had to have been warmer in the sun.

I was wearing long sleeves and a hoodie and rubber gloves, however.

Weren't we nomadic at some point and just kept moving, following the food supply?
Hmmmmmm okay back to my den

Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 PM

332 posts, read 432,543 times
it has begun to snow here. this is good. a respite from the frigid temps. still, hoping I don't have to get the snowblower out; lazy, ayuh

I guess I am fortunate that even tho I am a depressive I do not get cabin fever. I am so happy to have a cabin... 'in my own little corner, in my own little room...'

Oh I know all about the dangers of some species of bamboo, however some are not invasive and the cold inhibits them even further.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,003,736 times
Quote:
Interesting point. I've always heard that the pace in the South is slower - perhaps to conserve energy since they are more active all year. The pace in the North is much faster - they only have to/are suppose to go for 6-9 months - less time to get it all in.

Realistically, the heat & humidity slows people down but maybe that was part of "the plan". People may not understand that they need to slow down so they get weather to force the issue.

OK, back to my den~~~
It is so hot and humid day in and day out for nearly 7 months in south Florida! No one moves fast from May through October! Ich!!! I want out of the endless heat. I've been down here 40+ years and looking forward to retiring to a place with 4 seasons. Weird, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement