U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 05:27 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just woke up from my 3:00 p.m. nap in time to miss tai chi. I couldn't go out the door if you paid me. The air heavy with the thought of snow, grey, freezing, and I'm back under the afghan where I belong.
Tis ok and natural.

https://www.acufinder.com/Acupunctur...inese+Medicine

Quote:
Winter is ruled by the Water element, which is associated with the kidneys, bladder and adrenal glands. According to the philosophy of Chinese medicine, the kidneys are considered the source of all energy or Qi within the body. They store all of the reserve Qi in the body so that it can be used in times of stress and change, or to heal, prevent illness, and age gracefully.

During the winter months it is important to nurture and nourish our kidney Qi. It is the time where this energy can be most easily depleted. Our bodies are instinctively expressing the fundamental principles of winter rest, reflection, conservation and storage.

The Nei Ching, an ancient Chinese classic, advised people to go to sleep early and rise late, after the sun's rays have warmed the atmosphere a bit. This preserves your own Yang Qi for the task of warming in the face of cold.

Eating warm hearty soups, whole grains, and roasted nuts help to warm the bodys core and to keep us nourished. Sleep early, rest well, stay warm, and expend a minimum quantity of energy.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wonderful. So I don't have to exercise. Love it.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wonderful. So I don't have to exercise. Love it.
Consider the. 24 hour body clock and perhaps another time of day

Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Unb, my Mom had one of those and she had to sit in front of an air conditioner for days because it burned so badly. The price of taking ten years off........

negirl, I'm with you, hibernate until Memorial Day. Okay, back to the den

Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 AM

Skin care is very important for men and women especially in the sun and that includes during the Winter.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Unb, my Mom had one of those and she had to sit in front of an air conditioner for days because it burned so badly. The price of taking ten years off........

negirl, I'm with you, hibernate until Memorial Day. Okay, back to the den
CCc - I saw an episode of Sex in the City where Samantha had a chem peel and her face looked like raw meat. I was assured that would not be the case since I was getting a light peel. I am going to the beach in less than 2 weeks and can't stay out of the sun. No pain here.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
Quote:
foglover:
Do you know the proper name for this 'cold-tolerant' bamboo one? Please say yes. I have an irrational lust for bamboo. There is a forest in Japan filled with GIANT bamboo. I want to live inside it.
I have the plant label in NY, so can't help with that specific one. There are many cold hardy varieties, I needed a dwarf for my postage stamp yard in NY. Look for clumping varieties and buy from a good nursery, I wouldn't trust labeling in the big box stores and risk inadvertent buying a running type. Become educated about bamboo and learn what will work for your climate and space, Bamboo is too beautiful of a plant to miss out on.

I've been bitten hard too, I bought two different ones the other day and am thinking about a third. I went to a local nursery here in FL that has mature stands of bamboo and I could see how they actually look full grown. Oh, the colors, sizes and shapes, I was in my element!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Skin care is very important for men and women especially in the sun and that includes during the Winter.
Yes - and she said even indoors where there are lights on, such as in an office. Damage is being done in those cases as well.

Nice that men are stepping up and recognizing the importance - makes it easier for us.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 AM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
I just had a hunk of meat taken off my back. It was precancerous but the biopsy for the larger amount (he initially took a small amount) showed he had gotten it all. My doc told me that this could be the result of sunburn when I was eight years old. So if you haven't done this previously go to a dermatologist for a checkup. I went because a hospitalist had noticed something when I had hip surgery.

My doc uses a dermascope. Be sure that yours does too. Mine is apparently rather thorough as he found almost as many melanomas last year as six docs in Billings found combined. He also gave me his home number and cell phone numbers in case I experienced hemhorraging.

For the time being, have a cup of coffee (or a pot).

Risk of Basal Cell Skin Cancer Reduced By Drinking Coffee | Healthy Living

Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I have the plant label in NY, so can't help with that specific one. There are many cold hardy varieties, I needed a dwarf for my postage stamp yard in NY. Look for clumping varieties and buy from a good nursery, I wouldn't trust labeling in the big box stores and risk inadvertent buying a running type. Become educated about bamboo and learn what will work for your climate and space, Bamboo is too beautiful of a plant to miss out on.

I've been bitten hard too, I bought two different ones the other day and am thinking about a third. I went to a local nursery here in FL that has mature stands of bamboo and I could see how they actually look full grown. Oh, the colors, sizes and shapes, I was in my element!
In the North, with the most cold-tolerant varieties (to -10 degrees), is bamboo deciduous (lose its leaves) in winter, or does it maintain its foliage even in the worst cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement