U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 06:43 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Zugor, I hope your haircut brings warmth but it won't be for us we might make it to 40F if the sun ever appears, snow showers in a few hours. Tomorrow's high in the upper twenties.

That's a great story about the bike and build, first I've heard of it

BJW50 your post made me cringe and smile at the same time :~)

Too bad about your rain delay TuborgP, you must be a real fan to get up that early

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.........

Old 03-22-2014, 07:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
You can let the natives teach you how to cope with the heat

I was here before air conditioning was the norm. I don't like to be sealed up indoors either. You get up early and work outdoors, have a bath and nap or read in the afternoon. Go out late to supper (no early bird specials).

Open up the house at night and run the fans. Keep the blinds closed on sunny windows. You soon develop a seasonal routine of opening and closing drapes and blinds to keep out the heat, let in the sun, etc..... probably much the same as you all do in the north to keep out the cold.

Young(er) people think window coverings are for decoration and control indoor climate with the thermostat

You plan shopping trips and outings so that you are not out in the heat of the day. Movie theaters and libraries are great places for spending hot afternoons.

You move a little slower..... that one seems to be hard for people from cooler climes to embrace. We are not lazy. We have adapted.
Well, truth to tell, it gets danged hot and humid here in Western New England as well. I often wonder whether it's really any better here than it is in the South in summer, but I think that here the brutal stretches are shorter, as is the summer season. OTOH, some years we barely get a spring. It goes from cold right into a heatwave. June can be particularly sticky, July as well, with August hot and dry. Northern NE may be a lot better in summer. I am in a valley, so that doesn't help (allergy-wise too).

Old 03-22-2014, 07:30 AM

2,635 posts, read 5,008,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, truth to tell, it gets danged hot and humid here in Western New England as well. I often wonder whether it's really any better here than it is in the South in summer, but I think that here the brutal stretches are shorter, as is the summer season. OTOH, some years we barely get a spring. It goes from cold right into a heatwave. June can be particularly sticky, July as well, with August hot and dry. Northern NE may be a lot better in summer. I am in a valley, so that doesn't help (allergy-wise too).
In south Florida, it is hot and humid from Mid-May through October. No cold fronts, no cool nights. Night temperatures are between 78 and 83 for a LOW. Daytime temps are 88 to 93 every damn day. Air conditioning is a must here.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:54 AM

2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have never understood why anyone keeps a profile private. It reeks of paranoia with delusions of grandeur or maybe just plain old delusions of grandeur without any paranoia.
Some people have pictures/albums in their profile that they only want their friends to see. Additionally, some women who have profile pics get unwanted attention from some of the men on C-D...hence, the choice to keep a private profile.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
In south Florida, it is hot and humid from Mid-May through October. No cold fronts, no cool nights. Night temperatures are between 78 and 83 for a LOW. Daytime temps are 88 to 93 every damn day. Air conditioning is a must here.
It's humidity, not heat that makes FL somewhat uncomfortable.
I lived in FL and now central Texas.

Texas gets hotter temperature wise (100 degrees) but the humidity is low compared to Florida (60%).
When you go under shade in Texas you really do feel cooler.
In Florida the only escape is indoors with AC.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:15 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I know, I lived down there from 7 through 29. Grew up in Hollywood. Went to High School in Fort Lauderdale. Went to college in Boca Raton. Lived in three or four different Miami neighborhoods as a young adult.

I have a love/hate relationship with South Florida.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Every year we go back north by mid-may and it is still too damn cold.
We're planning to try staying until toward the end of the month but I do remember that we get a "gotta get out of here" attitude before mid-month.
Ordinarily it wouldn't matter...we just leave when we leave. But the husband no longer feels he can make the trip by car so we'll have to make plane reservations.
Which will be worse, the heat or the cold?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Don't worry, he'll get his when it reaches 100 with 100% humidity.
It may surprise you (and others) to learn that 100 degree temps do not happen down here.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM

2,635 posts, read 5,008,229 times
We do get 93 with about 70% humidity. Dewpoint is more important, though. During our very looooooong summers, the dewpoint doesn't ever, never go below 70 and during stormy weather, it can be 78.

Often in the evenings and early mornings, it is 95 to 100% humidity.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:24 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
This makes no sense:

We usually get 3-5 days of above 100F plus dew point in the high 70s~~do I need to mention our winters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement