U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You would hate Carolina summers
I have to agree on that one. I grew up here and so I never thought too much about it. We all spent as much time in the mountains as possible during the summer to escape the heat/humidity. Without A/C (growing up) it could get pretty miserable outside the cooler temps of the mountains.

Now that A/C is standard in most homes . . . I don't think about the hot humid summers very often. Yes, it can get miserable being outside with such high humidity, but I learned as a child to spray (or splash) myself down with water, wear cotton clothing, a sunhat of some sort, sunglasses . . . and carry a hankie to pat any perspiration off my decollete area, lololol.

Southern girls don't sweat . . . we glisten.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have to agree on that one. I grew up here and so I never thought too much about it. We all spent as much time in the mountains as possible during the summer to escape the heat/humidity. Without A/C (growing up) it could get pretty miserable outside the cooler temps of the mountains.

Now that A/C is standard in most homes . . . I don't think about the hot humid summers very often. Yes, it can get miserable being outside with such high humidity, but I learned as a child to spray (or splash) myself down with water, wear cotton clothing, a sunhat of some sort, sunglasses . . . and carry a hankie to pat any perspiration off my decollete area, lololol.

Your first sentence says it all. Air conditioning!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I would talk and walk slowly too if I were Southern. After my visits there I can see why!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM

19,597 posts, read 21,091,913 times
Love the old Garrison Keillor Lake Woebegone story where he describes the local priest (a Civil War buff, living in Minnesota, whose hobby was visiting old battlefields) being slowly converted to the Confederate cause by his annual interaction with Southern waitresses: "Well, hah theah, hunny. Kin ah get you some mo of that shoe flah pah?"

Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
I believe shoo fly pie is Pennsylvania Dutch, lol. I have heard folks refer to shoo fly pie as Southern, but I am as Southern as it gets and I have never known anyone who made Shoo Fly Pie except my Pennsylvania Dutch Aunt by marriage. I have asked people for years if they have a clue why so many seem to think it is Southern and no one I know has even had any, much less made it.

I had mine while visiting in the Philly area as a child.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Indeed! Shoo Fly Pie is Pennsylvania Dutch ... not southern. The best place to get it is in Lancaster County in towns like Intercourse, Blue Ball, and Bird-In-Hand.

Pecan Pie - now, that's southern! But I seem to remember, growing up in Florida (the least southern of the former Confederate States), that Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie was wonderful.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 AM

19,597 posts, read 21,091,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Indeed! Shoo Fly Pie is Pennsylvania Dutch ... not southern. The best place to get it is in Lancaster County in towns like Intercourse, Blue Ball, and Bird-In-Hand.

Pecan Pie - now, that's southern! But I seem to remember, growing up in Florida (the least southern of the former Confederate States), that Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie was wonderful.
Y'all are right. Ah got mah shoe-flah mixed up with key lahm. Or somethin'.

And in your listing of Lancaster County towns, you forgot Reamsville, Mount Joy, and Paradise.

Yeledaf, Proud Damnyankee

Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
I went to college in Pennsylvania Dutch Country better known as Amish country

Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I got intrigued by the idea of trying an experiment, so I decided to see what would happen if a regular poster like me didn't start any threads for a set period of time. Would the forum change? Would more people feel they were welcome to start threads if a regular person wasn't always starting them? Would all the threads start focusing on momentous topics or be the same sort of topics that the regulars posted on?
As an FYI for those who enjoy social experiments, I'm just past the 3-month point of this experiment now. It turned out to be easier than I would have guessed. Considering that I had been in the habit of starting threads every day for more than 5 years, I was surprised how easy it was to stop. I thought I'd go through some sort of withdrawal or something, but it was a breeze.

Conclusions:

1) I guess for all that we joke that city-data is addictive, it really isn't. Which is good to know.

2) It was kind of fun to stop for a few months. It'll be fun to get back into the thread starting routine, but sometimes it's good to break a routine.

3) After 3 months I see the forum is bopping along the same as it always has. Since there was no marked change, I conclude that it makes no difference whether threads are started by new people or by regular posters. More importantly, I see no evidence that threads started by regular posters are in any way harmful to our forum. It was intersting to note that no matter who starts new threads, over a 3-month period the topics remain very similar.

Just thought you guys might find this interesting. My experiment ends in January, and after that I'm plunging back into starting threads again. I do enjoy bringing up topics. But from time to time I may mix it up and take another break from it. It's good to know that other people will step in and start new topics even when the regulars take a break from it for awhile.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Caladium - go ahead, start one now Actually, it's been dragging lately. Could be the time of year or the recent event in CT or maybe~~~we need someone to shake things up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement