U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 05:25 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
CCc, I know both places. I've been to Lake George a few times (loved driving up that mountain toll road to the top where you get to see glorious views!). I remember always staying in Glens Falls because the hotel/motel prices were so much cheaper than staying in Lake George itself. One unforgettable memory was spending the day in the "Roosevelt Baths" in Saratoga Springs.

My older brother and his wife live in a small town just north of Tampa. Does Ocala still have a lot of horse Farms?
Ah, that would be the drive up to Prospect Mountain. Great views.

Yep, Ocala is still the horse capital of Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We're north of West Point in NY and near Venice in FL. Heaven of course is very subjective, but I honestly like both locations and am happy on both. Grandkids are the tipping point for us.
Nice areas both

Another big storm is going to hammer New England, we will be spared. Sorry in_ne and negirl

Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 20,246,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Sleep on 1/2 of the bed and then switch - you'll only wash 1/2 as much See how bright I am this early in the a.m..
If I follow up with your idea I could probably manage do switch places 3 times...one side, the other and middle!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Another big storm is going to hammer New England, we will be spared. Sorry in_ne and negirl
Yes, tomorrow. I've packed away my boots and winter clothing and I knew I was doing it way too soon. I packed the ice scrapers in with the emergency equipment bag that I keep at hand, so I can dig those out. The shovel handle broke in early March and the snowblower is chugging out plumes of grey smoke (all from this one winter). I think I'm going to crash in on Umbria in coastal NC, as this may never end.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,304,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes, tomorrow. I've packed away my boots and winter clothing and I knew I was doing it way too soon. I packed the ice scrapers in with the emergency equipment bag that I keep at hand, so I can dig those out. The shovel handle broke in early March and the snowblower is chugging out plumes of grey smoke (all from this one winter). I think I'm going to crash in on Umbria in coastal NC, as this may never end.
Snow shovel was packed away last week. If there are reports of this storm coming anywhere near this area, I'm packing up, dog and all and going to the Best Western that takes pets and has a jacuzzi and a warm pool. Senior discount, you know.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Snow shovel was packed away last week. If there are reports of this storm coming anywhere near this area, I'm packing up, dog and all and going to the Best Western that takes pets and has a jacuzzi and a warm pool. Senior discount, you know.
Just had an idea for a cartoon of a bunch of frozen seniors meeting up at a Best Western...need a punchline.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just had an idea for a cartoon of a bunch of frozen seniors meeting up at a Best Western...need a punchline.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something on this idea? "Thawed Out." That's my contribution. I'm obviously not a writer.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,482,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something on this idea? "Thawed Out." That's my contribution. I'm obviously not a writer.
Looks like a great movie. From the description I see a lot of the film shooting was done in Jaipur, India ... one of my favorite places. It's in the state of Rajastan, arguably the colorful and interesting part of India. Jaipur is called "the pink city" because most of the houses are painted pink! Not too far away is Jodhpur, "the blue city" because most of the houses are painted some shade of sky blue! Then there is Udaipur - "the white city" (I had dinner in a maharaja's palace situated on an island in the middle of a large lake) and there's another city called "the gold city" where all the buildings are painted shade of amber and mustard (didn't get to visit that one). Rajastan is the only place I know of where the cities have color themes!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Looks like a great movie. From the description I see a lot of the film shooting was done in Jaipur, India ... one of my favorite places. It's in the state of Rajastan, arguably the colorful and interesting part of India. Jaipur is called "the pink city" because most of the houses are painted pink! Not too far away is Jodhpur, "the blue city" because most of the houses are painted some shade of sky blue! Then there is Udaipur - "the white city" (I had dinner in a maharaja's palace situated on an island in the middle of a large lake) and there's another city called "the gold city" where all the buildings are painted shade of amber and mustard (didn't get to visit that one). Rajastan is the only place I know of where the cities have color themes!!!
Have seen it twice - it's an excellent movie

Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have seen it twice - it's an excellent movie
I would like to see it. I haven't been to a movie in years.

India has always sounded like a dream place to visit but I know I'll never get there. I used to read about it. A friend did get to go there and she had her daughter with her. Her daughter was afraid of one thing: seeing a snake charmer. But they reassured her so she went. What was the first thing she saw? You guessed it!

Clark, you have been everywhere. I'm jealous.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
in_ne and negirl, maybe if you brought a covered dish you could ride out the storm in Philly with Officer Clark.......

Love the idea of going to a motel, be sure they have a standby generator, wind gusts on the Cape to exceed 65MPH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement