U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

re: Dental

My friend a dental hygienist of 30 yrs warns against root canals (she can't say this too loudly or she'll lose her job). Her dad was a dentist and she has access to research on the negative affects on health of canals. She recommends not flossing (again, she says this privately, as her boss would have a fit) as it pushes bacteria further into our gums. The hydrofloss uses a water stream between the teeth to remove plaque but the key is to use it after every meal. She also says that her elderly patients who use good old-fashioned skinny toothpicks every day have the best teeth and the least plaque. And brushing with alkalizing baking soda instead of commercial toothpaste. And stimulating the gums around the teeth with massage.

Of course diet (sugars of all kinds, refined carbs, too much dairy) cause plaque, according to her research. It's almost common knowledge that our teeth are related to heart health. My dad had a stroke not long after having an untreated tooth infection, and though it cannot be proved, I often wonder.

Since I've been following her protocol my dentist is impressed (I don't tell her my regime).

 
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM
 
38 posts, read 34,524 times
Reputation: 69
Default Chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
re: Dental

My friend a dental hygienist of 30 yrs warns against root canals (she can't say this too loudly or she'll lose her job). Her dad was a dentist and she has access to research on the negative affects on health of canals. She recommends not flossing (again, she says this privately, as her boss would have a fit) as it pushes bacteria further into our gums. The hydrofloss uses a water stream between the teeth to remove plaque but the key is to use it after every meal. She also says that her elderly patients who use good old-fashioned skinny toothpicks every day have the best teeth and the least plaque. And brushing with alkalizing baking soda instead of commercial toothpaste. And stimulating the gums around the teeth with massage.

Of course diet (sugars of all kinds, refined carbs, too much dairy) cause plaque, according to her research. It's almost common knowledge that our teeth are related to heart health. My dad had a stroke not long after having an untreated tooth infection, and though it cannot be proved, I often wonder.

Since I've been following her protocol my dentist is impressed (I don't tell her my regime).
Your friend's dental hygienist is quite eccentric. We all have access to ALL research...not only dentists. I have a master's degree in dental hygiene and have been a hygienist and educator for over 30 years. Let's address your friend's concerns:

There is danger in leaving infection in the body due to NOT having a root canal. THAT can affect the heart.

Flossing does NOT PUSH bacteria further into our gums...it scrapes it off.

People who use toothpicks do NOT have the best teeth and least plaque. All they do is pick out the food...and leave the bacteria behind. Additionally, they blunt the papilla in between the teeth.

Brushing with alkalizing baking soda is fine (as long as you are not on a sodium-restricted diet)...but research shows it does no better job at removing plaque or preventing decay and periodontal disease than regular toothpaste.

Stimulating the gums does not mean taking your finger or brush and brushing the outside of the gums...it means sweeping the bristles under the gumline with a soft brush to remove the hidden bacteria. If stimulating inflammation is so effective, why don't we massage infected cuts on our skin?

Sounds like your friend went to a two-year technical college and thus, learned nothing about how to interpret research.

If your friend were to be reported to her state licensing board for educating patients with this kind of information, she would no doubt have her license suspended..Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-31-2014 at 10:37 AM..
 
Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Swestey, thanks for your reply and I respect your expertise. I know this is anecdotal, so I'm not proposing that what my friend told me is "science." She follows the standard ADA protocol in her job, as she is a professional. She does not publicly espouse what she believes from her experience on the job. Of course, the ADA also actively promotes sodium fluoride (artificial fluoride) in drinking supplies, toothpaste, etc so I'm not taking the ADA as gospel either.

I can say without a doubt that my teeth and gum disease have improved immensely since following her advice. My dentist was urging deep scaling down the road and now the gums have so improved that it's doubtful I need it. The massage brings circulation to the gums and I no longer have gum bleeding. The receding has halted. So, we do whatever works, balancing industry protocol with personal approach. When I left the office last time my dentist said I'll have my teeth for life, what a relief!
 
Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Swestey, thanks for your reply and I respect your expertise. I know this is anecdotal, so I'm not proposing that what my friend told me is "science." She follows the standard ADA protocol in her job, as she is a professional. She does not publicly espouse what she believes from her experience on the job. Of course, the ADA also actively promotes sodium fluoride (artificial fluoride) in drinking supplies, toothpaste, etc so I'm not taking the ADA as gospel either.

I can say without a doubt that my teeth and gum disease have improved immensely since following her advice. My dentist was urging deep scaling down the road and now the gums have so improved that it's doubtful I need it. The massage brings circulation to the gums and I no longer have gum bleeding. The receding has halted. So, we do whatever works, balancing industry protocol with personal approach. When I left the office last time my dentist said I'll have my teeth for life, what a relief!
I was told I needed peridontal (sp?) treatment (scaling) years ago . . . and I started researching everything I could about dental health and what alternatives there were to accepted regimen.


Salt water rinses are one of the best things we can do to help eliminate gum disease.

I floss.

I swish coconut oil around in my mouth for 1 min. every day after brushing and using a salt water rinse.

I have switched to a tea tree oil toothpaste.

Flouride is poison.

Root canals can be very dangerous and bacteria can be left in the tooth/jaw.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Default In praise of moderators

Yes, I have run afoul of moderators two or three times in my four years here, but overall I have always appreciated the level of moderation on City-Data. Two cases in point:

1. About a week ago I sent a direct message to the moderator of the History Forum to thank her for cleaning up a problematic thread, commenting that it must have been a big job. Here is part of the response I got from that moderator: "Thanks so much for your message.....This is a difficult and thankless job 99.9% of the time, so your words mean a lot....."

2. Right here in the Retirement Forum, an insulting personal attack which I reported was taken down in less than 12 hours. That kind of prompt action prevents things from deteriorating into flame wars.

I especially wanted to share the moderator's comment which I quoted above because it helps us see things from a moderator's point of view. They are, after all, volunteers; and it is thanks to them that City-Data is a decent and enjoyable place to be.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I was told I needed peridontal (sp?) treatment (scaling) years ago . . . and I started researching everything I could about dental health and what alternatives there were to accepted regimen.


Salt water rinses are one of the best things we can do to help eliminate gum disease.

I floss.

I swish coconut oil around in my mouth for 1 min. every day after brushing and using a salt water rinse.

I have switched to a tea tree oil toothpaste.

Flouride is poison.

Root canals can be very dangerous and bacteria can be left in the tooth/jaw.
I have done the research too and came up with some of the same conclusions. There are toothpastes that do not contain flouride but I need to get a home water filter once again to get the flouride out of the drinking water.

I have a lot of root canals but they were done against my better judgement as I had heard so many negative things. I use an electric toothbrush that has two brushes--one just goes back and forth and the other one goes around. They say this is the best kind and that you need to use it in a diagonal slant on your gums.

I wonder about flossing and if it does push stuff into the gums but it does seem to clean the sides of the teeth at least. The coconut oil is something that people have been posting about in Alternative Medicine and it's probably something to check out. I think that's called oil pulling. At the very least, it makes the mouth feel clean.

Baking soda is a good tooth cleaner but it will wear the enamel off the teeth because it is so abrasive. Maybe it's okay to use it once in a while though. I like how it makes my mouth feel clean.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Great tips on dental care, y'all. I must check out salt water rinse.

Fog, I can totally relate, DH is a fearful dental patient. And I flew without Novocaine for years until my Mom told me to man up and get the needle. Best thing I ever did, had some old veneer redone last year and it went quick with no pain, they turned out great.

Chilly 44F and partly sunny, we had icing overnight which has melted, so glad I got hat sand the other day.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
A meager but welcome sign of spring on this dark rainy day--the neighbors' ***** willows are out!!!!!!! If it ever stops raining I'm going to cut some to bring inside. (They spread so much that the branches protrude into our yard and the neighbors don't care.)
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Yes, I have run afoul of moderators two or three times in my four years here, but overall I have always appreciated the level of moderation on City-Data. Two cases in point:

1. About a week ago I sent a direct message to the moderator of the History Forum to thank her for cleaning up a problematic thread, commenting that it must have been a big job. Here is part of the response I got from that moderator: "Thanks so much for your message.....This is a difficult and thankless job 99.9% of the time, so your words mean a lot....."

2. Right here in the Retirement Forum, an insulting personal attack which I reported was taken down in less than 12 hours. That kind of prompt action prevents things from deteriorating into flame wars.

I especially wanted to share the moderator's comment which I quoted above because it helps us see things from a moderator's point of view. They are, after all, volunteers; and it is thanks to them that City-Data is a decent and enjoyable place to be.
Great moment to appreciate the mods and good that you're saying so. They're always looking out for disrespectful comments and have to solve some tough issues....all on volunteer time. Not sure I'd have the patience and tact for it!
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A meager but welcome sign of spring on this dark rainy day--the neighbors' ***** willows are out!!!!!!! If it ever stops raining I'm going to cut some to bring inside. (They spread so much that the branches protrude into our yard and the neighbors don't care.)
Hey--the obscenity filter is working.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top