U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 AM

8,762 posts, read 9,835,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm surprised too, although labs are notorious for claiming that they are starving even while they are burping after just having finished a meal. Seniors, yes, Zack, the 80 lb. black lab will be 14 in August and Calypso, the 45 lb chocolate lab just turned 10 last week. I did have one dog who in the last 6 months of his life had rather severe dementia, got "lost" if he wandered in to the corner of the room and got stuck, etc but I don't think that even he forgot about eating.

This afternoon I put in application to adopt another senior black lab from a lab rescue group in NC. He's only 7, a veritable pup who would hopefully be with me for a number of years.

ps: I did remember to feed the dogs this evening.
Speaking of remembering things...I think I need a keeper! I had senior brain fart moment yesterday morning when I decided I needed to clean my coffee maker. I got it ready, poured in the vinegar, hit the start button and walked away. I had forgotten to put the coffee pot back on the burner! Needless to say I had a counter full of vinegar but luckily it's great for cleaning so...

Later on in the day I decided to go wash my car and this produced senior brain fart #2. I pulled up, put my money in the slot and then pulled forward, as instructed, till the light turned red. Instantly I got hit with a wall of water because I forgot to put the window back up! I was soaked from my neck to my knees. lol

Yeah, I really think I need a keeper...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 AM

20,316 posts, read 19,292,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Speaking of remembering things...I think I need a keeper! I had senior brain fart moment yesterday morning when I decided I needed to clean my coffee maker. I got it ready, poured in the vinegar, hit the start button and walked away. I had forgotten to put the coffee pot back on the burner! Needless to say I had a counter full of vinegar but luckily it's great for cleaning so...

Later on in the day I decided to go wash my car and this produced senior brain fart #2. I pulled up, put my money in the slot and then pulled forward, as instructed, till the light turned red. Instantly I got hit with a wall of water because I forgot to put the window back up! I was soaked from my neck to my knees. lol

Oh, how cute.

Those are things I would have done with I was thirty. I'm so easily distracted. Even now I'll be driving along and I'll see a beautiful tree or a nice dog being walked and I'll practically forget where I'm headed. I did the car wash with the window still down ages ago.

Spacey maybe?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 AM

5,427 posts, read 6,642,044 times
Quote:

AZ

As one diagnosed with MCI at 48, let me reassure you that we all worry about this and wonder about these little things. And we all do stuff we shake our heads about.

Question for you: is this new behavior? or have you known yourself to be spacey and easily distracted?

If it is new behavior, a change, or an increased frequency maybe you should see a neurologist. Are you stressed or worried about something? There can be a lot going on physically that can cause these events.

If it is something you have often done in the past? Do you have a lot on your plate and is it getting to be time to dial back some things? Do you need to make lists, or just slow down?

And then it can be just normal aging (pluck those grey eyebrows time). Be cool and give yourself a pass unless you need to go to a neuro. Then do so.

Wish you luck, and as one who has been in those shoes - be easy on yourself. things happen.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh, how cute.

Those are things I would have done with I was thirty. I'm so easily distracted. Even now I'll be driving along and I'll see a beautiful tree or a nice dog being walked and I'll practically forget where I'm headed. I did the car wash with the window still down ages ago.

Spacey maybe?
I know I had a lot on my mind because I wanted to get on the road, over the mountain, to Prescott. Before that I had stopped at the bank ATM and it wouldn't give me my money. Had to go inside to do that and they spent ten minutes on the phone verifying that my card was okay. It was their machine. After those two things I was sorely tempted to go home and forget about Prescott! I figured my clothes would dry on the drive over and they did. I just thought it was all pretty funny and am still laughing about it.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
AZ

As one diagnosed with MCI at 48, let me reassure you that we all worry about this and wonder about these little things. And we all do stuff we shake our heads about.

Question for you: is this new behavior? or have you known yourself to be spacey and easily distracted?

If it is new behavior, a change, or an increased frequency maybe you should see a neurologist. Are you stressed or worried about something? There can be a lot going on physically that can cause these events.

If it is something you have often done in the past? Do you have a lot on your plate and is it getting to be time to dial back some things? Do you need to make lists, or just slow down?

And then it can be just normal aging (pluck those grey eyebrows time). Be cool and give yourself a pass unless you need to go to a neuro. Then do so.

Wish you luck, and as one who has been in those shoes - be easy on yourself. things happen.
These things are definitely not every day happenings. The only reason I posted them here was because I thought they were funny and might give my friends here a laugh. I know it did me! lol Don't worry about my mental health. I'm really quite okay. Just had a lot on my mind. And no I'm not "spacey" or "easily distracted".

Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 AM

5,427 posts, read 6,642,044 times
Well, I am glad you are doing well. And this was to just share a funny moment with friends.

Rest assured, I did not mean 'mental health' at all and do not wish to come across as suggesting that.

I meant physical health and there could be any number of reasons a synapse doesn't napse or a nerve seizes in part of the brain. And who knows why they do that or don't.

So if this does become worrisome to you, a good neurologist can help a lot.

Good luck and glad your day went better.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,480,998 times
Quote:

I went to my 55+ Men's social group this afternoon.

We mostly talked about the banality of misplacing keys, wallets, eye glasses. Most of us agree, that unlike our younger days, we have to make a ritual of setting these things in particular place every night before retiring ... such as on the dresser or in a special night stand drawer.

Ever run around frantically looking for a pair of glasses, only to discover they are on your head???

Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
[quote=Clark Park;34315104
Ever run around frantically looking for a pair of glasses, only to discover they are on your head??? [/QUOTE]

I can one-up you. I have the rather sloppy habit of hooking my eyeglasses onto my collar (I know...) and more than once have had both pairs that I own hooked on my collar at the same time (not knowing it) while looking all over the house for them. While teaching a class today I had one pair on and the other in my hand, about to put them on. It's bad.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 PM

20,316 posts, read 19,292,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I went to my 55+ Men's social group this afternoon.

We mostly talked about the banality of misplacing keys, wallets, eye glasses. Most of us agree, that unlike our younger days, we have to make a ritual of setting these things in particular place every night before retiring ... such as on the dresser or in a special night stand drawer.

Ever run around frantically looking for a pair of glasses, only to discover they are on your head???
A men's group. I wish we had something like that around here.

I think the reason I rarely lose anything is that I know I am easily distracted and I have always had to compensate for it. Like the time when I was first married in the olden days You know, what they still delivered milk in bottles? I was getting ready for work and stepped outside the apartment door into the hallway to bring the milk in. Slam. And I was in the hallway in my nightie.

Ever since that morning I will not leave the house without my keys in the right hand. There's always the change that you forgot to UNlock the door and it will slam on you, locking you out.

AzDesertBrat, you had a lot on your mind that day! Yikes. When there's so much happening at once, you end up getting all stressed out and nutty. All you can do is laugh!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 AM

3,759 posts, read 4,272,022 times
Quote:

What a coincidence! The same day you suffered from brain farts I drove through a red light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement