U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
just two blocks from my home was a magnolia tree in the front yard of a large old Victorian mansion in full bloom. I never saw a magnolia as big as this ... at least 40 or 50 feet tall, as tall as the four story house itself, with an impressive canopy completely covered with orchid-pink tinged white blossoms. The very breeze was perfumed with it's gorgeous scent.
What a lovely balm after this long and difficult winter. I can see and smell it. (:

Old 04-13-2014, 06:22 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Nothing blooming here, it's raining and mid forties. Snowbanks are still holding on. It will be interesting if we warm up into the seventies as predicted. Enjoy your blooms, all!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:53 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,298,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Nothing blooming here, it's raining and mid forties. Snowbanks are still holding on. It will be interesting if we warm up into the seventies as predicted. Enjoy your blooms, all!
STILL? It even warmed up yesterday in this far off outpost of civilization and miserable weather. I saw forsythia starting.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:58 PM

332 posts, read 432,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Gee, not here in Scotia - bright sunshine revealing all the yard work that needs to be done. Why does this happen every year - it goes from being cold and/or rainy to being too hot for me to work outside. High 70's is actually too much for me to work in for very long. I knew that as soon as everyone else stopped whining about the cold, I'd start whining about the heat. Sheesh.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:31 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,221,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, wow - that sounds like HEAVEN!

Beautiful weather in the mountains today . . . everyone and his/her dog and best friend is out and about today, lol. It is as though the floodgates were opened and people are pouring out into the daylight!!!!
Too much congestion for me . . . so I retreated back home and decided to do the laundry -- and read for a while outside.

We are going to have a hard freeze two nights this coming week, but for all "practical purposes," SPRING IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!

Enjoy your day, Tuborg!!!
Still awesome weather but as you note in the thirties Wednesday night.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
I really enjoyed my weekend.

And I am going to remember the weekend when it starts snowing here again tonite/tomorrow/wednesday/whenever.

Yes, cold, windy and dreary (no sun) today. Getting colder and snow on the way, we are told.

And that's all I am going to say about that, lol.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,208,052 times
What a silly goose I am to have even entertained the idea that since it is mid-April we could be done with cold, snow and ice.

I know that every year, just when the weeping cherry is looking magnificent, we get a good storm with strong winds to decimate all the beautiful white blossoms.

Oh well, I wasn't really geared up psychologically to get out and work in the yard/garden yet anyway but I'd best get in that new mind set soon.

I did enjoy an hour of so of watching a couple of red winded black birds yesterday as they flitted from the magnolia tree to the fence post tops to the ground over and over again, with occasional mid-air skirmishes over who knows what. Tim's horses seem to have spring fever and they where kicking up their heels, racing around the far pasture up on the hillside. Two of them are haflingers and just gorgeous to look at. Here's a picture but these are not his, just an example of what they look like.

http://www.horsechannel.com/images/h..._1280x1024.jpg

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,141,863 times
The next 2 nights are dipping down into the 30's..quite unusual for central Texas in mid April.
Protecting my growing veggie garden is my priority today.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Yikes, HT, save those plants!

I saw some blades of grass, a small patch of maybe a foot. And yeppers, we have snow in the forecast when our warm front leaves. The winds are getting blustery as the front comes through. Blech.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:01 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
We're heading back to NY in the coming week and I'm sad with all the things I'll be doing for the last time, until we return. I pick up my granddaughter from pre-k tomorrow for the last time, she starts spring break on Thursday. We take a winding road home and I don't know how it started but we have rituals for this road. On every curve we have to say "Whee!" all the way through, the S curve is a killer. We say "hello, hello, hello Manatee!" to the manatee mail box holder (don't ask, they are a FL thing). The granddaughter noticed there is a pelican and frog with the manatee and we have to include them now. I sure hope the people in that house don't get anymore kitsch to put in their yard this summer.

I was watching the almost two year old pestering our kitten and got a little teary, I'm going to miss watching their interactions. The kitten is going to be bored, bored, bored in NY. Me too. I just need to switch gears and all will be fine, but gosh I'm going to miss those kids!

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-15-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement