U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Probably should be posting this to whatever pet forum lies within, but I know there are many dog-lovers here. I made an appointment today to have my dog, Molly, euthanized. This is the second time that I have done this and I may chicken out again tomorrow before the appointed time.

When I got home from work today, she was very buoyant and her face reflected that particular canine joie de vivre that I think is at the heart of the human/dog love affair. Oh if only she had been lethargic, limping badly, foggy-eyed and disengaged. No. Sitting in the sun, grinning, she seemed almost young again. I will miss her, but it is the weight of deciding her fate, when she still seems to be enjoying life, that wears me down.
If a dog is not sickly, why would you ever put him or her down? I nursed several dogs into old age, getting hind wheels for one of them whose hips were shot. Why the decision?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
Quote:
Probably should be posting this to whatever pet forum lies within, but I know there are many dog-lovers here. I made an appointment today to have my dog, Molly, euthanized. This is the second time that I have done this and I may chicken out again tomorrow before the appointed time.

When I got home from work today, she was very buoyant and her face reflected that particular canine joie de vivre that I think is at the heart of the human/dog love affair. Oh if only she had been lethargic, limping badly, foggy-eyed and disengaged. No. Sitting in the sun, grinning, she seemed almost young again. I will miss her, but it is the weight of deciding her fate, when she still seems to be enjoying life, that wears me down.
I don't understand the reason to euthanize your dog.

I know I'm soon to lose my 15yo. He has trouble getting around and has cognitive dysfunction. I had a ramp built so that he can go in and out more easily. Often he doesn't care to go out. He goes in the house but that's OK. He's been getting worse the last two weeks. Thankfully, my 10yo finally understands. She's not trying to get him to play anymore, but stays near him.

I've had him over eleven years and I'll miss him so much. My other one worships him; I don't know what she'll do.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:12 PM

20,317 posts, read 19,298,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If a dog is not sickly, why would you ever put him or her down? I nursed several dogs into old age, getting hind wheels for one of them whose hips were shot. Why the decision?
I can see both sides. My last dog had cancer and was having seizures. Sooner or later a seizure would have killed him. The tumor was growing so large it was blocking his eye. I was hand feeding him Cheerios because he couldn't eat. He couldn't get up on the bed or into the car anymore, he was too tired to go for walks and then the vet gave him some medicine to make him live a few months longer. Prolong the agony. Each case is different but next time I will follow my instincts and when the dog's quality of life is compromised, with only a few minutes of happiness off and on, and the end is near, I will not choose to prolong the life. Finally, when even the medicine didn't do any good, I made the decision and got one last smile out of him just before they took him away. It is a horrible experience. Sometimes I don't think I should even have animals. Good luck, foglover. Pain is the price we pay for love.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can see both sides. My last dog had cancer and was having seizures. Sooner or later a seizure would have killed him. The tumor was growing so large it was blocking his eye. I was hand feeding him Cheerios because he couldn't eat. He couldn't get up on the bed or into the car anymore, he was too tired to go for walks and then the vet gave him some medicine to make him live a few months longer. Prolong the agony. Each case is different but next time I will follow my instincts and when the dog's quality of life is compromised, with only a few minutes of happiness off and on, and the end is near, I will not choose to prolong the life. Finally, when even the medicine didn't do any good, I made the decision and got one last smile out of him just before they took him away. It is a horrible experience. Sometimes I don't think I should even have animals. Good luck, foglover. Pain is the price we pay for love.
If the dog has debilitating/terminal disease, I understand. It sure is tough in those cases. A good friend whose Golden had inoperable cancer and a lot of pain had to put her down last week. We both cried.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM

332 posts, read 432,714 times
Molly has been incontinent for many years. Also for many years she has had severe anxiety attacks. She has destroyed the kitchen floor, taken out a wall down to the plaster and lath. This has been ongoing for years and I never know what I will come home to find. No medication has ever solved the incontinence problem. She had meds for anxiety, but they are no longer effective. She has little appetite, she is winded going up the stairs. She no longer escapes out of the yard which had been an everyday occurrence - the village police all know her. That is an enormous change in her behavior.

I have no intention of having lots of tests to find a precise diagnosis for all her problems. I have been through this before with other animals, notably with my last dog who was the big love of my life. She died on the operating table.

Molly has always had attachment issues. My animals are always rescues and I suspect that the first year of her life was rough and the source of her insecurity. She 'allows' me to go to work, but I go absolutely nowhere else without her. I can no longer manage the incontinence. It used to be only when she slept and I have special beds for her so that the mess is contained and easily cleaned. Now she loses urine when awake. She will not wear a diaper. Can't say I blame her. She has done a lot of damage to this house and I can ill afford to make the repairs.

Today she was especially happy to see me upon coming home - it's Monday. She has me all weekend and then evil Monday comes. It is a beautiful evening and she will not go outside. That is a huge change.

Both my sisters, both big animal-lovers, are aghast at the damage this dog has done and claim they would have 'done something' if it were them, but never specify what that 'something' would be. What they really mean is they would have gotten rid of such a dog many years ago. I've given this dog more than 15 years of care and I am tortured over making my decision, but it is time to regain control of my house.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
Quote:
Molly has been incontinent for many years. Also for many years she has had severe anxiety attacks. She has destroyed the kitchen floor, taken out a wall down to the plaster and lath. This has been ongoing for years and I never know what I will come home to find. No medication has ever solved the incontinence problem. She had meds for anxiety, but they are no longer effective. She has little appetite, she is winded going up the stairs. She no longer escapes out of the yard which had been an everyday occurrence - the village police all know her. That is an enormous change in her behavior.

I have no intention of having lots of tests to find a precise diagnosis for all her problems. I have been through this before with other animals, notably with my last dog who was the big love of my life. She died on the operating table.

Molly has always had attachment issues. My animals are always rescues and I suspect that the first year of her life was rough and the source of her insecurity. She 'allows' me to go to work, but I go absolutely nowhere else without her. I can no longer manage the incontinence. It used to be only when she slept and I have special beds for her so that the mess is contained and easily cleaned. Now she loses urine when awake. She will not wear a diaper. Can't say I blame her. She has done a lot of damage to this house and I can ill afford to make the repairs.

Today she was especially happy to see me upon coming home - it's Monday. She has me all weekend and then evil Monday comes. It is a beautiful evening and she will not go outside. That is a huge change.

Both my sisters, both big animal-lovers, are aghast at the damage this dog has done and claim they would have 'done something' if it were them, but never specify what that 'something' would be. What they really mean is they would have gotten rid of such a dog many years ago. I've given this dog more than 15 years of care and I am tortured over making my decision, but it is time to regain control of my house.
I'd only have my dog or any other pet killed if she were in extreme pain with no hope of recovery. I can repair or replace anything in the house; I can't do that with a living creature.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 AM

20,126 posts, read 20,242,014 times
You probably are the only one that knows what life is like for you with the dog and for the dog herself. What you've said here probably hasn't reflected how distressed Molly, herself is. It has sounded like you're doing it mostly for your own convenience but a happy dog doesn't do the damage you indicate.
15 is very old age for a dog so there's no doubt things will get better for her.
I know how you can feel conflicted when, just as you've made the decision, the dog has a good period of time, making you doubt yourself. We've experienced that, even though it was brief, it's just extra torment at an already terrible time.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 AM

332 posts, read 432,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You probably are the only one that knows what life is like for you with the dog and for the dog herself. What you've said here probably hasn't reflected how distressed Molly, herself is. It has sounded like you're doing it mostly for your own convenience but a happy dog doesn't do the damage you indicate.
15 is very old age for a dog so there's no doubt things will get better for her.
I know how you can feel conflicted when, just as you've made the decision, the dog has a good period of time, making you doubt yourself. We've experienced that, even though it was brief, it's just extra torment at an already terrible time.
Thank you for this. In my 'real' life, other people are completely on my side with this decision and wonder that it has taken so long. Here in cyberland, it seems to be the opposite.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Thank you for this. In my 'real' life, other people are completely on my side with this decision and wonder that it has taken so long. Here in cyberland, it seems to be the opposite.
I think we were just wondering why, as there initially was no explanation. Best wishes in your decision.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Seeds are sprouting in their little pots upstairs! Hard to believe it's planting time. Anyone started their garden yet?

We'd like to get a little greenhouse for next year and are wondering which kind. Suggestions (for a small one) would be welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement