U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times

Advertisements

It is so cold out here that I have to travel a ways (?) to see daffodils. Yesterday I did pry some of the soil off a mound and behold! The tips of a daffodil were showing. Things are slow out here by the beach.

NEG, do you mean a regular greenhouse or a cold frame?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 AM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Thank you for this. In my 'real' life, other people are completely on my side with this decision and wonder that it has taken so long. Here in cyberland, it seems to be the opposite.
Your dog isn't in pain. How does it benefit her? She's the one who dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
So sorry for you and your dog, foglover. Try to remember the good times. I planted tree (cats/catlover here) last summer and wonder who will be next, they are getting so old. But the will go at home with love.

negirl, my tulips are sporting leafy tips about three inches long sticking out of the ground. No garden this year, not that it was ever a big deal. Ten, fifteen years ago I did big garden, it was fun. Next one will be in Florida when we move next year. At least that's what I am praying for.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM

332 posts, read 432,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Your dog isn't in pain. How does it benefit her? She's the one who dies.
You've made it clear that extreme pain is the only situation that would compel you to put an animal down. I don't 100% agree with that. I would prefer that my animals never get to experience extreme pain. In the case of disease this is something I might have some control over. But it is difficult to judge a dog's pain level.

At any rate, I couldn't go through with it after all. I am allowing some tests to proceed and will go forward one step at a time.

I never mentioned the distrust I have for vets and doctors. That distrust started a few years ago and keeps increasing. Valid or not, it influences my behavior and my decisions.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Fog, go with your gut, And, yeah, I hear ya in not trusting vets, the guy up here is like a car dealer service advisor, always trying to upsell stuff outside of the immediate concern.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
You've made it clear that extreme pain is the only situation that would compel you to put an animal down. I don't 100% agree with that. I would prefer that my animals never get to experience extreme pain. In the case of disease this is something I might have some control over. But it is difficult to judge a dog's pain level.

At any rate, I couldn't go through with it after all. I am allowing some tests to proceed and will go forward one step at a time.

I never mentioned the distrust I have for vets and doctors. That distrust started a few years ago and keeps increasing. Valid or not, it influences my behavior and my decisions.
I have the same difficulty trusting medical people regardless of the species they treat. But my experience with vets has been better and I really trust the people I have now. I'm particularly sensitive now because I don't think my 15yo dog has much time. But I thought that two years ago and he popped back. I'm not trying to be nasty. I just try to put myself in the animal's position. What would I want?

It's really the same with people; my mother died of bone cancer. Her last four weeks shouldn't have had to be.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 PM

332 posts, read 432,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Seeds are sprouting in their little pots upstairs! Hard to believe it's planting time. Anyone started their garden yet?

We'd like to get a little greenhouse for next year and are wondering which kind. Suggestions (for a small one) would be welcome.
How exciting. Little green nubbins reaching up. Do tell what you have started. I used to start hundreds every year, but no longer.

If by 'start a garden', you mean turn the soil and plant, we here in this area are still in the very beginnings of the spring clean-up. I have crocuses blooming and the forsythia has opened, tulips and daffodils are on the way.

I want to dig up a lot of my lilies and some other perennials and transport them to Maine, but haven't figured out how to actually get them and some of my gardening equipment moved up there.

You can make a mini-greenhouse inside by converting a bookcase. A few lights, some heavy plastic, and voila.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It is so cold out here that I have to travel a ways (?) to see daffodils. Yesterday I did pry some of the soil off a mound and behold! The tips of a daffodil were showing. Things are slow out here by the beach.

NEG, do you mean a regular greenhouse or a cold frame?
A little greenhouse that could be placed on a deck. Looking online today.

It's so cold again we have the heat on...again. Now it's looking like we're heating more months than we're not. I don't get the concept of global warming, unless the particulate matter trapped within the stratosphere is blocking the sun. Is that the real greenhouse effect?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
It's been in the 60s the last 2 days and now we are getting another old snap - 50s with a low of 40s and 1 night 30s.

But, right now I have a robin in my bird bath <just put in fresh water> having a gay old time and a mama cardinal building her nest in the bushes next to my patio. That worries me as I have dogs - they won't go after the nest but she may decide to abandon the nest if they decide to investigate and what if there are babies then? What to do~~~~~

Guess the dogs will have to just hold it for a few weeks Tie up the dogs on the opposite side of the yard? Will this make me a granny <baby birds>?

A greenhouse would be nice.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,478,542 times
Nothing much happening with me. My bruised knee is healing. I'm making plans to spend a week in June in St. Petersburg Beach, FL (my older brother lives nearby in Tampa and I haven't seen him in 2 years ... he just became a grandfather for the first time a few months ago.)

I'm also going to visit a "Facebook friend" that lives in St. Pete but whom I never actually met in person! It's a long story ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement