U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,606 posts, read 12,478,542 times
Reputation: 15595

Advertisements

In my neck of the woods Spring is in full flush ... the daffodils are gone and the magnolias are shedding, but the tulips, the hyacinths, the cherry trees and crab apples are at their peak.

My property taxes have gone up and next month's mortgage payment is going to be higher than in the past (the mortgage payment includes homeowner's insurance premiums and the county property tax.) I fought the increase in my property taxes and they reassessed the property for about 25% less than the original assessment, but my taxes are going up nonetheless. The fact is the neighborhood had been "gentrifying" for the past decade and homes can vary from about $300,000 for a two story attached row-home to slightly more than a million for a single home. An apartment building will be starting construction on the street I live on and the condos will go $500,000 and the one bedroom rental apartments will go for $2,000/month. It will have a fitness club on premesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2014, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Reputation: 15656
Just reading this morning about the deadly tornados in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Hoping for everyone's safekeeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Reputation: 15656
Reading more of the news and forecasts. The potential tornado paths (into Wed.) are now pretty wide even eastward. Stay safe and prepared everyone, with emergency plan and stuff ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Reputation: 7530
Great news about your dog, foglover!

Prayers for everyone, sad hearing about those tornadoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
An update on my Molly-dog: Old Molly passed her 'Senior Profile' with flying colors, to the astonishment of all, including the vet. He's probably disappointed, that he can't 'upsell', as Cccgirl would say, by treating her for some more expensive condition. We are giving it another go with some meds for incontinence, but I am having a devil of a time giving them to her. This has never been much of a problem in the past. One large pill is a chewable, but she disagrees. She is disdaining the cheese slices even without my using them as foils for the pill. Same with peanut butter. And don't you know that the only pb I had on hand is the super expensive, healthy stuff. What finally worked was roasted chicken skin. Now if I could only get my hands on
a large supply of chicken skin!

neg, are you off to Italy?
Dogs are so smart - they seem to pick up the pill in the special treat real fast. I've always had to do the prep while the dog was out of the room and then I pretend to take a bite of whatever it is and go "yummmmm". Usually works - until they eat the goodie and spit out the pill.

Glad Molly is doing good. I just had my dogs at the Vet for the full shot treatment, heartworm check & meds plus I hear that there are lots of ticks & fleas in NC so I got that stuff - 2 dogs

Prices have gone sky high - much much higher than in the past. I intend to learn how to give my own shots for the future - major $$ savings.

It's been rainy & cold for days here - bad bad. It's almost May - bad bad.

See ya~~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Reputation: 7530
Yep, Umb, I hear you; chilly and rainy coming mid week here, too. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,092 posts, read 13,351,284 times
Reputation: 14875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My property taxes have gone up and next month's mortgage payment is going to be higher than in the past (the mortgage payment includes homeowner's insurance premiums and the county property tax.) I fought the increase in my property taxes and they reassessed the property for about 25% less than the original assessment, but my taxes are going up nonetheless. The fact is the neighborhood had been "gentrifying" for the past decade and homes can vary from about $300,000 for a two story attached row-home to slightly more than a million for a single home. An apartment building will be starting construction on the street I live on and the condos will go $500,000 and the one bedroom rental apartments will go for $2,000/month. It will have a fitness club on premesis.
Which is probably a good thing for you and your Victorian, as long as the taxes don't kill ya.

2K a month.
But if you lose a 'Golden Boy' and have to interview a new one - you can raise the rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,606 posts, read 12,478,542 times
Reputation: 15595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Which is probably a good thing for you and your Victorian, as long as the taxes don't kill ya.

2K a month.
But if you lose a 'Golden Boy' and have to interview a new one - you can raise the rent
Professor Robert, the housemate/tenant who has been with me the longest - 9 1/2 years - is getting his first rent increase in over 5 years. I consulted him and he agreed a 5% increase in his rent was fair.

There is another thread on this forum about rooming houses and boarding houses for seniors. It is a good alternative for seniors with tight budgets. As single people sharing a house it is not only about saving money on housing but being part of a quasi-family and support system. When Professor Robert has to catch a flight at the airport, more often than not I dive him there - saves money on a taxi. When I take two weeks off in June to go to Florida, Handyman Rod will water my plants and look after the house.

When it's mature people sharing a house (like in The Golden Girls) it is less likely one of the housemates will be a noisy, irresponsible, rude slob. Even families living under one roof might have one member who is aggravating and difficult to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Professor Robert, the housemate/tenant who has been with me the longest - 9 1/2 years - is getting his first rent increase in over 5 years. I consulted him and he agreed a 5% increase in his rent was fair.

There is another thread on this forum about rooming houses and boarding houses for seniors. It is a good alternative for seniors with tight budgets. As single people sharing a house it is not only about saving money on housing but being part of a quasi-family and support system. When Professor Robert has to catch a flight at the airport, more often than not I dive him there - saves money on a taxi. When I take two weeks off in June to go to Florida, Handyman Rod will water my plants and look after the house.

When it's mature people sharing a house (like in The Golden Girls) it is less likely one of the housemates will be a noisy, irresponsible, rude slob. Even families living under one roof might have one member who is aggravating and difficult to live with.
You seem to have a very excellent and rare situation. It would seem to me that in a Golden Girls situation there will be at least 1 that needs to control everything, at least one that needs to gossip and generally cause trouble. Maybe it's different with men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Reputation: 34695
I think it would be so much easier for men. I know for myself, a friend and I used to talk about sharing an apartment but we would get into whose dishes we would use, who would hang pictures on the walls, who would pick out the curtains, whose furniture? It got to be a joke. Most men don't seem to care so much. I guess some do but most are fine with any dishes, any comfy furniture, curtains? It sounds like you have one of the best situations possible.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top