U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 03:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Uh oh! We did it backwards. We went from CA to Missouri where our wagon broke down and we got stuck in the Ozarks. Thank goodness! .
Thank goodness you didn't go with the Donner party. Of course, they were going in the direction you were leaving.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Ani: Scarlett is alive and well and lives on a plantation outside of Atlanta !

Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
LOL!!

Hmmm. I had her going to St. Louis and then deciding to leave for San Francisco, where she once again bought a lumber mill, made gobs of money, built herself a mansion on one of SF's hills . . .

And of course, Rhett DID show up . . . He had followed the gold west, too!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:20 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
I understand she and Mammy opened up a dress-making business that is very profitable because they create magnificent fashions out of curtains and drapes.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I understand she and Mammy opened up a dress-making business that is very profitable because they create magnificent fashions out of curtains and drapes.
LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bOpJ5elW8

Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
^^^^^

One of the most classic moments in the golden age of American TV!

Other ones include Jackie Gleason getting flustered while appearing on a TV game show in The Honeymooners, or Lucy stomping on grapes in an Italian vineyard in I Love Lucy.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm sure it was interesting and quite right if all you're concerned with is COL vs. QOL. I'm afraid that the weather would literally freeze us out but all three states decidedly have their charms when the weather is decent. Chief among them, for me, would be wide open spaces and low populations although the latter is in the process of changing with the fracking. As a complete and utter retiree, job opportunities do not intrigue me. But never say never, right?
Yes, the weather would be a big thing with me. I am, literally, a 'desert brat', born and raised, so cold places don't turn me on. I've lived in enough cold places (MI, AK, ID) that I have no desire to do it again. I was in South Dakota the first week of Mar. and about froze my patootie off! It was -5 the day I arrived and the high for the week was 24! Wind chill made it even worse. No thank you.

Arizona has enough "wide open spaces" for me!

There are lots of retirees who don't have to think about employment but there are others, like me, who do. One good thing about my job is that, if I wanted to, I could transfer anywhere in the US...or out of it for that matter. Not planning on any of that though.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Quote:
^^^^^

One of the most classic moments in the golden age of American TV!

Other ones include Jackie Gleason getting flustered while appearing on a TV game show in The Honeymooners, or Lucy stomping on grapes in an Italian vineyard in I Love Lucy.
When Carol Burnett came flouncin' down the stairs in those drapes, I laughed so hard I peed in my pants !!!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM

Default TV Nostalgia

Quote:
When Carol Burnett came flouncin' down the stairs in those drapes, I laughed so hard I peed in my pants !!!
I really enjoyed the Carol Burnett Show, and I love Carol. She is a brilliant comedian.

Some of my other favorites: Jerry Mathers as the Beaver in Leave It To Beaver; Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha in Bewitched; Paul Lynde in the center square in Hollywood Squares; Nancy Kulp as Miss Jane Hathaway on The Beverly Hillbillies; Eva Gabor as Lisa in Green Acres.

Anyone else have favorite TV shows and stars of yesteryear???

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:28 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
I really enjoyed the Carol Burnett Show, and I love Carol. She is a brilliant comedian.

Some of my other favorites: Jerry Mathers as the Beaver in Leave It To Beaver; Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha in Bewitched; Paul Lynde in the center square in Hollywood Squares; Nancy Kulp as Miss Jane Hathaway on The Beverly Hillbillies; Eva Gabor as Lisa in Green Acres.

Anyone else have favorite TV shows and stars of yesteryear???

Inquiring minds want to know!
My 2 favorite stars: Cary Grant & Audrey Hepburn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement