U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,759,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I really enjoyed the Carol Burnett Show, and I love Carol. She is a brilliant comedian.

Some of my other favorites: Jerry Mathers as the Beaver in Leave It To Beaver; Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha in Bewitched; Paul Lynde in the center square in Hollywood Squares; Nancy Kulp as Miss Jane Hathaway on The Beverly Hillbillies; Eva Gabor as Lisa in Green Acres.

Anyone else have favorite TV shows and stars of yesteryear???

Inquiring minds want to know!
Nancy Kulp and I appeared together on a TV game show in 1970 along with Polly Bergen and Louis Nye. Bergen and Nye I didn't care for at all and they basically shunned me in the green room before the show. I was just a nobody. Nancy, however, was friendly, very sweet and while she hid it pretty well, clearly miffed at the other two for their snobbishness and lack of courtesy. I became instantly very fond of her and mourned her death from cancer in 1991 at the age of 69. She was quite a lady.

As for the rest of the question, neighbors while growing up in Orange County and young adulthood were John Wayne, Jane Wyman , James Arness, Andy Devine, Edgar Bergen and I met and spent some time with Dick Clark and Dennis Weaver. As for favorites, too many to list back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Wow, Curm, cool neighbors!

Loved most shows posted, some I only saw on reruns.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Wow, Curm, cool neighbors!

Loved most shows posted, some I only saw on reruns.
What was really cool is that back in the day, they didn't travel with bodyguards and entourages, did their own shopping, drove their own cars and were real people without pretense or standoffishness. Idiot photographers didn't follow them around everywhere, people didn't scream and make asses of themselves when they saw them and respected their space and privacy. Back in the 50s, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and their family were summer vacationers for several years on the island on which I lived I lived. I got to know all of them because I played with their children. Those were very simple and very good times.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Wow, very cool, we watch the Roy Rogers Show every day at four on World Harvest Television. The Lone Ranger is on after.

Never thought about how celebs are 'protected' these days but it is different. Back in the day you could meet the drivers at races with no problem, now they only appear at certain times and do select things.

Hell, I remember at Lime Rock Park talking to Paul Newman, he had his arm around me showing off the car. Try that nowadays.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:47 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nancy Kulp and I appeared together on a TV game show in 1970 along with Polly Bergen and Louis Nye. Bergen and Nye I didn't care for at all and they basically shunned me in the green room before the show. I was just a nobody. Nancy, however, was friendly, very sweet and while she hid it pretty well, clearly miffed at the other two for their snobbishness and lack of courtesy. I became instantly very fond of her and mourned her death from cancer in 1991 at the age of 69. She was quite a lady.

As for the rest of the question, neighbors while growing up in Orange County and young adulthood were John Wayne, Jane Wyman , James Arness, Andy Devine, Edgar Bergen and I met and spent some time with Dick Clark and Dennis Weaver. As for favorites, too many to list back in the day.
I am impressed by this -- because it shows how "stars" were a lot more accessible and more a part of their neighborhoods than they are now.

And I am so disappointed about Polly Bergen. I always liked her and now I am saddened to know she was snooty. Louis Nye does not surprise me at all; I always thought he acted like a smartarse.

I loved Roy and Dale! When I was 5, I got the best Christmas gift . . . a Dale Evans "cowgirl outfit." I wish I had a photo of myself in it.

Thank you for sharing those tidbits with us, Curm!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,928,294 times
Speaking of Dale Evans and Roy Rogers, remember the horse Trigger who was stuffed and mounted? I understand Dale Evans wanted the same, except in the reverse order.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I liked/disliked I Love Lucy for a similar reason. I thought she made herself out to be just too much of a doormat. Sometimes I found it more offensive than funny.

The irony of this is that all along it was she who was running that entire enterprise!
Yes, Lucille Ball was anything BUT a dizzy redhead!

I loved the situations she found herself in. Still laugh just thinking about the "candy factory" episode.

I read recently that Vivian Vance (Ethel Mertz) and her TV hubby, William Frawley, truly detested one another in real life!!! I had no idea. Vance hated working with him! I don't know why I had never heard that before.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, Lucille Ball was anything BUT a dizzy redhead!

I loved the situations she found herself in. Still laugh just thinking about the "candy factory" episode.

I read recently that Vivian Vance (Ethel Mertz) and her TV hubby, William Frawley, truly detested one another in real life!!! I had no idea. Vance hated working with him! I don't know why I had never heard that before.
They didn't like one another but underneath it all they shared a grudging respect. Vivian didn't like being in a frumpy role and the fact that she was paired with a man 22 years her senior didn't help. He was a vaudevillian. She was classically trained in music. He pestered and teased her on the set. She was not amused. At heart, he was a gruff old so-and-so, very much Fred Mertz. They were just kind of oil and water.

Upon his death she is reported to have said, "Champagne for everyone." But she also said, "There's a great big amusing light gone out of this world."

Old 05-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
They didn't like one another but underneath it all they shared a grudging respect. Vivian didn't like being in a frumpy role and the fact that she was paired with a man 22 years her senior didn't help. He was a vaudevillian. She was classically trained in music. He pestered and teased her on the set. She was not amused. At heart, he was a gruff old so-and-so, very much Fred Mertz. They were just kind of oil and water.

Upon his death she is reported to have said, "Champagne for everyone." But she also said, "There's a great big amusing light gone out of this world."
That makes sense!

They sure were a great pair on the screen! Whatever they thought of each other, they sure made one heckuva good TV couple -- their sparring was hilarious.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Quote:

I Love Lucy is my favorite show of all time. So she was trained in music? There was one episode that I really loved and she sang in it. Trying to remember...she and Lucy sang together maybe and the were wearing gowns. If that was her real voice it was beautiful.

I used to also like the episode where they stay in a motel and the train keeps going by. The room shakes and the beds roll around the room. And the vita vegamix episode, or whatever it was. The four of them where great characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement