U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times

Advertisements

Congrats on your retirement, foglover! Enjoy!

Feel better soon, Zug. Hugs.

negirl, follow your heart, Enjoy the house. Go when it's time.

Umbria, are you still in MN?

Finally packed up the stuff my aunt stashed in the trunk of the Buick I inherited. Didn't have a boc big enough for the small flatscreen or the rugs, but at least there isn't stuff all over the couch anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
some food recalls, fyi

E. coli outbreak linked to sprouts; hummus, dips, walnuts recalled - CNN.com

Old 05-22-2014, 07:02 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Congrats on your retirement, foglover! Enjoy!

Feel better soon, Zug. Hugs.

negirl, follow your heart, Enjoy the house. Go when it's time.

Umbria, are you still in MN?

Finally packed up the stuff my aunt stashed in the trunk of the Buick I inherited. Didn't have a boc big enough for the small flatscreen or the rugs, but at least there isn't stuff all over the couch anymore.
Still here and will be for awhile. This is the first week that it hasn't rained most of the week plus we are just now getting into the high 60s-low 70s. I came home to severe winter burn on my evergreen scrubs - some have had to be cut down to the nibs, including 2 10' ones that have to be totally removed. Did I mention my rose hedge? They use to be gorgeous and now I have about 1/3 of each of 5 plants still alive - we'll have to see what happens. Last winter was a monster. I have a small city park sized back yard so there is a lot of clean up to do.

CCC - What about you - when do you plan to hit the road for FL?

NEG - I knew you'd stay put. Nothing wrong with that.

My rear neighbor went home to China and brought me real black tea and a cute fan. She is putting her house on the market also - her daughter went to Boston for school (MIT) and now she doesn't want all the work (house & yard). She's a DR and has long hours. I hope we leave at the same time - she is the only really good neighbor that I have here.

OK - back to the grind so I can get the H out of here.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:34 AM

Although we've decided to stay put, we're still organizing and downsizing on a regular basis. We have seen friends' and neighbors' lives turn on a dime, usually due to illness or incapacitation, but also due to opportunity. It feels better to be pared down, well-organized, and ready for change at any rate.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:42 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I seem to be getting more used to the idea of staying put. We talk it over frequently and now think that to relocate is something we missed the train on. We will carry forth and finish the house, put in the new driveway, and stop obsessing over a near or future move. We need some R & R and time to enjoy the fruits of our labor here. I will probably continue to peek at living possibilities elsewhere, but I think I/we are done. Accept and enjoy what we have, it's not greener elsewhere. Interestingly, at the same time another thing I'm personally done with is dealing with certain people. I just feel done. That brings a sense of peace in and of itself.

P.S. Zugor, best wishes for getting over this health crisis quickly.
NEG: Its so interesting that you wrote this as I have been thinking so much along the same lines. Moving anywhere will be my undoing because no matter where I choose, I will always think I could have done better. Yes, I missed the train too. Maybe 5 years ago I could have done it alone. But now, I feel most days that its too late. And people are getting on my nerves a whole lot here, and it could be even worse somewhere else. Granted, am not sure about this, but I may be stuck here til I die.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Umb, we're hoing to hit the road next fall. Lots of stuff to get rid of. Sad to hear about your plants.

negirl, good plan.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, all! I splurged nd got fresh corn, haven't had it in ages. Also a nice ribeye.

Barb, is there a SO or are you single? The world is your oyster if you are single, I would think.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
NEG: Its so interesting that you wrote this as I have been thinking so much along the same lines. Moving anywhere will be my undoing because no matter where I choose, I will always think I could have done better. Yes, I missed the train too. Maybe 5 years ago I could have done it alone. But now, I feel most days that its too late. And people are getting on my nerves a whole lot here, and it could be even worse somewhere else. Granted, am not sure about this, but I may be stuck here til I die.
I don't know how old you are and what your energy level is, but at 65 I can feel I'm definitely no spring chicken. Seems like everything is catching up with me, the difficult jobs, having kids, moving for husband's jobs, remaking homes in new locations over the years. Although we could find the energy to move if something perfect came along, we're just plain tired of looking. There's some significant things we do not like here (namely, our neighbors) but that's a crap shoot anywhere you go. As is COL, considering hidden costs. Maybe the path of least resistance is the best path. Of course I've had friends who felt that way in regard to relationships, letting up on the search altogether, only to find the perfect one fall in their laps by surprise. LOL.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't know how old you are and what your energy level is, but at 65 I can feel I'm definitely no spring chicken. Seems like everything is catching up with me, the difficult jobs, having kids, moving for husband's jobs, remaking homes in new locations over the years. Although we could find the energy to move if something perfect came along, we're just plain tired of looking. There's some significant things we do not like here (namely, our neighbors) but that's a crap shoot anywhere you go. As is COL, considering hidden costs. Maybe the path of least resistance is the best path. Of course I've had friends who felt that way in regard to relationships, letting up on the search altogether, only to find the perfect one fall in their laps by surprise. LOL.
Maybe you need to take a break from the hunt. Just don't talk yourself into thinking you're too old. After all - you can't have much left to move () and you can sit and rest anywhere - it's easier in a milder climate.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,004,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Maybe you need to take a break from the hunt. Just don't talk yourself into thinking you're too old. After all - you can't have much left to move () and you can sit and rest anywhere - it's easier in a milder climate.
Sometimes I wonder if I am nuts for wanting to move from a mild climate (south Florida) to a four season climate. I am so tired of the 7-month long heat and humidity that drains so much of my energy. Not to mention hurricanes. I've been through ~ 6 of them, including Hurricane Andrew that I still am suffering PTSD from.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I am nuts for wanting to move from a mild climate (south Florida) to a four season climate. I am so tired of the 7-month long heat and humidity that drains so much of my energy. Not to mention hurricanes. I've been through ~ 6 of them, including Hurricane Andrew that I still am suffering PTSD from.
But your climate isn't mild - it's the exact opposite of mine. You could be a "half-back" and move to NC - seems it's the latest thing to do.

P.S> Expect to hear from me when my first hurricane is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement