U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I am nuts for wanting to move from a mild climate (south Florida) to a four season climate. I am so tired of the 7-month long heat and humidity that drains so much of my energy. Not to mention hurricanes. I've been through ~ 6 of them, including Hurricane Andrew that I still am suffering PTSD from.
I don't think you are nuts at all. I think you have lots of company in your dislike of the heat and humidity - my own word would be stronger than "dislike". In fact, the heat and humidity of the U.S. Gulf Coast (not limited to south Florida) is so extreme that I would not even call that a "mild climate", although I do understand that your use of the term in that way is an accepted usage.

Best of luck with your relocation. You have paid your dues and then some, in my book.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 AM

16,597 posts, read 10,549,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I am nuts for wanting to move from a mild climate (south Florida) to a four season climate. I am so tired of the 7-month long heat and humidity that drains so much of my energy. Not to mention hurricanes. I've been through ~ 6 of them, including Hurricane Andrew that I still am suffering PTSD from.
You are not nuts for following your heart, and your health.

To do otherwise is nuts.

I would've left after the 1st hurricane!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:36 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And today is our last day in Florida for the season.
It has been exceptionally beautiful with temps in the 80s, a breeze and low humidity and up north is still crappy.
If all the arrangements and costs involved in getting the husband transferred weren't so great, I would definitely, absolutely, without a doubt, be cancelling the reservations.
I wish I had cancelled. He couldn't make the drive but it turned out that he couldn't make it by plane either. We did get back to NYS but he didn't get all the way home.
I'm indulging in some avoidance and denial this morning which is why I'm reading CityData forums.
I have a request for any of you reading this to please accept this simply as my posting about an important event in my life and don't allow it to keep the regular conversations from continuing.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
I wish I had cancelled. He couldn't make the drive but it turned out that he couldn't make it by plane either. We did get back to NYS but he didn't get all the way home.
I'm indulging in some avoidance and denial this morning which is why I'm reading CityData forums.
I have a request for any of you reading this to please accept this simply as my posting about an important event in my life and don't allow it to keep the regular conversations from continuing.
old_cold - what happened?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:46 AM

For some still unknown single reason, he simply couldn't maintain his blood pressure and it just plummeted and stopped his heart.
He actually quickly recovered the first time .....getting off the plane........and was resuscitated once when it happened worse on the way home and taken to a hospital.
He again came out of it pretty well until PT tried to see whether or not he could sit up/walk,etc.
I did have his DNR order with me and handed it over at that point.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
For some still unknown single reason, he simply couldn't maintain his blood pressure and it just plummeted and stopped his heart.
He actually quickly recovered the first time .....getting off the plane........and was resuscitated once when it happened worse on the way home and taken to a hospital.
He again came out of it pretty well until PT tried to see whether or not he could sit up/walk,etc.
I am so sorry. I hope you have someone with you during all this. Are you OK?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 AM

Thank you. My daughter is with me most of the time.
It's pretty amazing how you can just run on automatic if you need to.
I'm alone right now and avoiding unpacking and getting the house back to inhabitable.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Thank you. My daughter is with me most of the time.
It's pretty amazing how you can just run on automatic if you need to.
I'm alone right now and avoiding unpacking and getting the house back to inhabitable.
I understand running on automatic - take care of yourself and if you need to download - this is a good place to do it.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
I did not check this thread for a few days . . . logged on and wanted to see how others are doing . . . please know what is happening in your life IS part of the regular conversation!!!! That is what this thread is -- any of us dropping in to chat about "whatever."

I hope you are settled back home . . . please let us know what is going on. Our husband share so many of the same health issues. I think about you nearly every day.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
So . . . did he stabilize? I am reading this and assuming that he didn't.

Please know I am thinking of you. Sometimes, auto pilot is the only thing that carries us through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement