U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times

Advertisements

OLD COLD - thought about you last night.

I hope you are resting.

Yes, I have had the exact same things happen going in between homes. I recently found myself tearing the house up for a casserole dish and then realized it was NEVER at this house. SIGH.

Only two things help me when I am under duress. 1. Getting things under control in whatever way I can - be it making lists or folding clothes and 2. Sleeping, resting, meditating . . . just sitting with my cup of coffee and listening to music with my eyes closed, preferably, outside or on a porch, where I feel connected with nature.

That's it. I am somewhat inconsolable by nature. I need my quiet time to reconnect and rejuvenate and sort through things.

So if you are like that, just go for it. There is nothing to do - no tasks to conquer - that won't wait on you, at least for a while. There are times moving forward has seemed like trying to swim through oatmeal to me. I just have to withdraw and be quiet and talk to myself (yes, I do that a lot these days). Praying helps me, too. Just random petitions for strength to move forward.

In any case, give yourself permission to do whatever (or nothing!).

Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,245,184 times
OLD COLD : Do remember you will pass through this time and you won't stop midway in it and have to endure it forever. This is stress. It is mind boggling but it will ease with time. My hopes and prayers are with you while you are in this temporary state of mind. God Bless...

Old 05-25-2014, 11:46 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
one thing we learned early on when Dad passed was to avoiud the people that responded with 'You should or you have to or you need to' and respond to those that were saying, 'Can I, will you let me, here is _____ for you.'

Old 05-25-2014, 11:54 AM

20,141 posts, read 20,246,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
one thing we learned early on when Dad passed was to avoiud the people that responded with 'You should or you have to or you need to' and respond to those that were saying, 'Can I, will you let me, here is _____ for you.'

Did you happen to read my post on the other board CCcgirl
Anyway, I do thank you all but I don't really want to make people that use this thread to talk about other, lighter stuff to feel uncomfortable doing so.
It takes a little bit of guts to be the first to step in and start talking about the weather or something.
Please do continue on.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Watching the Indy 500 abd trying, again, to make hot wings that compare to ones gotten 'out'. They are never the same made at home. Any secrets out there? I am baking them.......

We're not uncomfortable, old_cold, we are with you {{{{{{}}}}}}}

Further efforts post here Oh wow...bite my tongue!

Last edited by CCc girl; 05-25-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 01:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
I just watched "Mud" and highly recommend it. It is on Netflix, btw.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:46 PM

2,635 posts, read 5,007,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Watching the Indy 500 abd trying, again, to make hot wings that compare to ones gotten 'out'. They are never the same made at home. Any secrets out there? I am baking them.......

We're not uncomfortable, old_cold, we are with you {{{{{{}}}}}}}

Further efforts post here Oh wow...bite my tongue!
I love the Indy 500! I grew up 60 miles from the track. I get so homesick at this time of year. Indiana is at the top of my places to retire.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:36 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,936,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Did you happen to read my post on the other board CCcgirl
Anyway, I do thank you all but I don't really want to make people that use this thread to talk about other, lighter stuff to feel uncomfortable doing so.
It takes a little bit of guts to be the first to step in and start talking about the weather or something.
Please do continue on.
Your concern for others at a moment of your own grieving shows a wonderful and admirable depth of character. My hat is off to you. And my condolences are with you.

Never fear - the title of this thread is "Chat Thread" and it will revert quite soon enough to trivia. I may start (or resume) that myself, particularly inasmuch as I have your most gracious permission and encouragement to do so.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 AM

old_cold, right now you come first, don't forget that.

popcorn, sad you are homesick for Indt. This was the last year Jim Nabors sang the song. He's 84 and still sounded excellent. Very exciting race.

I finally mowed the front yard, I was exhausted. It's hilly and getting that mower back up the hill is a bear.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:45 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,936,627 times
Default Life is good in Los Angeles

Los Angeles is hardly popular as a retirement relocation destination - quite the contrary. But yesterday afternoon I was reminded of why I love it here. The occasion was a Los Angeles Opera production of the Massenet opera "Thais" with Placido Domingo in the lead male role. "Thais" is not performed very much but more's the pity as it contains the most wonderful music of breath-taking beauty. Placido Domingo is getting quite old, but he is apparently still at the top of his game and he sang powerfully. The title role (soprano) was a younger name, but magnificent as well. Yep, life is good here in la-la land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement