U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 AM

915 posts, read 1,855,348 times

Advertisements

I like playing in them (musicals). I can't tell you how much fun it is. I haven't played all of the Wagner, but most operas and lots of musicals, West Side Story being my favorite. Lots of ballet, too, which is usually much harder music. Not Les Mis, not yet, but I hope to.

I can't tell what joy it is to play in an orchestra, which I have been doing since I was 12 -

Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I often like musicals as stage productions and rarely like them on film. I will see with this one. Although I did like the Chipmunks on film
Ha!! So did I So, I guess I do have of that there class.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Umbria, break down and go see the movie.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
We watched the chipmunks Xmas special last week the old one

Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Umbria, break down and go see the movie.
This is one that I'll wait til it's at the library. I have the movie (no singing) with Liam Neeson/Uma Thurman and another older version with Victor Hughes/Jean Gabin (no singing).

Have a Happy New Year all you retired CDers - and try to behave yourselves

Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
Quote:
This is one that I'll wait til it's at the library.
I love getting CDs and DVDs at the library. Haven't been to a theater in 5-6 years now. Looking forward to seeing the new movie when the library gets it, though. Should be another 6 months or so.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM

9,667 posts, read 11,124,098 times
Am I the only one here who reads? The last few posts seem to indicate that.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I love getting CDs and DVDs at the library. Haven't been to a theater in 5-6 years now. Looking forward to seeing the new movie when the library gets it, though. Should be another 6 months or so.
I don't remember the last time I went to a movie theater - it's been a long long time. I get lots of DVDs and books at the library. We have 40 of them in our county and the books fly between all 40 - it's gotten to be a busy place since this recession. Yes, you do have to wait but I get on a waiting list as soon as a book/DVD gets posted in the library's web site.

Happy in WY - Yes, I do read, in fact~~~~~~(drum roll) I just read the Fifty Shades of Grey series

Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 AM

9,667 posts, read 11,124,098 times
Quote:
Happy in WY - Yes, I do read, in fact~~~~~~(drum roll) I just read the Fifty Shades of Grey series
I read some reviews which did not impress me. My last book was a fascinating item, Pagan Christmas. It's a fascinating study delving into the ethnobotany of Christmas. I've appended a link.

Now I have another question? What do people think in general of mysteries with recipes included or of mysteries with talking animals who are usually the first to solve the crime. What about mystery series set in bookstores, craft stores, restaurants, etc. or who have specific hobbies usually associated with women? What about mysteries with a bit of the paranormal?

I'm referring to cozies, not blood and guts stuff. I'm interested in discovering if I'm the only man who likes these as they always have female protagonists. One of my favorites is Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series.

http://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Christma...agan+christmas

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 12-31-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
I don't remember the last time I went to a movie theater - it's been a long long time. I get lots of DVDs and books at the library. We have 40 of them in our county and the books fly between all 40 - it's gotten to be a busy place since this recession. Yes, you do have to wait but I get on a waiting list as soon as a book/DVD gets posted in the library's web site.

I had yet to see a great film adaptation of any great novel till I saw this current Les Mis movie. I also recently went to see the new movie Anna Karenina (Tolstoi) fearing the worst, and I was instinctively right. That was the first great novel I read in high school and even at that age I understood her complex character and her dilemma. The new movie is a 2-dimensional look at her life with so much Hollywood glitz, I almost left the theater. The novel was not about throwing herself under the train but the movie made that the big dramatic moment of the book, which is a real shame. And the guy they cast as Vronsky (her lover) was completely non-believable in that role. For me, seeing certain movies on the big theater screen as opposed to on a TV makes all the difference. The Les Mis scenes will not come across on a TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement