U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Whoa, Umb, stunning neighbors you have there! How old is she now, just shy of three months?

At least I beat the rain bringing in the groceries.

Good news; we found out that our chiropractor can refer us to an orthopaedist! All we need is a fresh xray which my chiro has been wanting to do anyway. Hopefully this is the first step......praying.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:44 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Whoa, Umb, stunning neighbors you have there! How old is she now, just shy of three months?

At least I beat the rain bringing in the groceries.

Good news; we found out that our chiropractor can refer us to an orthopaedist! All we need is a fresh xray which my chiro has been wanting to do anyway. Hopefully this is the first step......praying.
Ms Prada was born around 3/1/2014

Good news on the ortho!!!!

Last edited by Umbria; 05-30-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
What handsome and graceful horses!

This is the Chinese year of the horse, you know. I was born in the year of the horse ... that is why you will see some depictions of horses around my house, such as the bronze horse statue on my fireplace mantelpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Exactly how does one clean a chandeliere???????
I "undress" it first - the strands of crystals and individual crystal prisms are removed and given a bath and a rinse. It's kinda like taking the ornaments off a Christmas tree. The glass "column" or "trunk" of the fixture is wiped down. After the crystals are dried I re-hang them. It is a tedious job. I usually do it once a year. I even wipe the light bulbs.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Off to take hubby to hospital. Big surgery ahead. Prayers, please!

On my way out the door, one of my dear friends posted this article about our mutual hometown. I thought it summed up things very well. I am moving back there and very excited about going back home. I highly recommend it for seniors thinking about relocating . . . I would NEVER have even considered moving back until recently. Very senior friendly. In fact, I am continually brought nearly to tears from well-wishers welcoming me "back home" . . . I'll even be attending my former church.

While it is true that "you can't go home again" in the sense of life not being static, you can go home again if you recognize that the familiar is comforting but life will unfold in that space in new ways, just as it does any time you relocate.

And that is part of the joy of the adventure.

Hickory | Our State Magazine

PS> for those who read the article, YES, "Homer's" was one of the first places I took hubby to introduce him to my home town, lol. Next was the BBQ joint . . .

Old 05-31-2014, 12:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Prayers for your DH and your family.

Interesting turn of events for you to move to Hickory. Hugs to all.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
My prayers to you and your husband, Ani. Hoping everything will go ok for you.

I actually spent one night in Hickory on my Asheville, Greenville(SC) trip last year. I wanted to see the Furniture Warehouse badly, but didn't have enough time until the flight from Charlotte back here. I stayed in a nice hotel and the whole thing was non smoking. It was the day of the Boston bombing, so I will always remember it. Looks like seniors could be very happy there.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:58 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Prayers for DH, Ani.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
As people ... ahem ... over a certain age ... we learn to recognize and accept the medical issues that arise in our bodies and those of our aging loved ones. Growing old is a privilege that not everyone is afforded; however we pay a price as our health begins to deteriorate.

I do not like to dwell on my health issues. When I'm with other elders and the discussion turns to doctors, medicines, procedures, hospitals, etc. I find that I become bored after 15 minutes or so.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Wow, Clark, thanks for the cleaning tips. I love chandeliers. When is the big party?

LOL about the health issues, you sound like my dad, he can't stand it, either, makes old folks seem old. OTOH, he's always telling me about every single procedure he's had or having done! Go figure.

Prayers and hugs, Ani and ayone else in need. You must be thrilled to be going back to your church. How long has it been since you were there?

Well, spent the weekend trying to start the old Benz, she won't jump start so the battery is on the charger.

Then, while driving the enormous heavy battery to the workshop I slam the brakes on in his rig and foot goes to floor, service brake light comes on. LMAO five vehicles and two are roadworthy.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Off to take hubby to hospital. Big surgery ahead. Prayers, please!

On my way out the door, one of my dear friends posted this article about our mutual hometown. I thought it summed up things very well. I am moving back there and very excited about going back home. I highly recommend it for seniors thinking about relocating . . . I would NEVER have even considered moving back until recently. Very senior friendly. In fact, I am continually brought nearly to tears from well-wishers welcoming me "back home" . . . I'll even be attending my former church.

While it is true that "you can't go home again" in the sense of life not being static, you can go home again if you recognize that the familiar is comforting but life will unfold in that space in new ways, just as it does any time you relocate.

And that is part of the joy of the adventure.

Hickory | Our State Magazine

PS> for those who read the article, YES, "Homer's" was one of the first places I took hubby to introduce him to my home town, lol. Next was the BBQ joint . . .
Prayers go with you to Duke. I'll bet you're well-organized to a T. When I had a tough hospitalization at one of my births, I recorded (on a handheld recorder) everything the docs said, even on rounds. That could help. Please check in with us and let us know how things go along the way. Each step in the process is a step forward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement