U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Do you love summer theater and what are you going to see?
We are going to see The Liar at The Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival later this month. It's across the river from us but takes forty minutes to get there. They began adding one non-Shakespeare play each season a few years ago. Being this close to NYC, the performances are top notch in a rustic setting. We've gone every season for years.

The plays are performed in a tent overlooking the Hudson River with the mountains as a backdrop. The grounds are opened two hours before performances for picnics on the lawn with a fabulous view. It's bring your own or elegant picnics can be ordered in advance and picked up there. A crew in costume walks through striking a triangle when it's time to pack up and put things away before finding our seats before the performance.

The actors enter through the sides, front and the back of the audience. The tent has its challenges for the director and there are some very innovative ways they handle it. I love it when the cast raises from below the hill in front to majestically enter the tent. It's like nothing else I've seen and we look forward to it every year.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-06-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 02:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We are going to see The Liar at The Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival later this month. It's across the river from us but takes forty minutes to get there. They began adding one non-Shakespeare play each season a few years ago. Being this close to NYC, the performances are top notch in a rustic setting. We've gone every season for years.

The plays are performed in a tent overlooking the Hudson River with the mountains as a backdrop. The grounds are opened two hours before performances for picnics on the lawn with a fabulous view. It's bring your own or elegant picnics can be ordered in advance and picked up there. A crew in costume walks through striking a triangle when it's time to pack up and put things away before finding our seats before the performance.

The actors enter through the sides, front and the back of the audience. The tent has its challenges for the director and there are some very innovative ways they handle it. I love it when the cast raises from below the hill in front to majestically enter the tent. It's like nothing else I've seen and we look forward to it every year.
This looks wonderful, I'm going to look into it online! Thanks for posting.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
[quote - CCc girl] Tom Hanks, ...
Ummmm ...

When Officer Clark was 30 (when this picture was taken) his friends mentioned that he had a very slight and vague resemblance to Tom Hanks.

[/quote]

Not really. He has a very slight and vague resemblance to you.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:45 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Wow, the resemblance is incredible, Clark!!!!! Soooooo handsome!!!!!!

I broke down and saw the doc yesterday. Both he and pharmacist agreed it's the Bactrim, not the Zyrtec. I'm on a short course of prednisone, Claritin and Famotidine. Apparently Bactrim is scary stuff, over one third of those prescribed it are allergic and it's been banned in the UK.

If anyone has any experience with prednisone side effects please post, the bumps are down but I feel nervous/jittery.......no appetite, maybe nervous from no food?

Old 06-07-2014, 03:07 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

I broke down and saw the doc yesterday. Both he and pharmacist agreed it's the Bactrim, not the Zyrtec. I'm on a short course of prednisone, Claritin and Famotidine. Apparently Bactrim is scary stuff, over one third of those prescribed it are allergic and it's been banned in the UK.

If anyone has any experience with prednisone side effects please post, the bumps are down but I feel nervous/jittery.......no appetite, maybe nervous from no food?

Hope this new stuff works - and yes, no food with all those meds probably will get you jittery. EAT!!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Umb, my mouth tastes like crap I'm drinking lots of soda and juice to get rid of the Bactrim.

Ugh, it sems the rash can take up to two weeks to go away. I feel sorry for anyone who has psoriasis, this is awful.

Now I'm having muscle tightness in my neck and back. 'Tightness' in the top of my head.

I did manage to get DH out and help me put the battery back in the Benz. She starts and runs but then stalls. I believe one of the fuses in the overvoltage protection relay is blown from us trying to jump start her. Thank you, internet!

I transferred all my personal stuff into my inherited LeSabre. The floor mats are a perfect match.

The Benz will go out front for sale, if anyone is interested you can DM me. 1986 560SEL.

OK, Umb, I'm going to cave and cook some ramen, I haven't had it in years, and I figured since nothing tastes good why cook so I bought a bunch of junk food yesterday, canned soup, burritos, ramen. mmmmmmm

Old 06-07-2014, 03:22 PM

negirl & inne, have either of you been to Tanglewood music festival? I always wanted to go........

And ironically, I have never seen a show at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and ir's only an hour away

Old 06-07-2014, 05:31 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Just had a course of Prednisone for undocumented virus of unknown origin. Yes, I was jittery too. My eyes got all blurry and my tongue got white. When I started itching in that secret place, I realized I had candida yeast infection and went to the store to get Nizoral inserts. The Prednisone has to be tapered off gradually so don't stop it suddenly. It did help me with the virus, but I had no appetite and did not gain a pound, which is usually one of the side effects. Hope it helps you !

Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Bactrim-- that is ringing a bell. I had that for a sinus infection a few years ago and was really sick from it. I have it written down somewhere in the notes I keep. I had to get off it and get another antibiotic. They also tried steroids and I got sick within a day or so and had to get off them.

If you're on antibiotics you really shouldn't be eating sweet things like soda or you could get a yeast infection. I hope you get better really soon.

Re: Tanglewood. I used to go all the time with my Ex. He was avidly into classical music and would get season tickets. The grounds are very beautiful and the whole area is really upscale and fancy. We lived withing driving distance back then. I don't go anymore--it's way too far from where I live now. I have been checking summer theater but can't find anything that I haven't already seen (a long time ago--but still, if I'm going to go I want to see something I haven't seen before.) There's a good one at the Cape but odds are we won't get out there again this summer.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:55 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Sometimes I come across threads in other forums which have some relevance to this Retirement Forum. One such thread is "What do you live for and what keeps you going" in the Psychology Forum. I believe it's an important question for retirees, but of course it's also a question which can surface at any age, as a general question.

Also I wonder how many regulars in the Retirement forum also spend time in other City-Data forums? I do encounter some of you "out there" from time to time. I'll never forget our beloved Anifani coming to my defense when I was under siege in the Writing Forum one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement