U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
One of the things that disturbs me about condos is that only one pet is allowed, typically one cat OR one dog under 25 lb. That means that, as boomers go into senior housing, condos, and asst living, there are going to be an awful lot of dear dogs and cats that will go to shelters (there already are). If acquiring a pet after the age of 55 or 60, maybe best to adopt an older one. But then, vet bills can be hefty as the dog (and we) get even older.
It is a real problem. There are plenty of old people who die as well or are forced into hospices and nursing homes. We all need pet trusts or clear instructions in our wills. The 25# limit is silly. I had a 65# German Shepherd whom I adopted when she was 12 1/2. She would have been fine even in the tiniest place. Two or three or four cats are just as easy as one. I have a tenant on a farm I own who has fourteen. There isn't the slightest odor. She's no kid though and I do realize that I may at some point have them as my responsibility; that's part of our deal. She came from LA, but loves living on a remote farm. She originally called for a psychic reading. About a year later she called to discuss retirement options; I'd closed on the place the day before. We both knew that that was no coincidence.

My ten year old dog isn't the same since her old pal died. I know that I need to fix that as best I can

Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
My ten year old dog isn't the same since her old pal died. I know that I need to fix that as best I can
Get a couple more As previously mentioned, there are plenty that need homes.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Get a couple more As previously mentioned, there are plenty that need homes.
I know it will happen. When I found her she was four months old; she'd been hit by a car. I don't care about breed, age, or sex. But an old dog makes more sense for an old man with a ten year old dog and a cat who's at least nine.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I underpaid my ATT wireless bill by 10 cents last month. A mistake, but one that generated a $5 late fee on this month's bill.

I like to use online live chat with companies, it allows me to think and calmly reply in conversations. I used it today and did get the charge removed. Unfortunately, the representative I was chatting with had the screen name of 'Jennifer Grey'. I couldn't resist and at the end of our convo I said: "Thank you for the help today, I had the time of my life."
My mom was once short 35 cents on a credit card bill. They charged her a $35 fee! She got it taken off but they weren't real nice about it.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I know it will happen. When I found her she was four months old; she'd been hit by a car. I don't care about breed, age, or sex. But an old dog makes more sense for an old man with a ten year old dog and a cat who's at least nine.
I think you're right. I need to make arrangements for my cats...just in case. I haven't really thought about it for a long time. I guess I still think I'm invincible...lol

Up until a few years ago I had always had kittens given to me. The ones I got at the Humane Society always ended up being lost to me. Two got 'catnapped'...really! Two I had to rehome when I moved to AK for my ex's job. I have one now that I adopted in 2007 and she's now 14. The second one I got as a 7 week old kitten, right after I got the first one, so she's now 7. I honestly didn't realize how old they were! I thought 12 and 5. Yeah, I guess it's true...times flies even when you aren't having fun! lol Anyway, they are both in good health, although probably fatter than they should be but I can't seem to change that. My last cat died at age 12 from diabetes and it's attendant complications. I managed to keep him alive for a year with insulin shots twice a day and special food. Very expensive but I loved him and he was the last of three I'd had since kittenhood. After he died I used to catch glimpses of him around the house and I never would tell myself I was imagining it.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
We got new windows installed today. Just in time for this:http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
We got new windows installed today. Just in time for this:Storm Prediction Center Jun 13, 2014 1730 UTC Day 2 Convective Outlook
I saw that Neb was going to get it again. Bummer!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Not a good sign that TWC is in Omaha.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Not a good sign that TWC is in Omaha.
It was better than that - it was news on the MSN homepage. We are having really strong winds here too - I have a huge maple in the front that I'm watching - I should have thinned it out. Let's hope it stays upright - no trees in my LR

Old 06-14-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It was better than that - it was news on the MSN homepage. We are having really strong winds here too - I have a huge maple in the front that I'm watching - I should have thinned it out. Let's hope it stays upright - no trees in my LR
We've been having bad winds here too. Yesterday it was so bad I had to actually fight to get to my car after work! Couldn't believe it wanted to blow me back in there! lol We usually get our worst winds in May but this year they started in April and, evidently, are still bugging us. We NEED the wind in August when it's hot and still. Sometimes we get it along with a huge thunderstorm and I can't wait for that! Another two weeks....!!! Right now it's fairly calm. Just enough to make the windchimes sound nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement