U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2014, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

It's been a dramatic week here down on the farm. Like Hitchcock's Psycho.

For the first time in our lives (and we are old) we have had a bevy of birds crashing straight into our windows nonstop, thumping against the glass on all sides of the house as often as ten times in ten minutes in daylight hours. It doesn't seem to be the usual case of some stray bird accidentally hitting a window; it seems like an orchestrated onslaught. We tried hanging tin foil pans (that created more noise hitting the house than the birds did), streamers, decals, etc. Finally we soaped up the glass on the two sliders and this morning so far no kamikaze dives into those at least. But we have to live with the soaped up windows! Anyone hear of this and have a solution??

 
Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757
Putting a Hawk silhouette decal (on the outside, of course) did work for us. I have no better ideas.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Thanks all for your pet postings. We are the guardians of the innocent. I will be here to the end for every one of them.

Prayers to those in need and those of you in bad weather situations, be prepared and I pray you are safe.

neggirl I have no clue what to do on your Birds scenario. Pipe some classical music outside?

DH is still greiving hard, I am holding down the fort. But I'm used to it. I'll bet there are over thirty graves in the pet boneyard. I wouldn't trade one.

Peace.......<3
 
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 AM
 
8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Reputation: 18521
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
One of the things that disturbs me about condos is that only one pet is allowed, typically one cat OR one dog under 25 lb.
You write that as if there is one universal rule that all condos follow. That is simply not the case. Some condo associations don't allow any pets, and some may put limits on the size of the pet as you describe and limit ownership to only one. However, there are condos that allow multiple pets and that don't put weight restrictions on those pets. If you have large and/or multiple pets, you just need to limit your search to condos that meet your requirements. It's really not that difficult to do. In fact, my condo association allows multiple pets of any size and weight.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thanks all for your pet postings. We are the guardians of the innocent. I will be here to the end for every one of them.

Prayers to those in need and those of you in bad weather situations, be prepared and I pray you are safe.

neggirl I have no clue what to do on your Birds scenario. Pipe some classical music outside?

DH is still greiving hard, I am holding down the fort. But I'm used to it. I'll bet there are over thirty graves in the pet boneyard. I wouldn't trade one.

Peace.......<3
Hey CCc (why do I think of Bette Midler from "Beaches" every time I see your name???)

Sorry about your little cat. I have no doubt you both gave her a good life.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Thanks, Umb. At one time we had twenty two. Some were in the barn. I think we had thirteen in the house. We have the secret sign on the building that says 'Cat Hotel, all are welcome.'

I feel blessed that we had our time together. DH is not taking it so well, more like a six year old. (no offense to you youngsters out there.) But thse are the qualities that make me love him. It's kinda funny, he's 14 years older than me and I'm the 'mature' one. LMFAO.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You write that as if there is one universal rule that all condos follow. That is simply not the case. Some condo associations don't allow any pets, and some may put limits on the size of the pet as you describe and limit ownership to only one. However, there are condos that allow multiple pets and that don't put weight restrictions on those pets. If you have large and/or multiple pets, you just need to limit your search to condos that meet your requirements. It's really not that difficult to do. In fact, my condo association allows multiple pets of any size and weight.
I can tell you that in these parts, allowing more than one pet in a condo is extremely rare, if at all. If you can find one, it would likely be "one dog" under 25 lb and "one cat." You find that out by phoning the realtor, as the "pet law" is not included in the REFS listing. We had to do this in our extensive search for condos for 3 elders. One realtor from the South who is practicing here told me that the one pet thing (under 25 lb) is almost a phenomenon in New England. It may be different in 55+ communities. Note to realtors, please insert the pet law into condo listings.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 03:23 PM
 
8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Reputation: 18521
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I can tell you that in these parts, allowing more than one pet in a condo is extremely rare, if at all. If you can find one, it would likely be "one dog" under 25 lb and "one cat." You find that out by phoning the realtor, as the "pet law" is not included in the REFS listing. We had to do this in our extensive search for condos for 3 elders. One realtor from the South who is practicing here told me that the one pet thing (under 25 lb) is almost a phenomenon in New England. It may be different in 55+ communities. Note to realtors, please insert the pet law into condo listings.
It's been included in the online sites (realtor.com, ziprealty, etc.) in every places I've ever lived since the advent of the Internet. Now granted, the info isn't always 100% correct, but each site has a special field for the agents to include this info.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 05:44 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
I was looking online today for alternate places to live (just dreaming) and there were places that allowed a dog and a cat or any size dog but certain breeds were excluded, there were all sorts of combinations. But you don't often see that here in New England. It's mostly no pets.

If I'm looking at a real estate site or Craigs List RE I always check the DOG box because I don't even want to know about the places that think people should have to live without their pets. IMHO, pet lovers are usually nice people and those places that exclude pets exclude a lot of nice people too.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's been included in the online sites (realtor.com, ziprealty, etc.) in every places I've ever lived since the advent of the Internet. Now granted, the info isn't always 100% correct, but each site has a special field for the agents to include this info.
This is the typical condo listing you get on realtor.com in my area:

REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Once in a while a listing will say "pets allowed" but you have to connect with a realtor (always a sticky situation) to find out exactly how many and how heavy, and most often you get "one dog, 25 lb or under" or the same with one cat. Must be a New England bias against pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top