U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 06:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times

Advertisements

July 1. Hottest day here so far, 91 degrees and humid. The atmosphere feels unsettled though there's no thunder or rain yet. The dogs are hiding in the bathroom on the cool tiles, they sense something is up. There's an occasional weird hot breeze that signifies something.

Haven't put on the central a.c. yet this season but if this keeps up we may. Opening the windows at night and closing windows and curtains and blinds early in the morning, with the cross breezes, has been comfortable. I guess we're officially into summer now. Glad I don't live anywhere warmer than here.

Just heard the report that the hurricane is moving on the coast a bit faster than predicted.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM

One other strange thing. The onslaught of birds flying into our windows has stopped. Now, a good six weeks before they're supposed to be heard, the crickets are loud and clear. They usually herald "old summer," or August.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
This has been a strange year so far, weather wise. This is the time of year when it is high 90s and even low 100s and right now it's <drum roll> 60F! The air has felt like fall for days - like I blinked and missed summer.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
July 1. Hottest day here so far, 91 degrees and humid. The atmosphere feels unsettled though there's no thunder or rain yet. The dogs are hiding in the bathroom on the cool tiles, they sense something is up. There's an occasional weird hot breeze that signifies something.

Haven't put on the central a.c. yet this season but if this keeps up we may. Opening the windows at night and closing windows and curtains and blinds early in the morning, with the cross breezes, has been comfortable. I guess we're officially into summer now. Glad I don't live anywhere warmer than here.

Just heard the report that the hurricane is moving on the coast a bit faster than predicted.
The temperature here is currently 69; it's 70 in Cody. The expected overnight low is 46. I have my front and back doors open to capture a delightful, albeit a bit dusty, breeze. I have yet to need my fan at night this year.

We had a mild winter followed by a very wet spring. I need to get some weeds out, however, because I don't think they'll be lush and green much longer.

My dog barks at thunderstorms. Her beloved pack leader and mentor taught her how to do it to scare the storm. She's certainly happier doing that than hiding. It's interesting that loud noises don't bother cats at all.

We have swarms of tourists; I haven't been able to get everything on my grocery list for a month. In fact, Walmart has been out of every brand of Garbanzo Beans for about two months. I'm headed to town tomorrow; Wednesday seems to be the day when the stores have the fullest stocks. I'm hoping that the cheese store will have Gorgonzola, Roquefort, and Humboldt Fog.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-01-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This has been a strange year so far, weather wise. This is the time of year when it is high 90s and even low 100s and right now it's <drum roll> 60F! The air has felt like fall for days - like I blinked and missed summer.
Sixty degrees on July 1??? Now I'm jealous. That is a perfect temperature. I wonder if fall is going to be early, you with the cold temps and we here with the deafening crickets. Corn as high as an elephant's eye yet? Oklahoma ! Oh What a Beautiful Morning and More (HD 720p) - YouTube

Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Just want everyone to know I got back safe and sound from my Florida vacation.

My older brother, who lives near Tampa (he's 62 and retiring in 6 months) made a big fuss over me and treated me to some nice meals and took me on a "tour" of Tampa. This is interesting because we were never really that close.

I stayed in St. Pete. The temp was about 94 or 95 ... but it felt like 105! It was beautiful, though.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Just want everyone to know I got back safe and sound from my Florida vacation.

My older brother, who lives near Tampa (he's 62 and retiring in 6 months) made a big fuss over me and treated me to some nice meals and took me on a "tour" of Tampa. This is interesting because we were never really that close.

I stayed in St. Pete. The temp was about 94 or 95 ... but it felt like 105! It was beautiful, though.
Welcome back. It must seem cool after 105. I'm glad your brother treated you so well, things do change, sometimes for the better.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
I had a feeling you would get closer this trip, Clark. Retirement looming may have changed his perspective.

Agree all around on the crazy weather. The sound of crickets and the solstice passingmake me mad, it's like winter is just around the corner and we just got out of he last one.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:

For living in Arizona it's not been too bad here, so far. We are about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix but 100+ is HOT, I don't care where you are. Yesterday I had a morning of errand running and grocery shopping and it was hot, hot, hot. Around 1 PM it clouded over and, as long as the sun isn't directly searing us, it does get cooler. So, we were at about 103. Around 2 PM it started to thunder all around us, the wind picked up and by 4 PM we got our 'rain'. Okay, five minutes of sprinkles but the temp dropped to 70! lol It IS the start of our Monsoons and I am really hoping we get a 'normal' one this year.

I don't have central air but do have a swamp cooler and, even though humidity will cut down on it's efficiency a little, it does a great job for my house. I turn the cooler on around noon and turn it off around 7 PM. I have never run the cooler overnight but I do have ceiling fans and a box fan I can place at the foot of the bed. I have windows open and, like you, keep curtains and blinds closed to keep the heat out. Feels like living in a cave sometimes but it beats being broiled!

I am very grateful that I don't live in an area that has hurricanes or tornadoes!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Sixty degrees on July 1??? Now I'm jealous. That is a perfect temperature. I wonder if fall is going to be early, you with the cold temps and we here with the deafening crickets. Corn as high as an elephant's eye yet?
Oklahoma ! Oh What a Beautiful Morning and More (HD 720p) - YouTube
You would love the Oregon coast. lol When I went up on vacation two years ago it was HOT all the way to Portland up the I-5 corridor. About 105. Then I spent three days on the coast and it was about 60 for a HIGH and 'drizzly'. Since I had lived there for 11 years I was aware of the huge difference and took clothes I knew I'd need. From shorts to sweats real quick.

Our Cicadas are out and sounding pretty 'lusty'. That generally marks the beginning of the Monsoons. They drive some folks nuts but I don't mind hearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement