U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 AM
 
30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Reputation: 11958

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Thanks!

Yesterday, DW & I went walking along the ocean shore for a couple of miles, past the big resorts such as Eden Roc & Fountainbleu, and then stopped for lunch and drinks a little further down at Tiki Bar on the boardwalk overlooking the beach. We stayed home last night and went out on our balcony to watch the midnight fireworks exploding over the downtown Miami skyline across the bay.

Just another day in paradise.
Yup, having transplanted and participating in this forum I have begun to realize there can be different regional mindsets and expectations in life. Yours is reflective of a region you came from.

 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 AM
 
8,319 posts, read 12,071,104 times
Reputation: 18503
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The Les Mis scenes will not come across on a TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Get a big TV
Not only will a big tv not suffice, I didn't even want to see this movie on a standard-size movie screen. I specifically chose an AMC ETX theater which features a wall-to-wall & floor-to-ceiling high-resolution screen as well as surround sound. It's available in twelve or so cities around the country, so if you have one near you, I strongly suggest that you seek it out for Les Miz.

See it in AMC ETX - Breathtaking Sound. Incredible Picture Resolution. Collosal Wall-to-Wall Screen.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
Reputation: 42872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Love mysteries - just reread Nelson DeMille's "The Gate House" - he is a fantastic writer.
I definitely like his books, not only as mysteries but as tours of a part of Long Island that I know quite well. Although his descriptions of Bayville are sometimes hilariously off (I think he has this impression that it's divier than it really is), the descriptions of Oyster Bay, Muttontown, etc. are perfect. And his characters know the right short cuts to take and plant their gardens in the way people in that are do--nice to see accurate touches like that.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Reputation: 22439
As many of you know, I am a writer by profession, but have never tackled a novel (newspaper, magazine, white papers, ghostwriting, speech writing, etc - but no novels). I am reading what you all are writing about the types of novels you enjoy with great interest. I want to hear more!
 
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As many of you know, I am a writer by profession, but have never tackled a novel (newspaper, magazine, white papers, ghostwriting, speech writing, etc - but no novels). I am reading what you all are writing about the types of novels you enjoy with great interest. I want to hear more!
I would assume you are aware of the Books sub-forum of the Entertainment Forum. If not, you will find lots of reading there on the exact topic you are raising. Most of the discussions revolve around fiction; people interested in non-fiction seem to gravitate more to the specific forum about whatever topic it may be. For example I have posted about certain non-fiction books in the History Forum.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I definitely like his books, not only as mysteries but as tours of a part of Long Island that I know quite well. Although his descriptions of Bayville are sometimes hilariously off (I think he has this impression that it's divier than it really is), the descriptions of Oyster Bay, Muttontown, etc. are perfect. And his characters know the right short cuts to take and plant their gardens in the way people in that are do--nice to see accurate touches like that.
He throws in a bit of humor which I really like (listening anifani?).
 
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As many of you know, I am a writer by profession, but have never tackled a novel (newspaper, magazine, white papers, ghostwriting, speech writing, etc - but no novels). I am reading what you all are writing about the types of novels you enjoy with great interest. I want to hear more!
Ani, check out the elegant novels by contemporary author Stewart O'Nan. I just finished The Odds:
The Works of Stewart O'Nan

As an editor, I can attest to the quality of his writing.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
Reputation: 42872
Anifani, I think you should write a novel about us! Think about all the characters we have on this forum. And a forum where all the participants assume everyone is a stranger... but maybe we aren't... has potential for all sorts of plots.

I wrote a murder mystery once to help raise money for a cause, and let me tell you that my hat is off to people who publish novels--it's harder than you'd think. I guess I just assumed that since it was fiction, it would be easy. Nope--it took almost 2 months to complete. I find nonfiction very easy to write, but writing a complex story like a mystery and making all the subplots resolve so that it sounds believable turned out to be surprisingly tricky.

All the characters were people involved in the cause. It was hilarious because everyone wanted to be the murderer (or one of the victims). We ended up holding a drawing to see who finally got the honor.

(By the way--this is a great way to raise money for a charity. The book cost about $1000 to publish and we raised 3-4 times that amount. If you want to take on the project just as a fun thing to do, I recommend bringing up the idea to some group you're involved in. Great retirement project, and a good way to help out a charity, as well.)
 
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
 
30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Reputation: 11958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Anifani, I think you should write a novel about us! Think about all the characters we have on this forum. And a forum where all the participants assume everyone is a stranger... but maybe we aren't... has potential for all sorts of plots.

I wrote a murder mystery once to help raise money for a cause, and let me tell you that my hat is off to people who publish novels--it's harder than you'd think. I guess I just assumed that since it was fiction, it would be easy. Nope--it took almost 2 months to complete. I find nonfiction very easy to write, but writing a complex story like a mystery and making all the subplots resolve so that it sounds believable turned out to be surprisingly tricky.

All the characters were people involved in the cause. It was hilarious because everyone wanted to be the murderer (or one of the victims). We ended up holding a drawing to see who finally got the honor.

(By the way--this is a great way to raise money for a charity. The book cost about $1000 to publish and we raised 3-4 times that amount. If you want to take on the project just as a fun thing to do, I recommend bringing up the idea to some group you're involved in. Great retirement project, and a good way to help out a charity, as well.)
That could be interesting
 
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I would assume you are aware of the Books sub-forum of the Entertainment Forum. If not, you will find lots of reading there on the exact topic you are raising. Most of the discussions revolve around fiction; people interested in non-fiction seem to gravitate more to the specific forum about whatever topic it may be. For example I have posted about certain non-fiction books in the History Forum.
Thank you, ER!

I will have to pop over there again . . . what I found in the past was more or less reviews . . . and I am interested in finding out what "style" excites folks. I will take a look - thank you for the suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top