U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 03:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
ani, could you put a close relative's name on the deed temporarily and get the insurance policy under his/her name till you actually move in?
No way I would do that. This would be such a mess to straighten out with taxes and I don't want to cloud my own deed with a quitclaim, etc. No way.

I will just have to take a car off the existing policy and see if someone will then issue a policy for both the auto and the townhouse. I am mad as hell about it. Strongarm tactics.

And I am also upset that my existing carrier will not work with me - even for some kind of temporary policy that has coverage until I sell the Charlotte house.

There is something so fundamentally wrong with all this . . . I should not have to play games in order to PAY for insurance coverage, lol. Not like someone is giving this coverage away for free.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have called all the major companies such as Allstate, NC Farm Bureau, State Farm, Nationwide, plus 2 brokerages and no one will write a policy. Every single one has told me the same thing - they will not write a policy for property unless they also are covering my auto.
What would they tell you if you did not own a vehicle and did not drive?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821
Just a rant . . . so frustrated and upset. Can't get anyone to issue an insurance policy on my recently purchased townhome. There is some kind of crazy "underwriters rule" in the region where the TH is located . . . no one will issue a policy without also having coverage on the person's auto.

My current residences and cars are all bundled with one policy. My current insurer won't insure my townhome b/c it is not my primary residence.
Then your current insurer never ever insures vacation and/or second homes??

A last ditch effort would be to tell your current insurer that they either insure everything - or you'll be taking all of your business elsewhere.

Years ago when I bought a cabin, my insurer** told me they wouldn't add it to my policy because "even with the cleared space, the mountain cabin has too many trees around it." Well, duh. It was in the mountains. I moved everything to a different company.

What a racket.

ETA - **State Farm was the old insurer. I would never ever do business with them again.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Then your current insurer never ever insures vacation and/or second homes??

A last ditch effort would be to tell your current insurer that they either insure everything - or you'll be taking all of your business elsewhere.

Years ago when I bought a cabin, my insurer** told me they wouldn't add it to my policy because "even with the cleared space, the mountain cabin has too many trees around it." Well, duh. It was in the mountains. I moved everything to a different company.

What a racket.

ETA - **State Farm was the old insurer. I would never ever do business with them again.
State Farm won't ever get my business again, either. Was with them for nearly 30 years, despite moves - always stayed with them. Their rates skyrocketed last year or so - I guess it was in 2012 . . . and that is when we switched carriers.

Part of the problem is - we have our primary residence and our mountain cottage insured w/ our present carrier. Evidently, they don't want to insure more than 2 properties. I don't get it . . . seems they would be happy to get the business - we have never filed a claim with any insurance carrier since 1993.

It is a racket!!!! Absolutely.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
What would they tell you if you did not own a vehicle and did not drive?
I told one company that this morning and they instantly said . . . well I am sorry - it is our company policy not to underwrite a homeowner's policy without underwriting an auto, also.

They were very nice about it, went on and on about how they could provide me with car insurance without HO insurance but not the other way around.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Odd coincidence today. I was in Blacksburg, VA sitting in the waiting room of the surgeon who removed my gall bladder last week and took out my Kindle and randomly started a new book. By page three of the story a commercial airliner on route from DC to Dallas crashes into the side of a mountain near Blacksburg, VA.

I'm healing well and my appetite is back as of today. Still can not lift anything over 10 pounds for another 3 weeks. I'm not sure but I think my little shop vac that I use on the hardwood floors throughout this house might weigh more than 10 pounds, especially when it's really full of dog hair.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I was in Blacksburg, VA sitting in the waiting room of the surgeon who removed my gall bladder last week and took out my Kindle....
ROFL!!! I obviously misread.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I told one company that this morning and they instantly said . . . well I am sorry - it is our company policy not to underwrite a homeowner's policy without underwriting an auto, also.

They were very nice about it, went on and on about how they could provide me with car insurance without HO insurance but not the other way around.
So if you own a home but elect not to own a car, as many seniors do, you're uninsurable?
That seems outrageous. I'd be so mad I'd contact my attorney-general.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Happy 4th of July everyone!

Greetings from the city where it all started!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You don't like Jiminy???
Jiminy is cute. Jiminy TALKS! lol If I had a cricket that talked?? Well, I'd be a gazillionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement