U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I thought we were off the hook with the big storm, it passed over us yesterday after some gloomy dark. But the thunder is rolling in, dogs back under the bed, and it's humid like S.C. Anyone else in the path?
I live clear across the country from you but we've been getting beautiful, wet and lovely smelling RAIN since about 2 PM. The Monsoons are officially here and I'm so glad! It's been thundering here too and the cats are under the bed. lol Also somewhat humid but soooo much cooler than it was in the early afternoon. One more thing to love about the Monsoons.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I have crickets, lizards, moths, june bugs, the occasional stinkbug ... you name the critter, they get in under my screen door. Even with the tightly-fitted rubber sweep strip on the bottom of the door.

They're cat toys

But I'll take crickets over lizards any day. I like my evening breeze, but if lizard is sunning itself on my porch the wood door gets closed.
We have all those too but they don't get in the house. Well, my cat brings the lizards in. I find mummified lizards all over the place so, yeah, they are her "cat toys". The only thing I don't like finding in my house is spiders. We have Wolf spiders here and those things scare the beejeepers outta me because they jump! And you never know which way they are going. Fortunately I've only ever seen two in the five years I've lived here.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I told one company that this morning and they instantly said . . . well I am sorry - it is our company policy not to underwrite a homeowner's policy without underwriting an auto, also.

They were very nice about it, went on and on about how they could provide me with car insurance without HO insurance but not the other way around.
I can't even comprehend how they can do that, it makes no sense.

Our home in FL is insured by itself. DH has a company car with fleet insurance and my car is still licensed and insured in NY. Auto insurance never came up when we were insurance shopping for the house.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Insurance regulations vary state by state. Here in Calif. I have my homeowners' insurance with a different company than my car insurance.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
On another subject, Lyme disease is on the rise in some areas of the country, so outdoor-going seniors be aware. Apparently you can get a blood test for it and it can be pretty serious.

from today's news

Lyme disease: Misery, and mysteries, persist - CBS News

Old 07-04-2014, 07:53 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,208,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
On another subject, Lyme disease is on the rise in some areas of the country, so outdoor-going seniors be aware. Apparently you can get a blood test for it and it can be pretty serious.

from today's news

Lyme disease: Misery, and mysteries, persist - CBS News
I've had two of my dogs come down with it and both made a full recovery but it seems as though dogs have an easier time of it than people. I've also had two friends deal with it. One was not diagnosed for a long time and so was ill for several years before treatment was started and she still has not made a full recovery. The other friend came down with it last summer and was laid low for several months.

Just yesterday I saw that the sign board at my vets office is now recommending vaccinating dogs against lyme and we are seeing more and more cases of it in dogs in this rural area.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,298,566 times
Our dog had his booster shot for Lyme about a week ago. It's not 100% guaranteed but it's better than nothing. He still tests positive for Lyme antibodies from when he had it last year but we think he's rid of it. It's just from taking him for walks or from being out in the yard. That's how prevalent it is around here. Last spring, after it had been rainy for a few weeks, he came in from his walk one day, with 25 ticks on him! We took him to the vet right away to be tested. Antibiotics have (hopefully) cured him.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:32 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
{{{{{{{{{Zugor}}}}}}}}} how are you? On the mend, I hope<3

Lyme is awful, wouldn't wish it on anything. I wonder if there is a vaccination for humans?

Big storm has passed, no injuries reported thankfully. Prayers for the same outcome with Arthur. We're watching him closely, after Irene and Sandy we're pretty nery here in the northeast.

Happy Fourth, y'all.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:14 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Also somewhat humid
Please stop sending it my way.

Ghods, it's 60% humidity here. I can't breath.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:50 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Please stop sending it my way.

Ghods, it's 60% humidity here. I can't breath.

Ha Ha Ha!! Big baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement